Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When to replace Supersonic race-only tires?
Quote | Reply
I'm using Continental Supersonic tires for races only. My current pair of tires have around 430kms (269 miles), and still they look like new.

Appreciate information on how long would it still be safe to use them, do you go by a max number of total distance or just on how they look?

As mentioned, these are race-only tires, so wouldn't want to have additional risks of getting a puncture in a race. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace Supersonic race-only tires? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't used those tires specifically, but I go mostly by look. Not all miles are the same when it comes to tire wear. 100 miles of hard riding with efforts out of the saddle and lots high speed cornering will put a lot more wear on your tires than 300 miles of steady state riding in a straight line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are we talking new-new Supersonics or new-old Supersonics?

pabloarc wrote:
I'm using Continental Supersonic tires for races only. My current pair of tires have around 430kms (269 miles), and still they look like new.

Appreciate information on how long would it still be safe to use them, do you go by a max number of total distance or just on how they look?

As mentioned, these are race-only tires, so wouldn't want to have additional risks of getting a puncture in a race. Thanks

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace Supersonic race-only tires? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we're talking about new-new supersonics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:

I'm not sure. When I had clinchers I raced with Conti TTs and put a silly amount of kms on them. Way more than recommended.I had them for 3 seasons. Over 1000km. I didn't flat once and they still looked in really good condition. I ended up selling them with my wheels, but I would have kept using them till I could see actual wear or I was getting flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paging Thomas Gerlach

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely question! I had a similar question as well. Mine have two seasons and around 350 miles on them and use up front. Debating going with the corsa g+ or whatever that one is called since it is supposed to roll better and be pretty aero.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace Supersonic race-only tires? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried the tubeless Corsa Speed G+, but in my experience too prone for punctures. Decided not to use them again.
the ones I tried didn't even last 200km, before getting a big puncture that made me throw them away.

So far it's been really good with the Supersonics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
I've tried the tubeless Corsa Speed G+, but in my experience too prone for punctures. Decided not to use them again.
the ones I tried didn't even last 200km, before getting a big puncture that made me throw them away.

So far it's been really good with the Supersonics.

Yeah I'm running the Corsa Speed G+ but tubs. I flatted 2nd time I used them, $100 down the drain. But I've now got sealant and the're better.No flats yet, fingers crossed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest I haven’t worn a new SS down. The olds ones were basically once the rib was completely gone, and I mean completely, were pretty much EOL. I rolled EOL SS at some smaller cash-money races were competition is always fierce and numerous times I came back and I was down the cords. Mostly likel the hard brake heading into transition was the final straw.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 18, 18 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace Supersonic race-only tires? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Thomas! sounds like there is no worry to continue to use them in races until they look worn.
Quote Reply