Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When will racing resume... for you
Quote | Reply
To riff of the other thread title but this being micro focused on yourself and not macro on a race/racing in general.

I have six races on my schedule, five of which are deferrals from last year:

Gulf Coast 70.3 in May
Chattanooga 70.3 in May
Musselman 70.3 in July
IMMT in August
IMChatt in September
IMAZ in November

Thereā€™s no chance Iā€™m doing the May races. I think I will be vaccinated within the next month but I just donā€™t want to deal with it all.

Iā€™m not at all confident NY is going to allow racing on a large scale by July, plus the possible quarantine issues that still could be in play, plus thereā€™s no chance Iā€™m getting on a plane.

Also not confident the Canadian border will be open or that IMMT will happen in August. Plus probably still wonā€™t want to get on a plane.

I canā€™t do IM Chattanooga. It conflicts with a family wedding. I signed up to do this race in 2020 not 2021.

So looks like November for me. šŸ˜

Scheduled races aside, my comfort level for racing is 4Q 2021.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 17, 21 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: When will racing resume... for you [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t understand, youā€™re getting the vaccine next month but you wonā€™t be comfortable to race until Q4?

Iā€™m registered for Oceanside, Florida 70.3, choo 70.3, patriot half (mid-June, local event in MA), IMLP, SOS (Sept - NY), IMCHOO. Oceanside is obviously not going to happen. Florida 70.3 is a rollover from last year when we planned a Disney vacation, not likely to go even if it happens. Will plan on and train for choo 70.3 and all the subsequent races, acknowledging they may not happen in the end. My comfort level for travel and racing seems higher than the threshold to hold the events, FL maybe an exception. I have the flexibility to deal with any travel quarantine type issues in MA, and expect to get the vaccine in May or June based on the current rollout plan, though would think itā€™s more likely than not that the timeline slips given experience so far.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have IMTexas in April and I will be ready to race, vaccine or not. Will be flying also! I donā€™t think I can handle another year without racing.
Quote Reply
Re: When will racing resume... for you [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t understand, youā€™re getting the vaccine next month but you wonā€™t be comfortable to race until Q4?

---
I didn't get that from his post. I got that even though he will be vaccinated, that doesn't mean the venues where his is signed up will be ready for racing for one reason or another.

OP: I think that there will be some local races that will have reduced fields come mid-summer that I'd consider. And I'm hoping that the vaccination climate will allow for border crossings so I can battle you at IMMT. However, I'm going into the season with an abundance of caution and likely won't be spending money until I know that the race won't be canceled.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've a 21 mile off road run in mid March. I'll be there if it's on (but I doubt it'll happen).
I think the risk is larger for marsalls / helpers than individual runners as it's a small race, open terrain and, and this year will be staggered starts etc.

After that... 7 mile end to end lake swim event in mid July. I'll defo be in on that and a V good chance it's on (they managed to operate the 5 mile sister event in Sept 2020). Whether I'm trained enough for it is another matter - but if I'm not I'll be there anyway and will just have to suck it up and be a bit slower than I'd want to be.

Half distance tri in mid Aug in the Highlands of Scotland (deferred from 2020) with an run in the hills. The accommodation is booked, and we're going race or no race!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Through deferrals, I'm signed up for Choo 70.3 and Placid.

If both are held, I will race both.

Something that I think will happen at these races, that no ones really discussing here...

I believe the pointy ends of the races are going to be super competitive...even more than usual. My belief is majority of FOP people have not only continued to train hard...but have had increased opportunities to train even more. And are itching to race. So if people want to compete, better be ready to bring A games.
Quote Reply
Re: When will racing resume... for you [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re read the original post & see of you come up with a different understanding

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When one can reasonably travel. ie there is some sort of open travel arrangement if you have the vaccine or countries have the at-risk populations vaccinated.

All my races (except for one in the UK) require travel to a foriegn country. Thats five races, so with 'current' thinking (if you can even get to/into the country) its a two week quarantine plus then a two week quarantine on the back end. So thats 20 weeks of isolation/quarantine assocaited with racing. Outside of being able to afford that, I dont want to do that. I'll certainly train and prepare for the races (jesus I need a pool to open) under the hope that they occur and I can reasonably travel/participate. But taking a 4 week hit for a race is not in the cards. I say that with the ability to work from home. However, my office may be less inclined to encourage/embrace that if life has otherwise resumed some sense of 'normal' within the UK.

So my first race? Maybe.... Maybe... IM Hamburg there will be something in place and I have a whisper of a hope of being vaccinated by then (hey, I'm an optimist)... otherwise Vichy in August looks more likely.

I have no issues with masking up/providing negative tests, etc etc to be able to travel go to races but the risk of being put in islolation/quarantine in the foreign country for two weeks or on the back-end is a hit I (and my wife who would travel with me) cant take.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: When will racing resume... for you [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
---
I did and I think I'm interpreting the word 'comfort' different than you. I'm reading it as comfortable that the location and venue are going to have a race in a fashion that he doesn't have to deal with all of the hubub. Even vaccinated, there's a chance that the rigors of travel and restrictions in place might make racing 'uncomfortable'.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only race I am signed up for is the newly rebranded Michigan 70.3 on September 21st. As a Canadian I am cautiously optimistic that the border will be open and there will be no 14 day quarantine upon returning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve been waiting to race since April 2020. Will jump at the first available change. Hopefully Galveston in April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Calgary, Alberta, Canada...

Notionally, I have races in June/July/August. June race is a deferral from last year and local. I've booked accommodations for the July /August races but haven't formally entered either race yet.

I'm pretty pessimistic about any of these races going ahead for me. I won't do anything unless both my partner and I have been vaccinated at least a month in advance of a race.

They have just started vaccinations in this province and are already falling behind (and vaccine supply issues have just been announced). Other than my age (approaching 60), I don't have any conditions that would justify an earlier vaccination so it seems likely that the earliest I'll get vaccinated is the fall.

Might do a road race later in the year, but the stars will have to align.
Quote Reply
Re: When will racing resume... for you [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, if I was fit and ready I'd race tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am confused as well, do you mean to say you don't think the races will actually happen? or just that even with a vaccine you are not confident in its effectiveness enough to risk traveling for it?

I have my doubts I will even get my first shot by June given I am a healthy male in mid-30s but I will certainly be the last in my family to get it, which allays one of my concerns around whether someone who is vaccinated will be still able to spread it as my wife has a condition that should allow her to get it much earlier. Aside from waiting on clarity from that, I have full confidence in this vaccine given that we are so much more technologically advanced than we were when vaccines needed 4+ years of testing to be proven. Science didn't start from scratch on this as there has been much attention on coronaviruses in general since OG SARS, & the amount of money & research that has been poured into this is unprecedented thus producing unprecedented results. I hope others do too, the economy needs that confidence to begin returning to normal levels.

I do think races will begin to happen with IM basically saying race at your own risk (not really saying that but with them taking precautions and having distancing protocols and such). Venues are in desperate need for tourist dollars so unless the local government is on the most careful side, I think they'll permit events.

I will likely race by first week of June. If I am fully vaccinated then that will be Hawai'i 70.3, if I am not vaccinated fully or with enough time for it to take full effect, I will race locally as there is a small local event happening the same day and I am confident that local racing will come back first or at least be safer.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm expecting, at this point, to do at least one local sprint tri in Ohio this summer.

My A race is a trail ultra in France scheduled for late May. They have an alternative date in late Oct. I'm hoping it will be postponed until the fall. If not, I'll be waiting until 2022.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jan 17, 21 16:40
Quote Reply
Re: When will racing resume... for you [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---
I did and I think I'm interpreting the word 'comfort' different than you. I'm reading it as comfortable that the location and venue are going to have a race in a fashion that he doesn't have to deal with all of the hubub. Even vaccinated, there's a chance that the rigors of travel and restrictions in place might make racing 'uncomfortable'.

This

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: When will racing resume... for you [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I have my doubts I will even get my first shot by June given I am a healthy male in mid-30s but I will certainly be the last in my family to get it,

A bit off topic, but I heard Indonesia is vaccinating younger people first. The thinking seems to be they are most likely to transmit it, due to going to work every, going to the gym, ignoring stay at home orders etc, so if they get vaccinated first, this should significantly slow the spread. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

As for racing, I'll be on the startline at the first opportunity. The way the races or organized during COVID means there is a very minimal risk of being infected in my opinion. I'm a lot more afraid to go to Walmart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weā€™re so lucky in New Zealand. So far this season I e done 1 mountain bike race and 3 triathlons.

My next event is in Kinloch on the 14th Feb - Erin Baker Standard Distance triathlon. Then Iā€™m considering Xterra in April - theyā€™ve dumbed down the mtb course so maybe I wonā€™t - and the Half Nugget duathlon in May. This is part of the Nugget multi sport fast oval in Waihi.

Then plan for next season - most likely Iā€™ll do Ironman 70.3 Taupo in December.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get my second shot on Feb 11th. From what I remember from the pamphlet, it takes two weeks to fully kick in.

Once those two weeks are over Iā€™ll race anyone,
anywhere.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing a half marathon next Saturday.

First triathlon will likely be in June at a local sprint distance. Iā€™ll probably follow that up in Augusta with an Olympic distance race.

Other than that:
Augusta 70.3 at the end of September
IM Florida in November
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt I will do any triathlons this year. Maybe a sprint tri late summer. I have some gravel races this year. Most are small so easy to maintain social distancing. But I do have DK 200 this year and not sure if Iā€™ll be vaccinated by then. Hopefully will be.

I mainly donā€™t want to do any triathlons as I probably wonā€™t be vaccinated until close to May and am not interested in heading to the YMCA frequently for swim training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am signed up for 6 tris (5 Olympic and 1 half IM) on the local circuit that are rollover from 2020.

I don't even know if the local race director will put them on or not (I hope they do) even if they get public health clearance which I think local events will start getting in mid summer given that most of the vulnerable groups should be vaccinated here by then and hospital stress will be gone. My half IM race in Montreal in September will happen given that the race director managed to put on a 700 person sprint last fall in the same venue.

For your races, I bet a reduced capacity IM Tremblant will be viable in Quebec in August, but have no clue what the quarantine process will be at border. I am hoping that if people can show they have been vaccinated the 14 day quarantine will be waived, as that is really the only way Canada will get back to doing proper biz overseas which is an important part of our economy. If the person is only a small risk due to having been vaccinated there will be some pressure on the govt to move on and allow business to resume. Right now when travellers are a risk to bring more virus in, the quarantine makes sense, or we will immediately have similar numbers to USA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oceanside deferral - not a chance, although I will be doing a home grown 70.3
IM California end of October - this is a maybe
La Quinta 70.3 deferral - probably.

So 4th quarter for me as well. Prob not vaccinated until May earliest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Galveston if it happens...
Quote Reply
Re: When will racing resume... for you [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have no local races in the UK that you can do without traveling? Get in your car, drive to race start, race, pack up, go home, check your results online? Seems like there should be options for that in the UK outside of big races!
Quote Reply

Prev Next