Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When to replace wheel bearings
Quote | Reply
Now this is an inspriational topic for a February afternoon. When do I replace the bearings in my wheels? I have never done this with any of my wheels after I don't know how many thousands of miles.

Dan posted an article on how to replace them, but where does one buy them and what bearings should I buy? No amount of searching on the standard web sites or google has given me a clue.

Clueless in Florida,
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace wheel bearings [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replace them when they start to feel rough. Different wheels use different bearing sizes, types of bearings, and methods of holding them in place.

First resource should be the wheel / hub manufacturer's website. Bontrager has a .pdf on their site listing the replacement parts, some other mfg do the same. Actually, it should be the LBS, but if you want to do it all yourself, then check the site.

If you have loose or caged ball bearings, you could also buy a bearing gauge from the hardware store to see what size you need. Cartridge bearings come in a billion sizes, best to just remove it and then go to the LBS or other store that sells high quality bearings and find the ones that match.

Easiest way is to take the wheel to your LBS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"When do I replace the bearings in my wheels? "

Art,

Not trying be a smart ass but isn't it done at that time when they wear out?
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace wheel bearings [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee, thanks Cerveloguy. I hadn't really thought about it that way.

Hmm, now that I have, how do I know when they wear out?

I haven't been able to find any information on what bearings to use. The only thing I come up with is every manufacturer saying their bearings are terrific. I have two sets of Rolf wheels a four year old Zipp 404 and a one year old Zipp disc.

Losing my bearings in Florida,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which Rolf's? The original Rolf high end wheels (Vector Pros) used Hugi hubs (now called DT Swiss). Similar to Bontrager uses now, but there are some differences. The new Rolf Prima's use what appear to be custom American Classic hubs. The low end Vectors use loose ball bearings, in the back at least. Can't recall whats on the front at the moment. Not sure about the Vector Comps.

Older Zipp 404 / 303's used Edco hubs. This is you if you have a black, straight pull hub. More details are in this link, try calling Zipp customer service to find out what bearing size you'll need.

http://www.zipp.com/...ce_repair/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace wheel bearings [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do know your bearings. I have one set of Vector Pros and one set of Vector Comps, if that helps. Is Rolf still around in the same form now that Trek doesn't OEM them anymore? I have looked for a website in the past without any luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the old Rolf website is around anymore and Rolf Prima doesn't have anything to do with Trek Rolf these days, since the 2 parties had a falling out.

DT Swiss service manual ---> big file http://www.dtswiss.com/...N_EN_40105140837.pdf The freehub body is slightly different now, but I'm pretty sure the bearings are the same, at least on the back.

I'll check later today, see if I can get the info on the Vector Comps (if I remember)
Quote Reply