Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wheel dilemma
Quote | Reply
Hello guys,

I’m currently looking for an upgrade for my ~2008 clincher Aeolus 5.0s (10 -> 11 spd, '14 Cervelo S3). I must say that I was very happy with them.

I’m looking for fast, but also training wheels (~3000 miles per year). I don’t mind the trouble of tubular tires, if they allow me to compete and also train faster.

I ride 95% on flats, but windy roads.

I’m pretty light (55 kg), but the roads here are really bad.

My maximum budget is 1500$ CAD, but lower would be even better. I therefore have a some options looking at the current market:
- HED Jet 5/6, clincher version, 2012, 1700g (ouch), around 900$,
- Bontrager Aura 50mm, clincher version, 2013, 1750g (double ouch), around 650$
- Easton EC90 Aero 58mm, tubular version, 2012 but brand new rebuilt hub, 1350g, around 800$
- Mavic Cosmic SLR, clincher version, 2014, 1600g, around 1500$
- Zipp 404, tubular version, 2013, , 1450g, around 1500$
- Zipp 606, tubular version, 2010 but converted to 11 spd (how? Not sure…), 1400g, around 1000$
- Hand built 50mm, clincher version, 2014 (0 mile), 1350g, Sapim CX-RAY plays (2,3mm X 0,9mm), Alchemy ORC 20/24 hub, around 900$
- Hand built 60mm, tubular version, 2013, 1450g, Chris King R45 Ceramic hub, around 900$

What would you choose and why?

My current preference is the Easton EC90 Aero tubular, because it's pretty light, much cheaper than the Zipps, looks really good, and the hub is brand new.

Thanks a lot,
Yan
Last edited by: Xcessiv: Sep 12, 14 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel dilemma [Xcessiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would give consideration to wheels with aluminum brake tracks, especially if they may be used in the rain. Give a look at Flos and Swiss Side Hadrons. Both will be less than your maximum budget even after dealing with shipping/duties to Canada. I have purchased Flo 30s and Hadrons and shipping to Canada was painless. The Flo 30s are all aluminum which is nice, but the Hadrons are really sweet. I prefer them over all other wheelsets that I have owned including Zipp 404 Firecrest (hate the brake surface) and Jet 7/Jet Disc (Jet 7 is too deep of a front wheel for me; the Disc is fun on windy days). Comparative wind tunnel test results between the Hadrons and various top level competing wheels as witnessed by various bicycle media journalists are beginning to surface. The results should be VERY interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel dilemma [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. One detail, I won't use them in the rain, as I have a "rain dedicated bike" lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked the Zipps in dry weather - they handled possibly better than the Hadrons, were WAY quieter, and braking was always sufficient albeit they did take longer to stop than wheels with aluminum brake tracks.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel dilemma [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the Zipps worth double the price of as light, as fast EC90s?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel dilemma [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
??? :o|
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xcessiv wrote:
??? :o|

Once you start wanting to race and train on the same wheels life gets difficult. Nothing good comes of it!

Your current wheels are very nice. Could just keep on keeping on.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Aeolus 5.0 unfortunately cannot be converted to 11 spds.

I'm ready to deal with the compromises of having only 1 wheelset, I know it's not the best situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just grab some $20 training wheels off craiglist!

You might be able to file down the freehub on the Aeolus to make 11 speed work. People have done this on other wheels. Of course there has to also be spoke clearance and I don't know if there is.

Xcessiv wrote:
I'm ready to deal with the compromises of having only 1 wheelset, I know it's not the best situation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, then what if I convert my question to: from this list, what would you choose as road racing wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xcessiv wrote:
Ok, then what if I convert my question to: from this list, what would you choose as road racing wheels.

HED, Bontrager, and Zipp are all good options. The others I would avoid.

Money no object probably Zipp 303s, or 303 front 404 rear. Clincher allows you to put fresh, fast race tires on for race day and flat less. Since your roads are flat there is no advantage to tubulars.

HED Jet4/5/6 are nearly as good for a lot less money and with a better braking surface!

Last edited by: jackmott: Sep 12, 14 8:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the two custom built?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train on cheap wheels. Save the nice wheels for races or group rides
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel dilemma [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Train on cheap wheels. Save the nice wheels for races or group rides
Again, then is I convert my question to: What would you choose for road racing wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xcessiv wrote:
What about the two custom built?

The custom built options offer no performance advantages, and if the rims aren't shaped well, could be slower. *might* be more durable.

I think people find the Chris King hubs more pleasant to service but you can service zipp/hed hubs too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xcessiv wrote:
Hello guys,

I’m currently looking for an upgrade for my ~2008 clincher Aeolus 5.0s (10 -> 11 spd, '14 Cervelo S3). I must say that I was very happy with them.

I’m looking for fast, but also training wheels (~3000 miles per year). I don’t mind the trouble of tubular tires, if they allow me to compete and also train faster.

I ride 95% on flats, but windy roads.

I’m pretty light (55 kg), but the roads here are really bad.

My maximum budget is 1500$ CAD, but lower would be even better. I therefore have a some options looking at the current market:
- HED Jet 5/6, clincher version, 2012, 1700g (ouch), around 900$,
- Bontrager Aura 50mm, clincher version, 2013, 1750g (double ouch), around 650$
- Easton EC90 Aero 58mm, tubular version, 2012 but brand new rebuilt hub, 1350g, around 800$
- Mavic Cosmic SLR, clincher version, 2014, 1600g, around 1500$
- Zipp 404, tubular version, 2013, , 1450g, around 1500$
- Zipp 606, tubular version, 2010 but converted to 11 spd (how? Not sure…), 1400g, around 1000$
- Hand built 50mm, clincher version, 2014 (0 mile), 1350g, Sapim CX-RAY plays (2,3mm X 0,9mm), Alchemy ORC 20/24 hub, around 900$
- Hand built 60mm, tubular version, 2013, 1450g, Chris King R45 Ceramic hub, around 900$

What would you choose and why?

My current preference is the Easton EC90 Aero tubular, because it's pretty light, much cheaper than the Zipps, looks really good, and the hub is brand new.

Thanks a lot,
Yan

boyd wheels were not mentioned
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is an individual choice. The Zipps have wonderful build quality and the only reason why I sold my Firecrest 404s is that it was going to cost me a fortune to cover the rear wheel from 10 to 11 spd. When looking at a replacement set of wheels I just could not justify the cost of of Zipps/Bontrager/Enve, etc. I also wanted to move back to an aluminum brake track. I was planning on purchasing a set of Flo 60/90s but ended up with a Hed Jet 7/Disc set instead. The Heds are REALLY nice but I find the Jet 7 a bit deep on windy days. Also, using the Disc as a regular wheel is silly IMO. During this time I had been following the development of the Swiss Side Hadron and decided to take a leap of faith and purchase a set. I was one of, if not the first, users in North America to get a set of production Hadrons. They are really nice wheels that I have been using for training and racing. Being able to use one set of wheels for both is nice. The other nice thing about the Hadrons is that I can use a 80 mm butyl tube for flat repairs without the potential hassle of valve extenders (latex tubes are in the wheels all of the time).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think people find the Chris King hubs more pleasant to service

If you buy all the special tools....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious also on what people think of the EC90. I was looking at them for the same reasons, light and less expensive. Maybe not "aero" enough in testing?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel dilemma [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They come in pretty colors. That's why people buy King hubs (myself included). And to match their headsets.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel dilemma [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
auto208562 wrote:
Curious also on what people think of the EC90. I was looking at them for the same reasons, light and less expensive. Maybe not "aero" enough in testing?

the new EC90 looks like they are pretty good.
also worth a look are the new Profile Design wheels, which tested really well in a recent test.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would you choose for road racing wheels.

Depends on how you race. You are light, so climbing should be your forte. I'd opt for light tubulars. You can buy a set direct from China for <$400 if you are cheap. BHS has Gigantex (good quality Taiwan company) 300g, 30mm deep, 25mm wide rims for $700/pair. You could build or have those built into a wheelset with nice hubs for under $1500. Should weigh ~1100g.

Lots of light tubular wheelsets on the used market also.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thrilled with my Flo 60/90s ... cost is about 1/4 of the Zipp. If you're working towards a podium spot, spend whatever it takes ... but I would suspect most of the people there are sponsored with whatever wheels they want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the profile design also.
Quote Reply

Prev Next