Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheelset recommendations please -->
Quote | Reply
I'm tired of all the researching and endless web searches for the ultimate wheels for my bike so I'd simply like to hear what you guys would recommend. This is what I'm working with:

Middle of the pack age grouper, 175 lbs., riding a Giant TCR2 with stock Mavic CXP21's. Money is an issue so I'd like to keep the purchase under $500 if possible but that's not etched in stone. Don't want the hasssles of tubulars. Looks and coolness are definetly a must since I don't plan on winning I want to atleast look damn good while competing. And of course I want the absolute lightest and fastest wheel I can get that won't give me headaches with broken spokes and keeping true. So what would you recommend??

~ A penny saved is a government oversight.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset recommendations please --> [TCR2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$500. gives you a lot of choice. The most bang for the buck is to first buy a new Renn disc for under $350. With what's left go on ebay and by a Hed Jet 60 for the front. This is a good choice and what's left over still may be enough to buy a few beers. Keep the Mavics for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset recommendations please --> [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah you gotta go with the renn. read the 'last weekend failure' thread and you'll see that you gotta give those guys your buisness. frank rehnelt is one hell of a dude.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem with my stock Bianchi/Ambrosio wheels - too few spokes, pain in the ass to keep true, spokes breaking at the worst times - like in the middle of a crit. I am 6'0, 180 lbs, so I needed something pretty strong.

I decided to get the Mavic Ksyrium SSC-SL's. They are sweet wheels - seriously. They are wicked light, strong as hell, and have really nice, smooth bearings. They are clearly roadie wheels, but that's fine with me since I would rather have weight and strength at this point rather than aerodynamics since I live in a very hilly area. I have had these wheels for almost 900 miles, and they are still perfectly true.

A good friend of mine had an interesting experience with his Ksyriums - he was riding his aluminum Litespeed doing about 30Mph down a hill when some lady in a Ford Aerostar pulled out in front of him. He hit the side of the van at full speed, sending him through the side window. He was wearing a helmet, and aside from some scrapes and bruises, he was fine. His frame was toast - broken in two, but the wheels survived and didn't even need to be trued.

You can pick these up for less than $600 at www.Totalcycling.com.

I am waiting until I get my dedicated tri bike before I pick up my aero wheels - since I run Campy 10, I will probably get the Zipps.

Good luck in your hunt,

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm cool looks, light, fast, and $500?? I agree with the Renn call. I've got one too. It's a great deal, and you could slap some great graphics on all that real estate. So that leaves about $180. My first recommendation would be a Nimble Fly up front, but that would require some more cash as the stock Fly is $350. These aren't the sexiest looking wheels until you get up close. They're 100% carbon fiber rims and are wicked light. (I have one of these too and I love it) It's a great all conditions race wheel. They do show up on ebay periodically, so you may be able to get a deal on one there. If you do go with a new Renn, I think you may have to go Ebay to stay within budget.

Or... Maybe they are too common now, and a lot of people use them for training. But you should be able to track down an old but unused set of Rolf Vector Pros in either clincher or tubular for $500. These are great, fast, and bombproof wheels, and I think they look Phat! (They are a bit on the heavy side though) You can get great deals on these wheels now, and at anything under $550 is a huge deal IMO.
Quote Reply