Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which 70.3 (Coeur D'Alene or Buffalo Springs) ?
Quote | Reply
Just finished 70.3 Texas in Galveston, and I am looking to sign up for another 70.3 this summer. I am looking at Buffalo Springs and Coeur d'Alene. They are both the same weekend. I live in Texas so Buffalo Springs is obviously easier to get to, but flying up to Coeur d'Alene is not a deal breaker. Which race should I chose? .....

I am also planning on doing Boulder 70.3 and the new Waco 70.3 setting up for IMTX 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Which 70.3 (Coeur D'Alene or Buffalo Springs) ? [Etexag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buffalo Springs sucks ass (done it 4x) but would go back in a heart beat if I was still doing tri.

No experience with CDA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CDA is a beautiful venue and area, much more so than Lubbock. I would vote CDA

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Which 70.3 (Coeur D'Alene or Buffalo Springs) ? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CDA hands down.
Quote Reply
Re: Which 70.3 (Coeur D'Alene or Buffalo Springs) ? [Greg R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never understood people choosing a race because of the beauty of the surroundings.....you swim (can't see shit), you ride in aero and look at the concrete in front of you (can't see shit), and then run....hopefully so hard that the last thing on your mind is the scenery. I have not done CDA.....I have done Buffalo Springs. It is a serious bitch....the heat, the climb out the valleys, the wind......and if it worked into my life schedule this year, I would be doing it again. A true test. If you want an "easy" 70.3...this ain't it. If you did Galveston and you are asking about BS......you may be in Texas and BS may be a drive for you instead of transporting your bike via plane/TBT. That alone would narrow it down to me....not worth the expense. Of course everyone is different. I prefer easy logistics over sight seeing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been to CdA. I've raced at Buffalo Springs several times. Good (and challenging) venue, great race director, and Lubbock's not that bad. (I go there for the triathlon, not to see Disneyland or whales swimming. Plenty of hotel/motel rooms at reasonable rates, and enough places to eat and things to do to keep you set for a couple of days.) It's normally warm, sometimes hot, but it's always been wetsuit legal and there's plenty of support on the bike and run course. I'll be there again this year.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CDA and BSLT are two of my favorite venues. I’m in Texas, too, so the logistical issues with getting to CDA would make me choose BSLT. Be ready for a totally different feel than Galveston. It’s small. There’s no hotels nearby. The transition area may remind you of a sprint triathlon 15 years ago. You have to be prepared to adjust your game plan due to wind, heat, or both. As previously mentioned, the hills are serious, though none of them are particularly long. I see all those things as positives, but you may not if you’re hauling your family with you. If that’s the case, CDA is beautiful and a great destination, IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PNW local here. CdA is a great venue. Very scenic mountain destination. I would definitely be driving over if it weren't on the same day as a long running very popular local race for me. Weather will be a toss up. It might be 75 and beautiful, or it might be low 50s and raining with cold water temp. No way to tell in late June. If you're bringing a family it could be a very nice little vacation spot.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BSLT. It's a classic. And it's hard. Which makes the finish that much sweeter!
Mike and Marti Greer (race directors) are the BEST!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as I want to do Coeur d’Alene, the convenience of Buffalo Springs won out this year. I’ll hopefully do CDA one day as well. Thanks for all the replies.
Quote Reply
Re: Which 70.3 (Coeur D'Alene or Buffalo Springs) ? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I have never understood people choosing a race because of the beauty of the surroundings.....you swim (can't see shit), you ride in aero and look at the concrete in front of you (can't see shit), and then run....hopefully so hard that the last thing on your mind is the scenery. I have not done CDA.....I have done Buffalo Springs. It is a serious bitch....the heat, the climb out the valleys, the wind......and if it worked into my life schedule this year, I would be doing it again. A true test. If you want an "easy" 70.3...this ain't it. If you did Galveston and you are asking about BS......you may be in Texas and BS may be a drive for you instead of transporting your bike via plane/TBT. That alone would narrow it down to me....not worth the expense. Of course everyone is different. I prefer easy logistics over sight seeing.

I don't really notice scenery when racing either, but to say you wouldn't be more inspired and excited to jump in a beautiful clear and clean cascade lake then that is a shame. CDA is tough to get to, but if you have the time and the resources it is worth it. Wife and I loved the half last June, and wished we could have spent more than the 4+ days there that we did.
Quote Reply