Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When to DNS an IM?
Quote | Reply
Wish I wasn't writing this post, but curious on what others would do or have done in a similar spot.

I'm signed up for IMFL, which is 39 days away.
I haven't ran in 3 weeks, and haven't rode in 2 weeks, with very little swimming. I Injured my left knee, and it is improving, but slowly (I rode yesterday and after 30min the dull ache sets in).

I have definitely lost fitness and I don't think I'll be up to full swing for another 2 weeks, at best.

I had awesome fitness prior to the injury, as I won an Ultraman back in August, but I have no desire to walk an IM just to get it done (I've done 7).

I was supposed to race Barrelman yesterday, but didn't go, because my knee isn't near ready. I'm pretty frustrated, to say the least and with hindsight, I can see what I should have done differently, but now I just want to move on the right way.
Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: When to DNS an IM? [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you still contemplating racing because for some weird reason you think you "have to"?

You have done enough for this year so save yourself the extended mental stress and bail out now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have time or financial constraints that would be stressed by attempting the IM?

If not, head down to FL and see where you are on race day. You can always pull the ‘chute and cheer others on then sit on the beach with a frosty beverage.

You can swim in the meantime. Use a pull buoy if kicking hurts. This can be your chance to see how long your training lasts.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: When to DNS an IM? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I know I don't have to. But I've never had a lead in to an IM like I've had going this year and I'm just struggling to accept what seems like a huge missed opportunity to capitalize on the fitness I had going.

As each day passes, with minimal progress, it gets easier to see that the decision is being made for me. I guess I'm just wondering where I should draw that line.

I know nobody can likely answer this for me, but me... So maybe I'm just venting to ST as part of the processing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its still a long ways off, and if you can get lets say 3 1/2 weeks of decent training, then you really wouldn't have lost that much. Take the opportunity to use the race as a pacing exercise. Instead of going in guns full and blasting, take a long approach, and see if you can set up to negative split the run. In other words, take the pressure off a top performance, and just see where things go.

If you dont come right until a couple weeks before, then just bail, or if you want the vacation, do the aqua bike and cheer on others as someone said..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude... you WON AN ULTRAMAN this season. That’s awesome. Celebrate that! Withdraw from IM FL and focus on healing your body to set yourself up for an even better 2020. Go full bore on PT and strength training. Optimize for the long term, not half assing your 8th IM.

If you write to Ironman and formally withdraw now, you won’t show up on the DNS list. If you signed up early enough you might be able to take advantage of the “deferral” program and for a modest fee ($50 I think) defer your entry to IM FL 2020. Then attack it in 2020 with a vengeance.
Last edited by: wintershade: Sep 23, 19 20:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrote this - Better to DNS or DNF post back in to 2016 the night before Ironman Arizona. I pulled my back the week of (never had any back issues prior). I think it will give some perspective on WHY I chose to start. I hope it helps.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My $0.02: If you have confidence that you can complete the race (and in your case, run the 26.2) without significant risk of injury then go for it. If not, take the better part of valor and rest up.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: When to DNS an IM? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see a race as being like a work of art.
That the totality of races is "like a body of work."

A few defects might ad to the character of a work.

But too many defects???

No point in producing crap.

Recycle the fitness for another work.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 23, 19 21:43
Quote Reply
Re: When to DNS an IM? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree but I still think it just depends on the athlete and their personality. We are never as unfit as we think we are and sometimes just going to a race and starting and pulling out can be worth it. Even if you never jump in the water. Just going through the motions can be an important step to some. When the race turns to crap, I agree, pull the pin when you can't accomplish what you want when the risk of further injury is too great. For some it is best not to start because they can't be trusted to stop.

I do believe those defects on occasion can significantly affect the value (sense of pride, accomplishment, perseverance) of the artwork, positively.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would see a doctor. Get a notice for knee injury and contact Ironman. I bet you can get a refund, or change race entry for another race.

Regardless, don’t hurt yourself. 30 min is a short time to feel an ache and expecting to “run a marathon”.

Being healthy is always #1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still nearly 6 weeks away

Sounds like you have more than enough depth in training this year to carry you through, as long as you hit the start line with 2 good knees.

Watch what you eat, big swim block, decide later?

But if you knacker a shoulder doing this, maybe the gods are trying to tell you something.
Quote Reply
Re: When to DNS an IM? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I would see a doctor. Get a notice for knee injury and contact Ironman. I bet you can get a refund, or change race entry for another race.

Regardless, don’t hurt yourself. 30 min is a short time to feel an ache and expecting to “run a marathon”.

Being healthy is always #1

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Stop, you are killing me! Ha, ha, ha, ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

I'll take that bet!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fat chance with that.. IM are not that sympathetic unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: When to DNS an IM? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I wrote this - Better to DNS or DNF post back in to 2016 the night before Ironman Arizona. I pulled my back the week of (never had any back issues prior). I think it will give some perspective on WHY I chose to start. I hope it helps.

Thanks for that. And thanks all, for the different perspectives.. Some good points for me to contemplate.

I think I'll give it a couple more weeks. If I can't get through a simple ride or run without issue, then I'll have my answer for me - like it or not.
Cheers.
Quote Reply