Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When do you upgrade bikes and how often?
Quote | Reply
When/how often do you upgrade your bikes? I'm on the fence about bringing the upgrade question to the boss this spring, but not sure if she will bite. Money isn't a big issue, but we are typically careful with it and would try to keep it under $2k. Kinda doesn't help I have a broken clavicle right now from crashing my new mtn bike I got this summer...but anyways:

85% of my riding is gravel. My main bike currently is a 2016 Motobecane aluminum round tubed CX bike with Tiagra components. I paid $800 4 years ago, has about 6k miles on it. Its my daily rider and it fits me perfectly. Realistically, it gets about an hour a riding in 5-6 days a week. Maybe 2-3 hours on the weekends. In rides/races I'm about mid to upper mid in the pack.

What I like about it:
-I got my fit nailed in perfectly
-I upgraded bars to flared handlebars, better cable disc brakes, so its what Id like it to be for what I can upgrade.

What I dont like:
- cables are open and on top of the top tube which irritates me. Its just kind of ugly and annoying with any sort of bag.
- crankset is a 46/36 I'd prefer a 46/30, easy upgrade but debating on this if I look at a new ride
- rides very twitchy: its a CX bike, I get it, its made to be twitchy
- its a bit harsh of a ride, Id like to see how other materials ride if I look
- max tire width is 38mm, I don't need much more as my gravel roads aren't that bad but Id like the option

With all of that being said, what does Slowtwich say? Look at an upgrade? Or am I falling into the marketing of upgrading for little benefit? Keep riding it for a few more years?
Quote Reply
Re: When do you upgrade bikes and how often? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you upgrade bikes and how often? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Path #1
18 years or when you get sick of the maintenance because the old bike is so rusted and corroded.

Path #2
You have so much money that you wouldn't even notice that you spent it on a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you upgrade bikes and how often? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
Path #1
18 years or when you get sick of the maintenance because the old bike is so rusted and corroded.

Path #2
You have so much money that you wouldn't even notice that you spent it on a new bike.

Path #3
You have crashed it enough times that you no longer trust the frame.

I have a 2012 Transition that is still going strong, but it has lived a pampered life and has never been down.

I have a 2017 Roubaix that gets the living hell beat out of it, but to this day hasn't been in a serious crash so I still trust it. There will come a day when that bike no longer has my trust in a pack at 25 mph, or bombing down a hill at 40 mph.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply