Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When to roll and when not to roll
Quote | Reply
I’m generally a fan of foam rolling, but there are times when I’m not sure the rolling is helping or making things worse.

For example, the past week or so my right IT band has been bothering me when running (not biking). It doesn’t force me to change my stride but it definitely aches during and after the run, especially in downhills. So I started rolling it, along with my quads/glutes/inner thigh/etc. to try and loosen it up. Fast forward to now and it’s still bothering me. I can’t quite tell if it’s gotten better or worse, and at this point I’m wondering if all the rolling is inflaming beat up tissue (bad) or loosening up and bringing more blood flow to muscles (good).

And the problem is, it usually takes a couple days of periodic rolling before I get relief. But if the rolling is actually making things worse then it often takes a few days of no rolling for the inflammation to die down and for me to realize that was the problem. So either way I’ve got to invest a few days of no rolling or more rolling to figure out whether I’m doing the right thing or the wrong thing (and if it’s the wrong thing then I’m worse off and a few days behind).

How do you guys/gals know when rolling is doing you favors versus making things worse?
Quote Reply
Re: When to roll and when not to roll [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Scott says that one should not roll the ITB.
Generally, rolling the areas around the ITB is helpful.
There are many threads about ITBS, check them out.
Find the cause of the inflammation and fix that. Not often easy to do.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont roll on shabbos.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In theory its quite simple really. You try to find out if you're dealing with inflammation (red,swollen,warm even when rested e.g. after getting up) in which case I would ease off with exercise and try some icing or maybe even some ibuprofene gel and generally leave it alone for a while. Its certainly not a good idea to manipulate inflamed tissue.

If its not inflamed but tense and foam rolling has helped you in the past I see no reason not to. It hurting a little during foam rolling or being somewhat sore afterwards is not necessarily a sign for anything, I know someone who even gets the occasional slight black and blue marks from medium intensity foam rolling. If its actually hurting severely you're overdoing for sure though.

Foam rolling is a controversial topic. Rolling the ITB even more so. Theres good reasons why it shouldn't work like for example the ITB being so strong and thick theres no way you could elongate, smooth or do anything at all to it with a puny foam roller and the weight of your body.
On the other hand theres so many people who find it helps them tremendously I've always thought it worth a try.
Quote Reply