Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When do you put on compression socks?
Quote | Reply
I have recently tried running in compression socks and I like it on long runs (maybe it's all mental but I don't care). I would like to wear them for IM runs but am not sure when to put them on because it takes me a number of minutes with dry feet and legs, I can't imagine how long it would take me to put them on wet feet and legs. What do the pros who wear compression socks do? Are they swimming in them?
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [10k Lakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are they swimming in them?

Yes, under their wetsuit. We will see what we see at Kona.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy Potts in T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Judging from what I saw in Madison last year, you put the compression socks on before you enter the city limits and wear them every where you go, no matter how dorky you look...

Spot

Quote | Reply
When the moment is right...
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Judging from what I saw in Madison last year, you put the compression socks on before you enter the city limits and wear them every where you go, no matter how dorky you look...

Spot

x2 at Lake Placid this year.. just don't understand it, perfectly healthy athletes all looking rather dorkish walking around town in their ol people socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my white, knee-high compression socks. Got my black shoes and bermuda shorts. Ready to hit Madison in a few days! (But no, I won't be racing in any of those things.)

Proud to post only occasionally.

http://tribomber.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [bomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure that you are wearing a Bears shirt.....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW - I put them on about 10 minutes before the start of the Under-Pants run and then I take them off immediately after it's over!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 4, 10 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please ignore all the other postings -- these folks obviously don't understand fashion.

I use compression sleeves (no feet) -- and put them on under my wetsuit --

I also wear them to work on the outside of my pants because my boss gave me a reprimand for wearing lycra shorts one day.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just sick of being laughed at by fat lazy cigarette sucking plonkers as I run by them every Sat long run whilst wearing my calf sleeves., Don't they know I have goals, ambitions, performance pressures year by year...and a dodgy calf that requires anti flam, sleeves and limited speed work every long run to avoid a calf blowout for a 3rd year in a row
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Spot

haha. It always amazes me how many blokes at Triathlon Pre-race expo's etc forget their T-shirts but remember their compression socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll put on compression socks when some properly done studies demonstrate a genuine effect.

Vanity Blog http://triathlonfoolishness.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear them pretty much whenever they're clean.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you also be requiring a study for your arm warmers, flash harry sunglasses and the vas you use to stop your butt crack chaffing? In other words, if it works in the real world for an individual then all's good fella
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [AndyD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will you also be requiring a study for your arm warmers, flash harry sunglasses and the vas you use to stop your butt crack chaffing? In other words, if it works in the real world for an individual then all's good fella

Gee there are some stupid responses around here sometimes. Not everything needs a scientific study to prove it works. I've never read a study that shows when I stand under the shower I get wet - so until I see the study it doesn't happen, I'll continue having my dry showers.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [AndyD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone's a little sensitive...

Vanity Blog http://triathlonfoolishness.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use compression sleeves (no feet) -- and put them on under my wetsuit --

reply]
x2
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is so so true
I always understood they are for RECOVERY
why do people wear them hanging out on Main street Lake Placid? so that we all go--ooh look there is a triathlete! he/she must be fast?
Whatever. I think it looks fairly stupid but do what you will.
Last edited by: triLA: Sep 5, 10 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put mine on after a race. Or after a really long/intense workout. They never see the inside of my transition bag because I see no reason at all to use them in a race myself (others may have medical needs - but those are the rare exceptions).

Better yet, I put on my recovery tights after those efforts.

Quote | Reply
For IMWI, I'll wear sleeves under the wetsuit, and then the rest of the race.

Maybe I've had too much Kool Aid, but I've experimented with sleeves/no-sleeves on my last few long runs & rides - my calfs definitely feel better for longer with the sleeves.

As much as I think they are dorky, I'll be wearing 'em on race day. I'll do anything I can to keep my nagging Mad Calf Disease from flaring up, and these help me (YMMV). Again, I fully admit that may all be in my head, but so be it!

I certainly will not be wearing them around the expo, etc on the days prior. I have to maintain some of my dignity & respect after all...

Cheers, Chris

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [Hydro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Hydro said.

I wear the sleeves under my wettie, and for the rest of the race. My calves feel MUCH better during and after racing this way.
Am I faster? I don't know. I'm a LOT faster than if I got a calf cramp or pulled a muscle and had to pull up, or stop entirely.

LOVE them for recovery. Usually wear the sleeves at night sleeping, and if need be, the socks during the day under work clothes (so nobody can see them).
Saves me numerous trips to my ART guy. And numerous flare-ups of my calf issues.

The whole walking around w/ them on while wearing shorts thing is just so needy. LOOK AT ME!!! I'M A TRIATHLETE!!!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: When do you put on compression socks? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I also will wear the sleeves under my wet suit but I won't wear sleeves or socks in a non wet suit swim. I really don't think you want to swim in the socks, IMO. Because they are hard to put on, especially when wet, T2 would make the most sense, but again, I don't bother. I do wear them for long training runs and post run recovery. In fact I am wearing them right now as I did my long run this morning in them and I just leave them on. They are great for recovery.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading this thread, I decided to try mine one last time this morning. As I thought the first few times I wore them, they are just too hot. It was only 75 degrees, I had a 2-hour tempo run at the track and hated them. I can't imagine using them where people are dropping like flies from hyperthermia.
They do feel good after the race, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I am sorry I do not have an answer to your question. I have some ordered, but will use them for recovery.
Why not try using one and a regular sock on the other for a long brick workout and see if you feel any difference in the two legs? OK you look goofy, but triathletes are used to this.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply

Prev Next