Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When do you shave your legs? And tips for first-timer...
Quote | Reply
A) A races only
B) A + B races only
C) Before all races, regardless of priority/distance
D) All the time, you hairy MAMIL.
E) Never

I've never shaved my legs before because I was too slow for it to matter and it seemed a bit daft. This year, I'm getting serious. I want all the free speed I can get. I'm also pretty high on the "Chewbacca Index" and Specialized via TrainerRoad podcast tells me I'm leaving 15 watts on the table. When do you shave (night before, a day or two so no razor burn)? How do you do it (same as face with a man's razor and shave cream)? Any other tips?
Quote Reply
Re: When do you shave your legs? And tips for first-timer... [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From now on. Seriously. It's easier to maintain than redo. Besides, it's kind of nice.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you shave your legs? And tips for first-timer... [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When my friends start harassing me, then I just keep it up until the end of racing season.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you shave your legs? And tips for first-timer... [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, every 3 days or so as needed. Makes it a lot easier to apply sunscreen, before I started shaving I would skip the sunscreen as it was too messy/PIA. I get massage therapy and the lack of hair makes that better as well.

To each their own.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shave either in the shower, or right after. Want to warm up skin and loosen up the follices.

apply shaving cream. some people like to use Nair or similar depilitories in lieu of shave cream for extreme forestry.

Shave DOWNWARDS on first pass/passes, use brand new razor.

wipe downwards gently with warm water. pat dry.

ride faster.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C) for all (tri) races. Really, once the season starts i keep up with it mostly. I use a electric clipper/body groomer instead of an actual razor and it get most of the hair with a lot less hassle. If i havent shaved in a while, i will do it once about a week before the hack down the growth and then the night before the race again
Quote Reply
Re: When do you shave your legs? And tips for first-timer... [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the first pass, clearing ground the the "extreme forestry," am I better off using nair, or can this be done with a shaving cream and fresh blade.

Do you use a fresh blade every shave, every 3 days?

When you have an upcoming race, presumably you'd want to do this the night before so legs are as smooth as possible, rather than have stubble growing back?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll usually do it the night before any tri. I'll use clippers w/o any comb/guard first for a rough cut. Followed up with a new razor. As someone else said, warm shower first (or shave in the shower), and shave with the grain to help prevent irritation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
A) A races only
B) A + B races only
C) Before all races, regardless of priority/distance
D) All the time, you hairy MAMIL.
E) Never

I've never shaved my legs before because I was too slow for it to matter and it seemed a bit daft. This year, I'm getting serious. I want all the free speed I can get. I'm also pretty high on the "Chewbacca Index" and Specialized via TrainerRoad podcast tells me I'm leaving 15 watts on the table. When do you shave (night before, a day or two so no razor burn)? How do you do it (same as face with a man's razor and shave cream)? Any other tips?

Step 1:
1) Use hair clippers (Like a beard WAHL trimmer) to get it down really short. Do it over a trash can so you don't mess the house up.
2) Clean blade, in the shower with shaving cream. Go slow or you'll bleed yourself if not used to handling a razor on the the curves of the leg.

Done. Aside from that, maybe do it 1-2x a week or it gets itchy as it grows out, when hairs bump up against the clothes/jeans/pants.

DO NOT make my initial mistake of trying to "wax strip removal" it...that was painful and dots of blood coming up--follow the above, it's the easiest way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every Friday.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NEVER.
I'm a mountain biker at heart.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you shave your legs? And tips for first-timer... [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate hair growth/stubble. All in the shower, every morning...face, then from my balls to my ankles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't bother in winter, but once the season starts I'll just use an electric razor to keep it short.

wintershade wrote:
For the first pass, clearing ground the the "extreme forestry," am I better off using nair, or can this be done with a shaving cream and fresh blade

Hair clippers, they'll get most of it off in one pass

wintershade wrote:
When you have an upcoming race, presumably you'd want to do this the night before so legs are as smooth as possible, rather than have stubble growing back?

Short stubble can be alright (think golf-ball dimples), generally I'll do it a couple of nights before (more time to relax on pre-race night).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nair actually dissolves the hair...and closer to the root, so yes as to using instead of shave cream on that first pass. It helps break down the biodome before you wave that razor over the canopy.

reaching for jokes here....

Subsequent shaving depends on how quickly you sprout stubble. Shave cream designed to tighten the pore thru which the hair grows, makes it 'stick up', so still important to have sharp razor. May want to have razor for legs separate from razor for face, if you shave face everyday.

You can use Womens' or Mens Nair they are the same except for a "More Manly Scent" . Which, of course, makes you go faster.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shave as soon as I begin riding outside - generally mid to late April. I generally shave every 10-14 days 'in season' and always the day or two before a race. Shaving has been tested to be faster, but also makes cleaning up any road rash a lot easier!

I also shave my arms before big races - that has been tested to save time by Specialized as well. There's a youtube video on that if you search - buddy of mine (Cam Piper) is the test dummy!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a straight razor for my nether regions. God i love foaming up with the shavingbristle.
We got 1 child so my wife is hoping for a slip up. Thats a cheap way to reduce hospital bills

Mvg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As soon as it warms up. Not in the winter because my legs are covered up already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F) Right before my Zwift rides
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shave a week before my first race.

I just do 3 or 4 really crappy jobs until it's easy enough to maintain.

I keep it up until the season ends or I injure myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A races only

As someone already mentioned, first pass with clippers makes it much much easier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only trim it super short (vs actually razoring it) but I keep it that way permanently. I've had bad road rash before; the nurses made a specific point about how much easier it was to scrub the dirt out vs hair dudes. That was painful enough and I don't intend it to be worse the next time it happens. Alternatively maybe I should just get good at riding and not crash in the first place.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you shave your legs? And tips for first-timer... [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use body groom. Once every month during winter. When needed during warm season.
Not specifically for races. It's also a stretching workout for me.
Shaving gives me zillions of pimples from ingrown hair.

Louis :)
Quote Reply
Re: When do you shave your legs? And tips for first-timer... [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's like using a disc wheel...Only if you're fast enough :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next