Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheelset- Replace or Rebuild?
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of ALX 630 wheels that came on my roadbike that are in need of replacement. After roughly 10,000 mi I have broken 2 spokes on the rear, and just recently broke my 1st spoke on the front (the front has much fewer miles considering it's just bearing weight while i'm on my trainer.) I'm done replacing spokes as I think at this point it's going to keep happening on a regular basis. For reference i'm 150-155lb so I don't put a ton of weight or power into my wheels.

My question is should I a) have the wheels completely rebuilt by my LBS, or b) buy a new wheelset? If I buy new, I would be interested in some of the wider options on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset- Replace or Rebuild? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, better wheels for myself. If you want carbon, you need to decide profile and brand. Money is a big playing part of it, new or used. I find that you can get a lot of good used wheelsets....... Just remember the bigger the profile of the wheels, when you get lots of crosswinds be sure to hold onto your bars.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replace for sure. Doesn't have to break the bank if you find a local wheelbuilder who can lace up a wide rim a la H+Son Archetype/Hed Ardennes or something similar. Tell them your weight and riding style and they can recommend you a build for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10000 miles is nothing for a decent road wheel set, so yours suck. If the rims are at all out of true or the bearings aren't nearly perfect, I would get rid of them. You can waste a lot of time trying to fix junk.

Flo 30s are a nice budget wheel set. From there the sky is the limit.
Quote Reply