Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to find N2S - Tom D - Anyone?
Quote | Reply
There is a Gore N2S shirt that is supposedly bomb proof in the winter. Requires no layering. Anyone know where I can find one on-line?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to find N2S - Tom D - Anyone? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Where to find N2S - Tom D - Anyone? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Herschel34, sorry it took me a while to get back to you. The store has been busy and I am swamped training for IMNZ and getting ready to leave for training camp in Curacao tomorrow.

The two N2S tops I have used are the GoLite Covert top, available at www.golite.com and the Mountain Hardwear N2S top called the Transition Wind Shirt. They are both around $150. When you consider a good basse layer is $40 and a shell jacket is always over $150 these are cheaper too. The only drawback is they are no good when it is raining, or at least they are not waterproof. You stay reasonably warm but you get wet.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where to find N2S - Tom D - Anyone? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a quick mini review since we're on the topic:

Mountain Hardwear Transition top: 1/3 zip, pulls over your head to put on and take off. The inflexible fabric makes that a little tough sometmes, especially if you're sore from swimming. Fabric seems "heavier" and temperature range goes down to 22 degrees no problem. Works great, very comfortable. No drawstring at waist means you get some drafts underneath and your tummy gets cold on cold days. Otherwise, uncannily warm and utterly windproof. Doesn't hold B.O. I paid $140.00 at mountaingear.com.

Golite Covert Jacket: More complex with full zip and waist drawstring. Easier to put on and take off due to full zipper. Not as warm as Mountain Hardwear Transition Top but close. Good down to about 25-27 degree for me. Awesome fit. Many interesting panels of weird fabric. Very sophisticated garment. We sell GoLite now, so I got it on E.P. at wholesale but it sells for about $150.

Both are excellent. Both work amazingly well. Both mean you don't need ANY base layers ever again. It is so nice to come back from a long run, strip off your top and tights and underwear and get in the shower. It takes less time to get dressed too!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where to find N2S - Tom D - Anyone? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reviews, Tom. I live in Rochester, NY and 22 degrees would be a dream right now. I've been running in single digits and temps well below zero. I find it hard to believe that one layer will keep me warm in these temps. Are these tops you talk about rated for cold like sleeping bags and down jackets?
Quote Reply