Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When to replace a TT helmet
Quote | Reply
Other than the obvious answer of after a crash when should one replace their TT helmet? I've heard 5 years after being manufactured, I've also heard after 5 years of use. My current TT helmet is a Giro A2, manufactured in 2011 (I think) and I have been using it since 2014. I would like to get one more year out of it but working with brain injury patients kind of makes me a little paranoid. My next helmet will either be another A2 (2016 by the judge of the paint job), an Aerohead, or a P-09.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace a TT helmet [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent an email to Giro, have not gotten a response yet. I'll post when I do for other people who are wondering the same thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After you've gone to the wind tunnel and tested at least 5-7 different models.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace a TT helmet [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
After you've gone to the wind tunnel and tested at least 5-7 different models.

Got about $1,000 and 5-7 different models of helmet I can borrow?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From everything that I have heard and read 5-7yrs is the life of the styrofoam that is used for the helmets. After that time period the integrity of the foam has "degraded" and no longer carries the same crash absorption abilities as before. Again, this is what I have read and heard through articles magazines and posts. Take it with a grain of salt as you will.

With my wife being an ER nurse and hearing what she has seen in real life situations. $100-$200 every 5-7years is nothing when it comes to being able to hug and kiss my wife and girls after a crash.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace a TT helmet [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya, I would like to get one more year out of my helmet. But working in a brain injury house has me paranoid and wanting to buy a new one. Compounded is the problem with since moving in with my GF I’ve gained a lot of weight and it’s been a struggle to lose it. Ergo the wanting to hold off as I’m not sure if I should just get another A2 since I’m fat and won’t be needing newer gear anyhow, or if I can get back into shape I’ll be wanting that extra couple of watts.

Quote Reply
Re: When to replace a TT helmet [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually replace after 3 race seasons. But swapping out to MIPS helmets sooner than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro has told me directly after 3-5 years of use.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replace your helmet when one of these conditions are met:

• You crash
  • It stinks so bad it negatively effects your performance
  • You get tired of the color
  • You find a faster helmet through wind tunnel testing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmet Impact Performance Proven to Hold Up for Decades Summary: There are reasons to replace your helmet, but simple age is not one of them. Extensive testing of used (but not crashed) bicycle helmets shows that EPS foam liners retain their performance over many years.

https://www.helmets.org/helmetlineraging.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When there is a cooler looking model released that matches your kit better...
Quote Reply