Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where is your HR during sweet spot workouts?
Quote | Reply
I'm following a TR base building plan and noticing that my heart rate rarely gets above low 90's during any of the workouts. They feel difficult from a muscular standpoint but not aerobically. My legs are always spent by the end but my HR is nowhere near a typical road ride, where I'd normally average in the 120's or higher. Does it seem normal/beneficial to be staying in Z1 during these workouts?
Quote Reply
Re: Where is your HR during sweet spot workouts? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems incredibly low in terms of HR. For sweet spot my HR is generally in the 145-155 range. Threshold stuff is 160's to close to 170 and VO2 max is a bit higher than that. For a HIM my HR avg is generally around 150 at an 80% effort.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Where is your HR during sweet spot workouts? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto... though if Im doing low cadence work (45-55 rpm) Im probably 5-7 bpm lower, but by ranges match nates almost exactly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished SSB1 HV and for Galena +3 my HR was consistently averaging 154bpm over the 20min intervals at 90%, a little lower than it had been earlier in the week and over long durations (was averaging 158 previously) so I'm bumping myself up 10w next week and see how that goes for SSB2, and my threshold HR tends to reside 167-168, so I guess my HR is 158-163 when I'm less acclimated and mid 150's when I'm in good shape

What equipment are you using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely question your hardware. That doesn't seem possible or accurate.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Where is your HR during sweet spot workouts? [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:
I would definitely question your hardware. That doesn't seem possible or accurate.

This.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is your HR during sweet spot workouts? [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's what I was thinking, must be bad readings from my watch.

For reference I averaged 139bpm during the bike of my last 70.3 and 152bpm in my most recent Oly.

I'm using a Fenix 5 but haven't actually been recording my TR workouts with my watch, just glancing at my heart rate periodically. I'm not sure why that would make a difference but I'll try recording my next ride with the watch and see if it's better.

Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For me Sweet Spot HR is around 80% of HR Max (so around 145-150 BPM).

Base endurance is around 60/65 % of Max HR (so around 110-120 BPM).

Lowering rpm slightly reduce the bpm, but not to 90...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:

I'm using a Fenix 5 but haven't actually been recording my TR workouts with my watch, just glancing at my heart rate periodically. I'm not sure why that would make a difference but I'll try recording my next ride with the watch and see if it's better.

Thanks all.

The OHR LED's shine less brightly during 24/7 monitoring than they do during an activity. If you want accurate HR during intensity, definitely record an activity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohr doesn't work graat for everyone... And sometimes placement and tightness are crucial to get it right. Operating in 24/7 mode won't help that.

Definitely use workout mode.

Sweet spot should be somewhere between your HIM and OD hr, but closer to your OD.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is your HR during sweet spot workouts? [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:

The OHR LED's shine less brightly during 24/7 monitoring than they do during an activity. If you want accurate HR during intensity, definitely record an activity.

Interesting. Would the Broadcast HR mode act the same as an active activity or the low-energy 24/7 monitoring?
Quote Reply
Re: Where is your HR during sweet spot workouts? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broadcast mode follows whatever setting you are in. You can broadcast During Activity, or Not During Activity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, guess I'll have to play around with it. I use the "Broadcast HR" from the controls menu, so not starting an activity, but it is a distinct mode of operation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:

Thanks all.

Good to know, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran my Fenix in Indoor Cycling mode tonight and averaged 126 but more like high 130's during the sweet spot intervals. Seems more reasonable. Crazy that there is such a difference running it in activity mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet Spot is around :
Power : 90% of FTP / MLSS / Threshold power
HR : 80% of max HR

Logically, several peoples indicated HR around 145 / 150 / 155 bpm

130 is probably a bit low, except if your MaxHR is very low.

Sweet Spot optimal cadence is around 90 / 95 rpm (people dependent, of course)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
I'm following a TR base building plan and noticing that my heart rate rarely gets above low 90's during any of the workouts. They feel difficult from a muscular standpoint but not aerobically. My legs are always spent by the end but my HR is nowhere near a typical road ride, where I'd normally average in the 120's or higher. Does it seem normal/beneficial to be staying in Z1 during these workouts?

Yeh that's just bananas.

For me there's no question that my hr is subtly less indoors than outdoors for the same muscular leg effort.

But then outside i'm using more muscles to stabilise the bike and just the extra brain power of thinking about the road the traffic etc will have a metabolic cost.

My max is 175 and my LT1 is 130 and threshold 155 - 162. After 162 I know i'm living on borrowed time ie a few small blasts up a climb or final mile push to the line.

For SS workouts my hr would usually be 140-145 on the trainer and maybe 145-150 on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking your OHR is picking up your cadence, mine does. Workout mode & making sure your band is snug may help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80-85% max HR is where I average for sweet spot cycling workouts. Your monitor is way off.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is your HR during sweet spot workouts? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on both points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand it but I've quit using my Fenix 5 OHR during activities completely. It works fine if I'm not doing something but it is not reliable at all when I'm actually working out. I have 2 or 3 other monitors that work just fine and I've been using HRM's since the mid 90's, I like the Fenix but it doesn't provide me with useful HR during training.

20 or so beats off during a run would be common from when I've tried it. Anytime I not that it has received a software update I try it again. I don't think it is just my skin tone or something along those lines either as I'm generally fine using a Scoche monitor.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is your HR during sweet spot workouts? [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just pair mine with a chest strap and with that, it gets good trustworthy numbers. Otherwise it starts to get wonky as soon as I sweat hard
Quote Reply