Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8?
Quote | Reply
Yep, another wheel thread :)
Hello, I'm in a process of building 2020 Venge.
I'm thinking to get Rival clx64 or Enve 7.8.
Price is almost the same, aero is probably very similar. Does anyone have an experience how these wheels perform in a crosswind? Im going to use this bike mostly for flat road races/crits. Both wheels come with DT240 hubs, both have lifetime warranty.
Basically, I care about aero performance and crosswind stability.
Thank you.
Last edited by: Ksavostin: Dec 20, 19 22:24
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8? [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If so and you may get stuff from a shop for it maybe a discount if the wheels are Rovals that Specialized sells also (it’s a Venge). Never know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a front enve 7.8 and don't notice cross winds much. i think it comes down to rider comfortability, weight, position and handling skills more so than the wheels. you won't get a straight answer. it's splitting hairs between the 2 wheels, they're both great. i'd get the roval just because specialized ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Yep, another wheel thread :)
Hello, I'm in a process of building 2020 Venge.
I'm thinking to get Rival clx64 or Enve 7.8.
Price is almost the same, aero is probably very similar. Does anyone have an experience how these wheels perform in a crosswind? Im going to use this bike mostly for flat road races/crits. Both wheels come with DT240 hubs, both have lifetime warranty.
Basically, I care about aero performance and crosswind stability.
Thank you.

I had and rolled and raced both. Ultimately I kept the Roval CLX 64. I was in a very minimalist stage and wanted less wheels in the stable. It felt great and stable in all winds and is super light. The brake track definitely leaves something to be desired, but and in at least my case, my Enve 7 seemed like a little bit of unfinished product in the rim bed. Had to sand it down in a lumpy spots to get a nice layer of rim tape down. I really wouldn't want a CLX 64 on a rainy day and always had a HED JET black 6+ ready to go for rainy days.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you feel any differences in speed/acceleration?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:

No, nobody should be able to feel it. The difference is going to be too small to perceive. You looking at disc brakes or rim brakes? If you are looking at rim brakes I would probably just go with HED JET 6+ or HED JET 6+ black.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:

No, nobody should be able to feel it. The difference is going to be too small to perceive. You looking at disc brakes or rim brakes? If you are looking at rim brakes I would probably just go with HED JET 6+ or HED JET 6+ black.
Disc brake, venge comes only with disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding the clx64 disc brake for about 5 weeks now and I love them. I've not ridden the enves somi cannot speak to them but I've ridden HED a lot too and these feel more stable in crosswinds too. They also have a great outer/inner width so that if you mount up a 23mm gp5000 they measure about 26mm vs the 27.5mm outer rim width, so they meet the 105% rule (joshatsilca posted about this rule developed when aero testing at zipp).

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rovals every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Enve....I'll pass.
Last edited by: NealH: Dec 21, 19 16:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a Venge Pro last month, and upgraded the wheelset to the CLX64s. Cant really do an A/B comparison, but my rationale was that, given that Spesh's expertise in the windtunnel is certainly up there at the top, it made more sense to get a wheel that was likely designed in conjunction with the Venge. Also, whether or not it is true, the Spesh guy at the shop where i bought the Venge said that the CLX64s will be a bit stiffer (they also sell Enve).

So far, have been very happy with the choice. Wheels are indeed stiff, i dont notice it catching too much sidewind (and it's pretty windy around these parts at this time of the year) and most importantly, they make a very satisfying whoosh-whoosh.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Enve....I'll pass.

How come?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:

Disc brake, venge comes only with disc.

Given discs then I have no problem going with the CLX 64. Great wheel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You realize specialized licenses the shape of their wheels from HED right?

Not cutting down specialized, but if you’re licensing the shape and paying a bit more, might as well go with the less expensive almost same wheels of HED.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8? [TurboVette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TurboVette wrote:

Not cutting down specialized, but if you’re licensing the shape and paying a bit more, might as well go with the less expensive almost same wheels of HED.

First I have heard of that. Are you by any chance confusing Rovals with Knots (Cannondale *does* license from HED)?

--
Last edited by: guadzilla: Dec 25, 19 4:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TurboVette wrote:

Whether they license the qualitative shape or not (I have no idea), the outer width of HED wheels is 25mm and Roval is 27.5. That alone is a significant consideration. It also shows that the shape is not exactly the same. Depths are obviously also different given that HED does not make a 64mm deep wheel, as are spokes, spoke count, hubs..... the roval white paper said hub shape was a significant factor in their performance.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Dec 25, 19 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TurboVette wrote:

Yes I am aware of the license deal but I thought that was for the width. I have HED JET+ as my only race wheel at the moment for what it is worth. They are very different wheels and shapes. The Specialized is much much wider wheel (same internal width) but is a much wider wheel. Never seen a wider wheel than the Roval meanwhile the HED JET+ is actually very narrow (relatively) with a wide tire bed.

Quote Reply
Re: Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roval are close to 30 in width ? 27.5????
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d go with the Rovals if aero is the primary consideration: lower spoke count on the front and more aero hubs. Specialized actually did quite a bit of work optimizing those hubs.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right now I have a CLX50 as well as Enve 5.6. Still jonesing for something deeper. First choice would actually be a Swisside Hadron ultimate 80.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I’d go with the Rovals if aero is the primary consideration: lower spoke count on the front and more aero hubs. Specialized actually did quite a bit of work optimizing those hubs.

The 7.8 is consistently #1 or #2 in aero comparisons while I'm yet to see a Roval in any top 3 list. Have you seen the Roval test well in any comparison or are you just assuming the spoke count and hub make a meaningful difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels choice Roval CLX64/ENVE 7.8? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

The 7.8 is consistently #1 or #2 in aero comparisons while I'm yet to see a Roval in any top 3 list. Have you seen the Roval test well in any comparison or are you just assuming the spoke count and hub make a meaningful difference?
According aero test CLX64 is a bit faster than ZIPP808, 7.8 is also a bit faster than 808, therefore I think clx65 and 7.8 are very close to each other in terms of aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I *know* the spoke count has a meaningful impact on drag. Zipp, Swisside, and others have info floating around out there. FWIW, all of the wind tunnel tests for the Roval, Enve, and Zipp are in rim brake guise where all the hubs are comparably aero. With disc brakes the differences between hubs can be quite dramatic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 7.8 is only top of the aero chart when with a 25mm tire. Short of that it’s mortal and isn’t the fastest.

That said the HED is the least finicky wheel with whatever tire. It constantly performs and tire choice isn’t as relevant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why only HED for rainy days? Did you consider the CLX better in dry conditions than the HED??
Quote Reply

Prev Next