Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

As some places around the world are opening some degree of business and recreation, pools will fall in line on the list.

One of our posters from Sweden answered the questions below in the May Fish Thread, but it may be helpful to see what it being applied from around the world as we may be able to learn from each other and either influence or implement at our local venues.

So if you want and can take a shot here are some questions:

1. when you swim at pools locally do you have limitations in terms of people being able to enter the change rooms
  2. are there additional limitations on swimmers per lane during public swim before Covid19 broke out
  3. are there additional cleaning measures in the change rooms?
  4. are teams able to practice and if they can, at full capacity or reduced
  5. are visits also time limited
  6. are they conducting kids lessons
  7. are they conducting seniors aqua fit sessions
  8. do you need to show you are symptom free etc
  9. any additional rules that are new that did not exist previously worth noting?

Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our local outdoor city lap pool is post poning opening until 2021. No swimming this year. Only place I actually enjoy swimming.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local lap pools opened this week. Only procedure is you have to wear a bathing suit.
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you? I'm dying to swim!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The YMCA pools in Oklahoma City opened last week. They check your temperature when you enter the building. Only one person is allowed per lane. You have to sign up online to reserve your lane within 24 hours. One lane is open for walk-ins, but only one person is allowed in that lane at a time too. Swim sessions are restricted to 45 minutes per person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1. when you swim at pools locally do you have limitations in terms of people being able to enter the change rooms
  2. are there additional limitations on swimmers per lane during public swim before Covid19 broke out
  9. any additional rules that are new that did not exist previously worth noting?

The Pool I swim at in Houston Texas opened this weekend. It is an outdoor facility with a total of 35 x 25 yard lanes. Answers:

1. Locker rooms closed. COme in your swimsuit, leave in your swimsuit
2. one swimmer per lane. Must signup ahead of time for time slot
3. NA
4. Yes, the US team is practicing. THe kids are doing 2 per lane and coaches are conducting practices on oposite ends of the pool.
5. Yes. 1 hour and 1.5 hour time slots.
6. NO. And that is the money maker for the club so it is a big deal.
7. NO.
8. NO
9. Must wear a mask on the deck. And this is smack in the middle of conservative suburban Houston. But they aren't messing around with this because there are kids around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple more answers from what I told you in the other thread last week.

The swim team is having limited practice in the morning before the club opens.

The pre-club swim kids are starting to practice today. They use 2 lanes at a time. They practice in the late afternoon and early evening.

No swim lessons or senior aqua exercise classes yet.

Saturday every lane was taken and no one doubled up. There were 1 or 2 people waiting for an open lane and they didn’t wait long. I also saw someone doing deep cleaning Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
The YMCA pools in Oklahoma City opened last week. They check your temperature when you enter the building. Only one person is allowed per lane. You have to sign up online to reserve your lane within 24 hours. One lane is open for walk-ins, but only one person is allowed in that lane at a time too. Swim sessions are restricted to 45 minutes per person.

I honestly wish my YMCA would do this very move in non-COVID times!

45 minutes of a solo lane is a friggin' paradise for me, as it happens pretty much never here in Norcal where I am. Even at 5AM, I'm joined by at least 1-2 swimmers in the lane unless it's the months of Dec-March.
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our pools are open (Arkansas). The pool I use when we go to the beach (Panama City, FL) is also open for lap swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm located in South Florida.

County pools opened last week with the following restrictions:

- Lap swimming only (no team practices, lessons, diving boards, etc)
- Signup/reserve a lane in advance (first come, first serve)
- There are 4-5 sessions a day spaced 2 hours apart. You have 90 min to swim which gives the lifeguards 30 min to clean/disinfect
- 1 person per lane
- Entry/exit to each lane will be opposite for every lane (odd lanes enter/exit on one end, even lanes enter/exit on the other end)
- Deck and lounge chairs are removed
- Showers and changing areas will be closed. Restroom toilets will be available if needed.
- Patrons are encouraged to wear masks when entering the facility

They opened up registration on Saturday at 5 pm for Tues/Wed lap swim this week. My pool down the street (20 lanes) sold out in about 5 minutes for all sessions.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

- There are 4-5 sessions a day spaced 2 hours apart. You have 90 min to swim which gives the lifeguards 30 min to clean/disinfect
- 1 person per lane
- Entry/exit to each lane will be opposite for every lane (odd lanes enter/exit on one end, even lanes enter/exit on the other end)
- Showers and changing areas will be closed. Restroom toilets will be available if needed.

They opened up registration on Saturday at 5 pm for Tues/Wed lap swim this week. My pool down the street (20 lanes) sold out in about 5 minutes for all sessions.

Where in South Florida? I'm in Miami ... I don't think my pools are open. Not being snarky ... if I'm wrong I want to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this last week. Mission Viejo Nadadores swim club re-started their practices. they reached out to the city and USA swimming with a set of guidelines that were approved.

• Swimmers arrive 15 minutes early for practice (2:45 pm or 4:45 pm).
  • After leaving their respective cars, athletes walk in separately, 10 feet apart.
  • Parents stay in their cars, and do not enter the pool gate. Athletes only.
  • Athletes arrive at the pool prepared to swim. No locker-rooms, showering or deck changing. Athletes are to wear their suit to the pool.
  • Athletes enter the 50m pool deck at the swim school end, depart at the dive pool end.
  • Athletes immediately report to their assigned lanes and put their belongings at the end of the lane near the fence.
  • One swimmer per lane. Swimmers must stay and swim in the center of the lane (six feet apart)
  • Locker rooms will remain locked. If swimmers use the swim school toilets they must clean it thoroughly following use.
  • Depart the practice immediately before the next group arrives.
  • Athletes cannot loiter in the parking lot at MAC.
  • Parents must be ready to pick athletes up as soon as practice finishes.
  • Athletes must exit ten feet apart.
  • Swimmers that do not follow these rules will be removed from the group.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For once I regret moving from Florida.

Haven't been in the water since March 17th... no end in sight here in CO.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Alberta, it will take few months before gyms / pools reopen. Pretty sure they will wait until the number of new case is somewhere around zero. So physical distancing will no longer be required.... TDB
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miamiamy wrote:
stevej wrote:

- 1 person per lane

Where in South Florida? I'm in Miami ... I don't think my pools are open. Not being snarky ... if I'm wrong I want to know.

Palm Beach County

blog
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

- 1 person per lane

I get the rationale but why bother opening at all with these conditions? I’m surprised they’re not requiring wearing a mask while swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
stevej wrote:

- 1 person per lane

I get the rationale but why bother opening at all with these conditions? I’m surprised they’re not requiring wearing a mask while swimming.

From far away, I THINK that part of this process is to gradually ease back into all kinds of operations in society. We can't go from full steam doing everything to the lock down, to suddenly going back to full steam (at whatever point), because arguably we are all worried about humans we are around and we're actually worried about what we doing affecting others...until we know that what we are doing is not hurting anyone and we know we're not hurting ourselves.

I believe public health officials all over are trying to play this fine balance giving their respective societies some rope to play with and seeing impact on "return to biz/return to play" on where the virus goes.

So while I agree, on the one hand with "why bother" if we don't experiment a bit, no one will ever know what has the risk reward tradeoffs. Society does this all the times with things like pharmaceutical drugs and traffic. There is a risk that the drugs have bad side effects or the speed limit is not low enough, so its a continuous risk/reward balance that all societies play. Germany's "no speed limit" on the autbahn would be a disaster in some countries, but they make it work. What works in a 36 lane x 25 yard lane outdoor pool in Florida may not work a 20 yard x 5 lane pool in central London, so I believe each pool is roughly an experiment of one, but there is commanility from all over that may shake out. One of the posters said the only rule in his pool is showing up in the bathing suit, so that may seem like the speed limitless autbahn from a driving analogy to some of us
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 11, 20 16:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a thought as I saw that they have found Covid19 virus in human crap, not sure why they tested it but apparently it can live for a long time in crap so I hope no one out there swimming is going to do any do do's especially the kids in the pool as it will take more than a shock treatment to the pool to get rid of that virus!! ugh I know but I was shocked to read about it.
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at least at the YMCA I normally go to, which is still closed, if a kid craps in the pool it’s closed until the next day to filter/clean. Can the virus even survive in chlorine?
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The local YMCA here in St Petersburg is open to lap swimmers only - you must call ahead and make an appointment (1 hr max). Sounds like a pretty good deal providing there's time available when you need it. I'm usually swimming behind the house this time of year as the water quality is excellent and it's super convenient.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know really, but imagine if the virus couldn't survive in chlorine then maybe we could all drink chlorine!! ;-) but you don't want them floaters anyway!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Seoul and gyms/pools opened a few weeks ago.

Temperature is taken at the entrance. Masks are required at the gym (and pretty much anywhere else in the city). Some people are starting to get lax but a majority of people still follow the guidelines. Hand sanitizer is provided anywhere you go. Aside from the pool and showers, people are required to wear masks.
Quote Reply
Re: When Your Pools are Reopening What Procedures are Being Used ? [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hercules wrote:
Just a thought as I saw that they have found Covid19 virus in human crap, not sure why they tested it but apparently it can live for a long time in crap so I hope no one out there swimming is going to do any do do's especially the kids in the pool as it will take more than a shock treatment to the pool to get rid of that virus!! ugh I know but I was shocked to read about it.

from what i understand, chlorine kills coronavirus very effectively, it just takes time and/or concentration so an overnight shock treatment will take care of it no problem.
so with crap in the pool covid is the least of your worries (the other worries are significant)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The great outdoors is similar to a negative pressure indoor environment, so an outdoor pool might not be too unsafe. Indoors is another matter. I am reminded of the choir in Washington. 60 people at choir practice, about 45 cases a couple weeks later and at least two deaths. I am not sure anyone knows whether opening an indoor pool is a good idea, but I guess we will know in a couple weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hi all,

As some places around the world are opening some degree of business and recreation, pools will fall in line on the list.

One of our posters from Sweden answered the questions below in the May Fish Thread, but it may be helpful to see what it being applied from around the world as we may be able to learn from each other and either influence or implement at our local venues.

So if you want and can take a shot here are some questions:

Our state government (Vic, AUS) announced a slight easing of restrictions that kick in after 11.59pm tonight, but unfortunately, gyms & pools (even outdoors) were not mentioned. So it looks like at least 3 more weeks of swimming in the bay.
Quote Reply

Prev Next