Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When will they learn? Another overbearing corporate trademark
Quote | Reply
Seriously?

https://road.cc/...n-using-word-peloton

Talk about biting the hands that feed. Sounds silly but I seriously considered avoiding the big S when bike shopping new because of their café lawsuit with an enthusiast.

Now this one. Big nope.

As a VW enthusiast their suing indie shops and then the diesel scam ruined that hobby. The big S in cycling with “Roubaix”, now the French word “Peloton”.

Who next?
Quote Reply
Re: When will they learn? Another overbearing corporate trademark [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading the article, it appears as though the Peloton lawyers backed down. So what’s the problem?

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: When will they learn? Another overbearing corporate trademark [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
After reading the article, it appears as though the Peloton lawyers backed down. So what’s the problem?

If you read it, they backed down after pretty much a miniature “people’s uprising” against their actions.

People shouldn’t have to defend themselves from powerful corporate entities when there is zero actual or perceived infringement. In other words, them backing down doesn’t make it a “non issue”. The demand was withdrawn after backlash.

Now, if the guy had opened a chain of bike gyms called the same as their brand and used a similar red symbol. Sure. Too much.
Quote Reply
Re: When will they learn? Another overbearing corporate trademark [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys know Shane posts here quite frequently, right? His ST username is gplama.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about not allowing these fuckers to trademark common words you find in a freaking dictionary. What if YouTube called themselves TV or Video. Would we be threatened by these corporate dick heads every time we use the word TV or Video in writing?

burnthesheep wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

If you read it, they backed down after pretty much a miniature “people’s uprising” against their actions.

People shouldn’t have to defend themselves from powerful corporate entities when there is zero actual or perceived infringement. In other words, them backing down doesn’t make it a “non issue”. The demand was withdrawn after backlash.

Now, if the guy had opened a chain of bike gyms called the same as their brand and used a similar red symbol. Sure. Too much.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: When will they learn? Another overbearing corporate trademark [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
You guys know Shane posts here quite frequently, right? His ST username is gplama.

of course. i saw his post in response to this. just didn't know that he resided in Australia

think these people are just straight up trolling. If one were cynical, one would say that they knew they had no chance of actually prevailing but did this to get themselves in the news, as no news is bad news... And if some guy on the internet gets worked up due to the trolling, well, they certainly aren't empathetic enough to care
Last edited by: echappist: Dec 25, 18 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the blaming-the-victim language in their response -

"Thank you for confirming that you are using the term ‘peloton’ descriptively, not as a trademark, and that you are not aware of any consumers being confused by your use.
Given these representations, and as long as the circumstances do not change, our client considers the matter to be resolved."

Like they are the high and mighty bike police, protecting the world from word abusers.

GPLama should write back something like, "I don't need your thanks and as long as you stay in your lane, you won't create your own PR nightmare. You let me know if you grow a couple of brain cells to knock together. I'll be waiting to hear back... oh wait, I won't. Get bent."
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Dec 25, 18 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: When will they learn? Another overbearing corporate trademark [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that is annoying. Too bad they won’t have to cover his legal costs after making such a frivolous claim.
Quote Reply
Re: When will they learn? Another overbearing corporate trademark [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad they didn't countersue and take them to court to establish once and for all that they cannot trademark a common term that predates their existence as a company by many decades. I would happily contribute to the legal fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How absurd is it that anyone trademark commonly used words that already exist forever... even place names? ... Wtf... Its like that hakunanmatata case

Cafe Roubaix is a pretty cool name I have to say.... Did they have a tarMac cheeseburger too?
Quote Reply
Re: When will they learn? Another overbearing corporate trademark [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And lawyers and big corporations wonder why people often dislike them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
GPLama should write back something like, "I don't need your thanks and as long as you stay in your lane, you won't create your own PR nightmare. You let me know if you grow a couple of brain cells to knock together. I'll be waiting to hear back... oh wait, I won't. Get bent."

I won't be sending them any follow up thank-you messages after I had to clarify my use of the word for them to retract their claims I was infringing on their trademark.

I'm still flattered a $4 billion company takes notice of my video titles. I've praised their business model and service in the past. I still think it's brilliant. Their trademark lawyers can go and fuck themselves this holiday season. I've just had my say over on YouTube. Yes, it contains a few swears. I apologise for the swearing only, if people are offended by that.

My reason for creating content is to help people out, to share my obsession, for people to have a better time with new tech (and avoid bad tech). Anyhow. I can only shake my head in times like these. What next? Let's find out.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply