Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When gear goes wrong. The day I said "farge-you" to my Hoka Bondi 4s
Quote | Reply
[moderator's edit: it's one thing to hurl an f-bomb in your post. another thing to hurl it in your thread title. title therefore edited.]

Hoka is a four letter word. Appropriate. I've always had a like / loathe relationship with them. I learned about them first here on ST a few years back. For the most part, I've used them as you would like condoms for your feet and legs, very much disconnected from the sensual experience at hand, but not worried about what you are going to wake up with tomorrow.

And for that, they've worked. Since adding them to my running shoe rotation, I've been generally injury-free. That being said, nothing great ever happens in MY Hokas. My recent pair, the Bondi 4s, I bought on clearance at Nytro in the winter of 2017. I bought them a size too big. They were to be my go to shoe for the second half of the Ultraman run segment in Penticton.

When the day came, I put them on (along with a fresh pair of socks) at about mile 30. They lasted about 400 metres before I threw them into the ditch in a ultra-fatigued and childish fit of rage. What felt sooo “right” on the sales floor at Nytro, felt like foot surgery by a wolverine masquerading as a podiatrist.

Finally, yesterday, after fourteen months of being in storage, I thought I would give them another try. It was going to be a realistic endeavour, a 50 minute run on a mix of pavement and trail. I always feel like shit for the first five minutes of any run and this was no exception. I tuned out any feeling, or lack of feeling that these blue beasts created as I began.

Seven minutes into the run on a nasty downhill, I started to believe in them as they buffered the pounding of my “winter-weight” frame on the decline. Seven minutes after that, I was mildly annoyed as somehow, after being double-tied, the shoelaces came untied.

Shortly after that, on a gnarly trail section, it started to happen. That freaking nasty Hoka induced arch burn. The one that annoyed the hell out of me during the ultra. This time, however, I couldn't just throw the bastards into the ditch, as I didn't have a support crew and I thought running back in sock feet would be worse than running back in the Bondis. I was wrong.

I cut the run short, my feet searing in pain with the unmistakable joy of a blister being born. All within 30 minutes of running. Upon returning home, the first thing I did was take off the shoes, throw them into the garbage, look at them, and said, “fuck you Hokas.” A most cathartic experience.

What's a piece of gear that has caused you pain, discomfort, annoyance or amputation? Fire away!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 20, 18 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: When gear goes wrong. The day I said "fuck-you" to my Hoka Bondi 4s [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I threw my hoka ones away. Only time I’ve ever actually thrown a pair of shoes away before I ran them into the ground
Quote Reply
Re: When gear goes wrong. The day I said "fuck-you" to my Hoka Bondi 4s [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that the materials in Hoka have gotten much cheaper, and do not last as long as when they were first introduced. Loved mine in 2013-14, but after that it went downhill. Something changed when they were bought by Deckers.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was lucky enough to buy from a place that I could send them back, thankfully! They sucked for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am moving on from Vittoria Corsa Speed tires.

F U VCS! You have burnt a hole in my wallet with your easily worn tread. Even worse when your fragile casing gives way to the road, you have caused me to hit the ground twice. Resulting in two lost race kits and a DNF on what was looking like a top 10 OA day for me.

You are fast, but I am running even faster in the opposite direction. I will not be tempted by the extra watts and seconds you claim to save me. It is an empty promise, as for every one of those perfect days that you saved me seconds you have taken back minutes.

I don’t know where I’m headed, but I now understand we are no good together.

Goodbye VCS.
Quote Reply
Re: When gear goes wrong. The day I said "fuck-you" to my Hoka Bondi 4s [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah for SBR.

I didn't want this to turn into an anti Hoka rant, as there are plenty of other things that can ruin our training and racing experiences, like the day when my wife ran the Vancouver marathon and the on course sports drink contained Stevia. The bathroom at the Starbucks in Kitsalano will never be the same after her emergency pit stop.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, I see. That was probably a WISE edit for the thread title. Thnx.

Quote Reply