Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where to swim and bike in Houston
Quote | Reply
Work is sending me to Houston for two weeks during my build to a 70.3. Looking for recommendations on places to swim or bike. Spin is fine too.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [HokiePhD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know where in the Houston area you will be staying/working?
When will this be?
Are you looking for open water swims or masters type?
Are you looking for weeknight rides, weekend rides?

Houston may not have the triathlon cred of Boulder or California but whatever you are looking for we have it. Except hills - we don’t do hills!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^ This

It really depends on where you'll be staying. Houston is a humongous area and our traffic is some of the worst in the country.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staying near the 8 Toll road and the ship channel on the east side of the city. I do have transportation to get to other places though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HokiePhD wrote:
Staying near the 8 Toll road and the ship channel on the east side of the city. I do have transportation to get to other places though

I would say your best bet for OW swimming is 288 lake (https://288lake.net/triathlon-training/).

For biking, how much free time do you have? Can you drive down to Galveston and ride that course? Also, check the Bike Barn ride calendar (https://bikebarn.com/...oming-rides-pg66.htm)

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Mar 1, 18 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HokiePhD wrote:

My condolences on where you're staying. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - Magnolia Masters

Bike - In your room on a trainer or drive to Austin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the 24 hour fitness on fairmont parkway near the beltway has a decent 3 lane pool. I've been there a dozen or so times.

5946 Fairmont Pkwy, Pasadena, TX 77505
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
HokiePhD wrote:

My condolences on where you're staying. :-)

Yikes. Yeah, bring your trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could go to Memorial Park and ride the Picnic Loop, a 1 mile loop where lots of people ride. Memorial Park is a bit of a drive from where you'll be staying though. You can also check with Philip Shama at Shama Cycles and see when he does his group rides, but he too is on the West Loop (610 Loop West and I-10 area).
Honestly, I ride 100% indoors on my trainer. Just no place really safe or close enough to go in this big city.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Swim - Magnolia Masters

Bike - In your room on a trainer or drive to Austin

+1 on Magnolia Masters
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Swim - Magnolia Masters

Did you even read where he's staying? That's at least an hours drive each way.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Did you even read where he's staying? That's at least an hours drive each way

Yeah, and that's at midnight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Swim - Magnolia Masters

Did you even read where he's staying? That's at least an hours drive each way.

Exactly. Anyone that said Magnolia Masters is either an idiot or has never been to Houston. It's a 60 mile drive from the Channelview area to Magnolia. That's about a 70-75 minute drive each way in perfect traffic conditions, which doesn't exist here, so realistically 1:20 to 1:30 on a good day. Rush hour and that's a two hour drive each way.

Riding is going to be a tough one for him given his location. Houston sucks ass for bike riding in general but it's 10x worse on the east side of town. There's nothing over there. Best bets would be to check out the Bike Barn rides going out of their Atascocita store (20 miles to the north) or their Clear Lake store (20 miles to the south). I'd probably head south to the Clear Lake store. That area is at least a bit more scenic, albeit with more vehicular traffic.

The best cycling around Houston is the quadrant that basically runs west to north (or north to west depending on your perspective) that includes the Katy/Fulshear, Hockley/Waller, and Magnolia/Woodlands areas. Once again, those are 60 mile drives each way.

To the OP... is bringing a trainer an option? That's probably the best option if I'm being perfectly honest. My next recommendation would be to use spin bikes at a gym. Which leads to my next point...

Where your staying sucks. The area sucks, and it's generally going to be a lower income area. I'm not meaning to disparage the people that live around there as it is what it is. But for you it means the gyms are going to suck and swimming pools might be hard to come by. There are no LA Fitness locations on that side of town. There's certainly no high end gyms like VillaSport or Lifetime on that side of town. Looks like there are a couple of 24 Hour Fitness locations close-ish in Jacinto City, Pasadena, and Baytown that look like they have pools. Probably 10-12 mile drive to each from Channelview.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 2, 18 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's a 60 mile drive from the Channelview area to Magnolia.

Technically most of the Magnolia Masters workouts are held in The Woodlands so about 15 miles shorter. We've got extended family in the Channelview area and visit a few times per year and it's consistently an hours drive regardless of time of day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
most of the Magnolia Masters workouts are held in The Woodlands

I had looked into this a long time ago and forgot....What pools do they use?

And as far as rides, I know there are several charity/grand fondo type rides in the spring leading up to the MS 150. It's a decent way to get out on the road when you aren't familiar with the area since the course is laid out for you and there will be a more heightened awareness of cyclists in the area. Problem is you pay like $30 for a ride you could do for free.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magnolia Masters holds practices at two locations. We swim out of the Magnolia High School Pool and the Creekwood Pool. You can find the schedules and locations and locations for both facilities below:

Magnolia High School Pool – 14350 FM1488 Magnolia, Texas 77354
Schedule: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 7:30pm – 8:30pm; Saturday 6:00am – 7:30am

Creekwood Pool – 3383 South Panther Creek Drive The Woodlands, Texas 77381
Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 6:00am – 7am and 12:00pm – 1:00pm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Spring which is about 45 minutes north of you. You can try the braeswood bayou which is about a 15 mile bike/walking trail, but portions of it are interrupted by intersections. I'm not sure where the new east-end starting point is, but I work at the university of Houston and it passes right next to there.

Another option is to look for a new development near where you are staying. Where I live, housing developments are going up like crazy and the streets are built about three times wider than they need to be, which makes for great biking. If you can find one of the many still under development you'll have no traffic and roads as smooth as glass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a 24 Hour Fitness with a pool near the intersection of Beltway 8 & Fairmont Parkway in Pasadena. Can't vouch for its current condition, but several years ago it was fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [jgilb2u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mentioned it above. I use to workout there once a week or so. But like you haven't been there in a while. It is funny to me that someone else on ST knew the gym.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

$9 to swim in a lake? Is it man made? Does someone own it?

Callin' wrote:
HokiePhD wrote:

I would say your best bet for OW swimming is 288 lake (https://288lake.net/triathlon-training/).

For biking, how much free time do you have? Can you drive down to Galveston and ride that course? Also, check the Bike Barn ride calendar (https://bikebarn.com/...oming-rides-pg66.htm)
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [Skipp80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it’s man made. I don’t know who owns it but they do tri training, stand up paddle boarding and scuba there. If you want a swim partner I might be able to join for a session

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just there on business last week. Actually a bit outside of Houston. But what I realized is they have tons of indoor pools at recreation centers. Coming from So Cal this was a nice surprise. The pool I found was beautiful and completely empty, and only $5 to swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and bike in Houston [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be in the Houston area a lot for work over the next couple of months and would be down for some open water swims/runs. My new go-to hotel is the Hilton Americas by the convention center and they have a 25 yard pool on the top floor, but the 3 foot depth isn't ideal. That 288 Lake looks pretty interesting and I'd definitely pay $9 for a solid open water workout.

The Gram: @agyenis
My latest story on Swimswam: More than a title
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Kingwood is on the Northwest side of Houston and they have an active triathlete/cyclist community.

The Crosby area has some decent roads despite agriculture and the oil and gas industry.

I live very downtown Houston and I am off from work on Sunday and Monday. Send me a PM and we can see about riding together. As far as the swim, all I know is my own pool and Lake 288.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next