Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where should I sit!
Quote | Reply
Let me start this out by saying that I am a guy... (will make sense in a second)...

I'm finding that when I'm riding my bike that I often slide forward on my seat. I'm resting primarily on the thin part "nose" of the seat. I've been riding this tri bike for about a month (felt s22 just bought it) and I find myself to consistently be moving into that position without thinking about it.

I feel that when I've slid forward like this I use up more energy than if I rest back on my seat. My arms/back feel more strained because I think they are supporting more of my weight than they should be. My guess is I slide forward to release pressure on a certain male area down there.

So my question is: Which of these 2 things would you suggest I do

1) Move the seat forward to balance my weight and possibly adjust the seat down to relieve some pressure. I might be sliding forward because I'm a better rider this way so I should go with it.

2) Adjust the seat to point further down and stay back in the original position the bike shop fit me for.

When I'm in my "more forward position" my elbows are fairly close to a 90 degree angle, maybe about another .5-1 inch from my shoulders being directly on top of my elbows. And I'm probably moving about an inch when I slide forward to this position.

Thanks for spending the time to read this and any comments I appreciate it =)
Quote Reply
Re: Where should I sit! [jw2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
2) Adjust the seat to point further down and stay back in the original position the bike shop fit me for.

Adjust the seat to point further down??? So it's pointing down slightly already? That will help you slide forward easier :-)

Seriously, and I know it sounds counterintuitive, you actually need to point the nose of the saddle up slightly (try 5 degrees). I know this sounds like it will cause more pain where you least want it, but it has the opposite effect! Effectively it forces you to sit further back and the saddle supports your weight through the "sit" bones of your ass, rather than more sensitive regions taking the strain. Try it, it works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds to me like your body is pulling itself to the position that it wants to be in, and if it is a strong and powerfull position then work to make it work. I also tend to naturally pull to the front of the saddle, so this is what I do to make it work: 1. I use a level to make the forward 1/2 of the saddle level ( not pointing up or down) 2. skew the saddle .5 cm or so away from your natural drift so that you are not riding on you stuff 3. may need to raise the seat post just a tad b/c sliding forward shortens the effective height 4. maybe try a saddle cover or one of the gel saddles - I have always used a Flite and have never found that necessary.

Good Luck,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lately, I've been noticing that I do something similar. During a regular ride, I'm ok at about the middle of the seat. But lately I've just started to incorporate a hard interval sprint workout and I've noticed that when I drop the hammer, I slide myself to the front of the seat, and well, it gets uncomfortable to say the least. And while I know the simple way to fix the problem (just don't slide forward, dummy) I don't feel like I can put out my maximal effort while staying aero.

needless to say, numbness has become a great concern for me. would a gel seat-cover really help me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your predicament is a common complaint for many triathletes. We first need to understand why you are sitting on the nose of your saddle. Your location of where you sit on the saddle is a result of handlebar placement relative to the bottom bracket and saddle location, height and setback. Cycling is one of only a couple of sports that you are attached to your equipment and three points; feet, hands and seat. You are actually locked into your pedals, “soft” locked on your bars and the only release point is your seat. And most seats don’t give you much room for a comfortable adjustment range, especially if you are being pulled into sitting on the wrong part of the saddle. The TT position is even more restrictive than a road position because you only should be using two hand positions on the extensions while on a road bike there are as many as five hand positions.

So, my guess without actually seeing you is that your bars are either too low or too far from your saddle causing you to want to move forward and get relief from the only release point inherent in the system, the saddle. Your comment “My arms/back feel more strained because I think they are supporting more of my weight than they should be.” Also indicates to me that you are being pulled too far in front of your bottom bracket causing your upper body mass to tip toward the front of your bike taking weight off of your seat and putting it on your arms.

The solution to your fit is to move the bars either back towards the saddle, up higher or both. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you what the solution to your specific fit issue is without knowing more about your physical limitations. I would suggest you find a qualified fitter that can evaluate your body’s range of motion as it relates to cycling movements and then bring the bike to you so you can be comfortable and efficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try stretching and strengthening your shoulders so that they can function in the "longer" position..... if you are moving forward on the seat it is posible that you are bending your back and becoming less aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Where should I sit! [danb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!

I wasn't looking at the way you described Paul but I think your right.

I'm going to try several things to achieve better balance of my weight focusing on my arm position and what that does to my torso.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect your seat is not level, which is why you are sliding forward. One way to test this is to ride the bike sitting up, take your hands off the wheel and raise them over your head. If you can do it with the bike in control and your thighs and butt cheeks are not trying to grab the seat, then your seat is probably right for you and should just be moved forward a bit to accomodate you.
Quote Reply