Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When do you buy a new wetsuit?
Quote | Reply
Since we all have mostly agreed that we have basically reached the age of peak aero in bikes (haven't we?), when do you all feel the time is to consider a new wetsuit assuming you have one that works and isn't torn etc, still fits etc? Are they that diff now when compared to 2-3 years ago, or is it all sales gimmicks? I have the fist gen ROKA Maverick and bought it in early 2015 when they were just coming onto the scene. It was my first suit, it fits ok although I think it could possibly be one size smaller at this point, but wonder how much faster/better fitting suits are nowadays and if that warrants some exploration. For context I am not a blistering fast swimmer at all (adult onset for sure), and my OLY times are ~24 min, 70.3 are ~32, and the one full I have done so far was 66. Is this where smart money says it is a small piece of the puzzle and leave well enough alone and focus on technique and sighting and form, or maybe look into a new suit since they all claim to be faster than ever before and pick up a bit of free speed?

And if it is time, is this like a bike where it is best to try a few on then send back, then try more until you find the perfect one etc? Logistically I feel that is a bit idealistic and a luxury only the pros have, and it would take forever, so is there a way to have someone look at me and my body composition, then look at me swim and say THIS suit is the best for you. Is that possible? And let's forget about this suit for this race and that suit for that race...I am only interested in one full suit for everything like presumably the rest of us.

FWIW, the only gripe I have had about my ROKA is occasionally I will start to feel my lower back strain just a bit near the end of a long swim. Don't know what that means, but other than that I have never had any pain points or anything else. That and it is not the easiest to get off in T1 and tends to sticks at my ankles (I have read the XTERRA Vengeance is good in this regard). But since it was my first suit I don't really know if I could actually be in love with something else and just not know it yet :).

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you buy a new wetsuit? [yrebetta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yrebetta wrote:
Since we all have mostly agreed that we have basically reached the age of peak aero in bikes (haven't we?), when do you all feel the time is to consider a new wetsuit assuming you have one that works and isn't torn etc, still fits etc? Are they that diff now when compared to 2-3 years ago, or is it all sales gimmicks? I have the fist gen ROKA Maverick and bought it in early 2015 when they were just coming onto the scene. It was my first suit, it fits ok although I think it could possibly be one size smaller at this point, but wonder how much faster/better fitting suits are nowadays and if that warrants some exploration. For context I am not a blistering fast swimmer at all (adult onset for sure), and my OLY times are ~24 min, 70.3 are ~32, and the one full I have done so far was 66. Is this where smart money says it is a small piece of the puzzle and leave well enough alone and focus on technique and sighting and form, or maybe look into a new suit since they all claim to be faster than ever before and pick up a bit of free speed?

And if it is time, is this like a bike where it is best to try a few on then send back, then try more until you find the perfect one etc? Logistically I feel that is a bit idealistic and a luxury only the pros have, and it would take forever, so is there a way to have someone look at me and my body composition, then look at me swim and say THIS suit is the best for you. Is that possible? And let's forget about this suit for this race and that suit for that race...I am only interested in one full suit for everything like presumably the rest of us.

FWIW, the only gripe I have had about my ROKA is occasionally I will start to feel my lower back strain just a bit near the end of a long swim. Don't know what that means, but other than that I have never had any pain points or anything else. That and it is not the easiest to get off in T1 and tends to sticks at my ankles (I have read the XTERRA Vengeance is good in this regard). But since it was my first suit I don't really know if I could actually be in love with something else and just not know it yet :).

Thank you.

I think we're talking about at most minimal speed differences, if any (though if your current suit is too large, that might be the source of more significant differences). And it seems very unlikely to me that your suit is causing or a new suit could help much with lower back strain at the end of a long swim. I would stick with the current suit until either the neoprene feels like it's losing enough flexibility to be an issue (and don't listen to anyone who tells you that keeping it wet is somehow related to maintaining its flexibility) or until it starts tearing in significant ways. Conversely, new stuff is fun, so if you're going to enjoy a new suit, go for it, I'd just keep your expectations about how much of an improvement it might be thoroughly in check. And Roka --and some others--will let you swim in a suit and exchange it for a different size if needed.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you buy a new wetsuit? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping you would say my times would get cut by half :).

Thank you for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should try the Aquaman Bionik.This is a very good suit at a great price with Yamamoto # 39 and # 40. The suit has what we call flexible zipper and will curve with your back to allow more comfort. Also we use a thinner neoprene at the bottom of the zipper to allow more flexibility .Check it out at http://www.aquamantri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only personal thought is you buy a new wetsuit when the one you have no longer works. A nice broken in wetsuit, that you swim comfortably in, and are confident with is worth its weight in gold. If the lower back strain is enough to cause you to buy a new suit, just be aware that it could be a problem with every suit.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I upgraded to a new suit and my swim times got slower so then I had an epiphany!
I shoulda spent the money on individual sessions with a swim instructor to work on technique to Improve my speed.
Quote Reply