Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh yea, definitely agree with that....I spent more time packing bikes than I did testing them last year...bummer.

Good to hear that your and Andrew's field test results on the aero bottles have matched what we've seen.

Does Specialized own any land around their headquarters? Maybe you could justify the construction of a "halfpipe" just on travel cost savings? Hehehe... :-D

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The problem appeared to center around the team's modified carbon fiber bottle cages, which apparently wouldn't hold on to the matching aero bottles tightly enough over stage 4's occasional bumps."

This is the exact reason i only use my bottle between the bars nows. I have launched my aerobottle twice and worry about it everytime its no there. I finally said screw it and took it off. Maybe some of the other ones are better but the Adrunal is awful.

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [Hazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Columbia were defiantly using camelbacks. If you catch the shot of Cavendish looking back again, not only do you see George's tube hanging in front of his, but you can see Cavendish's valve attached to his chin strap. I think you can see a few others with them, but I can't find the photo online right this second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Aero bottles definitely matter -- even just at 0 degrees, a bare optimized bike can be up to 30 grams of drag better than a round bottle on the DT (on the Shiv/Transition). The aero bottle is about the same as a "clean bike" at low yaw.
Hey thanks for all the info Mark. One more question......what about bottles (aero or round) on the seat tube vs down tube (vs bare bike)?
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [sib1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what this short test was for -- to decide ST or DT for our bottle bosses. Center of ST was 567 gF (vs. 556 gF with center of DT; bare bike 537 gF; aerobottle with ST gap of 1 cm 534 gF). Most aero is in the lowest BB position on the ST.

The whole discussion of a round bottle "fairing" the ST and rear wheel seems pretty "meh" to me. It's always been best in the BB area or in the wake of the front wheel (DT) in head on testing.

Depends on the bike (as we've all heard, and some have seen a bit), but in general, DT is better for the front wheel positions these bikes have relative to the front wheel, the DT shapes we're modeling after, etc. This is definitely true on our bikes, Cervelos, etc. But I can only definitively speak for the Transition and Shiv.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have discovered that the difference between the real world and marketing hype.

1) Triathlete water bottle decision criteria: Is it dimpled, is it aero, what recent wind tunnel test indicates the most aero placement, what should I put in it, is there such a thing as too many salt tablets... and what about my bento box.

2) Pro racer water bottle decision criteria: Will I get thirsty? Where can I easily reach it while hammering out my TT? Done. All the rest is bull$hit.
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you haven't been paying attention?

MIT just clued us in that they aren't using aero bottles because lack of clarity in the rules.

In Reply To:
2) Pro racer water bottle decision criteria: Will I get thirsty? Where can I easily reach it while hammering out my TT? Done. All the rest is bull$hit.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why did cancellara have a bottle on his downtube in the short prologue? seemed kinda pointless..
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [Torps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i think EVERYONE did

I'm wondering if its required
Yeah the prologue was what really sparked my bottle interest.....many guys didn't have one, but then again many others did like Cancellara (round on DT) and Garmin (aero on ST) did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the amount of testing many of the teams acctually complete is considerbly lower than people may think. Back when lance and landis were on the same team, it was only lance that got to train on a his TT bike, for the rest they might get a couple of rides close to a big race.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
not only do you see George's tube hanging in front of his, but you can see Cavendish's valve attached to his chin strap.

TWSS
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I think it's more that, because of his 9000 watt FTP, the Tour organizers required him to have a round bottle to try and level the playing field. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've done both many many many many times on various different bikes. Bottles still matter except on really bad DT bikes. I've tested pretty much every combo of bottle location/size on aero bikes over and over with and without rider.

As with every rider test, it's tough to get good repeatability (usually +/- 15 gF if done back to back) but you can still measure a difference with a rider, with and without bottle. So yes, DT round bottles are measurably worse than a bare aero bike (with a good DT).

Aero bottle results vary per frame. We designed ours to work well with Transition and the key competitor frames (P3C, TTX, DA, etc.) but not to the level of integration that Cervelo has done with the P4 bottle. We effectively wanted a bottle that head on would not hinder the bike but in crosswind could potentially give some lift. That's what we've ended up with -- a good usable bottle that meshes well with all kinds of frames.

Here's some data since we're on ST:
Preface: Shiv bike alone, Roval Rapide wheels w tubular tires (spinning), head-on drag normalized to 30 mph, rho=1.20; my typical protocol
Note, not yaw data here.

Bike, no bottles: 537 gF
(No pic, but same as below without bottle)

Bike, DT 21oz center of tube: 556 gF

Bike, DT Aerobottle, 1 cm gap to ST: 534 gF

Whats the time of savings of this 20gF advantage on a 40km TT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This just scratches the surface but I can give you guys my MIT undergrad thesis if you're really into this aero bottle thing.

...I missed this the first time, but I would like to see that thesis, if you don't mind. I think it would be pretty cool to see (I'm such a geek...I know ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [xm23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The ROT is that ~45gf (or 0.1 lbf) of drag at 30mph is ~= 0.5s/km of time savings. You can do the math from there...

Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

The ROT is that ~45gf (or 0.1 lbf) of drag at 30mph is ~= 0.5s/km of time savings. You can do the math from there...
20s over 40k seems inflated, but hey I would do it.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [aarondavidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

20s over 40k seems inflated, but hey I would do it.

Check your math...the savings shown was more like 20gf.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This just scratches the surface but I can give you guys my MIT undergrad thesis if you're really into this aero bottle thing.

...I missed this the first time, but I would like to see that thesis, if you don't mind. I think it would be pretty cool to see (I'm such a geek...I know ;-)

Try this link: http://dspace.mit.edu/...84539.pdf?sequence=1

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Good stuff...thanks. I only wish there were some drag results in there...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Good stuff...thanks. I only wish there were some drag results in there...

Would be nice to read Reference #3 ;-)

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

This is like a giant bento box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your time and input on this thread. Very interesting.

Out of curiosity what's your bottle recommendation for a bike with horrible aerodynamics? (eg someone TTing on a road bike)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Where's the aero bottles ???? (TdF) [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I didn't know this was posted online but thank you for sharing it with the forum.

Man, that takes me back :)

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply

Prev Next