Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I purchased a used Trek Speed Concept a few months back for my first tri bike. This bike was previously used just for TTs and came with only tubular race wheels. ~80mm Zipp front wheel and Zipp full disk back wheel.

For context, I'm 25yr old male, 5'9", very light at 128lbs (58kg), and current have a 230w FTP. Looking to get it to 250w before the season starts. 2020 will be my 3rd year in triathlon and I'm looking to break the 4:40 mark this year in the 70.3 distance.

I've been putting in time on the trainer but need to start thinking about getting a set of wheels I can actually ride outside with on a regular basis.

I'd personally like to avoid everything that goes with tubular wheels, especially the concern of having to change the tire mid race. I recognize they are less likely to flat, but want to keep the simpler so I feel confident in mid race repairs. I am leaning towards selling them to buy a set of carbon clinchers I can train and race with.

Now for the actual question part. For an all-around wheel to both train and race on I was thinking of getting perhaps a 60mm front and 88mm back wheel. However I'm slightly concerned the 88mm back might be too deep for me as such a light rider. I don't want to get blown off my bike in a crosswind. I was also considering simply 50mm or 60mm for both front and back.

Any thoughts on wheel depth for a wheel-set that will double as training and race wheels for someone 128lbs (58kg)?

Thanks!
Last edited by: icabob: Feb 2, 20 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [icabob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep the 808 and disc for racing

Train on anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hed Jet 6 great training and racing wheels for you if you only want one set of wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Keep the 808 and disc for racing

Train on anything else.

That's what I'd suggest too.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My original reasoning was to avoid the hassle of the tubular tire as my races aren't coming down to seconds. I don't currently have any experience with them so it's a bit stressful to envision changing them in a race.

From your perspective do you think it is just a suck it up and learn how to deal with tubulars kinda situation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubulars are not a big deal to work with but if you have money burning holes in your pocket I'd get a FLO Disc and a 60 front. Looking at $1550? plus tires.

If you already have good tires on your Zipps I'd keep them.

I have experience with both types of tires so I could go either way, personally I like clinchers cuz I have a lot of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubular tires are a lot faster to change if you get a flat.

And a rear disc wheel is faster and more stable than a spoked wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much difference it is between Flo vs Zipp? Are you using the full carbon Flo or carbon with aluminium braking track?
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m a couple of inches shorter than you but same weight. I’ve been using Zipp disc and 808 combo for 3 years without a single flat. I use continental competition tires and put 1/3 bottle of sealant already in. I don’t have training wheels so I ride like that all the time and love it. Of course, I would love to have 858 nsw and Super 9 disc if I had money.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [skyjuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The FLOs are probably faster than the Zipps. Zipps really are not that special and have been passed by a number of other brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't use FLO or Zipp, but if I had to buy a new bike and get new wheels I'd be getting FLO's with the Aluminum braking track or I'd go to Carbon Speed Cycle.

At my level I seriously doubt I'd see any difference at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The HED Jet 6/9 combo is pretty hard to beat for the money. That is what I bought and used at Kona this past year. I usually ride a HED 9 front and disc rear, but wanted something a bit easier to handle in winds (and discs aren't allowed in Kona).

If you don't already have some training wheels, you could just buy a cheap set, then use the tubular wheels on race day. My personal preference is the heavier and more bomb proof the training wheels/tires are, the better. That makes putting race wheels/tires on feel that much faster!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'3" slightly lighter than you, I ride HED Jet 4 Plus as my only wheel (I train and race on a road bike now... DL sprint). Love them, they are super solid and don't have any noticeable impact on steering even when it's windy. I have Zipp 404s on my tri bike (DA1), and the bike/wheel combo - while super fun - always felt squirrelly in a crosswind especially at high downhill speeds.
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am almost of the same weight, but at a much shorter body frame (5"3). I once talked to a triathlon coach and he mentioned if only I am able to generate 300W, it is pointless to get a disc wheel, and recommended that I use a 80mm+ wheel instead. Not sure if this is a valid remark
Quote Reply
Re: [skyjuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should get a different coach.
Quote Reply
Re: [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You should get a different coach.

I second this.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The FLOs are probably faster than the Zipps. Zipps really are not that special and have been passed by a number of other brands.

I don't know about FLO wheels but based on my research, HED 6/9 combo is definitely faster than Zipps.
I love the look of 858 NSW though. It looks gorgeous and fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I don't know about FLO wheels but based on my research, HED 6/9 combo is definitely faster than Zipps.
That is my research too... I had FLO carbon clinchers that I loved. I am now riding HED JET Back wheels, that I love.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the Flo wheels in the used market is carbon with aluminium braking. Seriously thinking to get a pair, but just a bit of a hassle to swap out my carbon brake pad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skyjuice wrote:
Most of the Flo wheels in the used market is carbon with aluminium braking. Seriously thinking to get a pair, but just a bit of a hassle to swap out my carbon brake pad.
Yep. My gut guess is that the source of those FLO Aluminum wheels are mostly early-in owners that switch to FLO Carbon Clinchers. There is no reason to sell a FLO CC unless you want to change depth or brake track.

When I had my 60/90 FLO CC wheels, they were my everyday wheels. So, I never swapped the pads. That worked fine-- they are very durable.

I changed wheels because I wanted both different depth and aluminum brake tracks (specifically HED's Black brake track). I am now riding 90/disc as my everyday wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Within reason, bike handling is more important than weight. I am just a tad heavier than you @61 kg, probably race about the same speeds (4:33 pb on 70.3). Personally, unless its like >40 mph crosswinds, I never really feel the disk. As for the front, 90 mm is usually ok most of the time but I "feel it" on heavy crosswinds. A 60 mm feels really comfortable in all conditions. If there are a lot of downhills on crosswinds then I may opt for 60 mm to make sure the crosswinds don't punish my skinny ass too much, but I have raced in conditions like that with the 90 mm without too many issues. As for training, I use some cheap/heavy 40 mm wheels at least to constantly practice having a deep wheel on the front.

As for tubies vs clincher, the current trend is that clinchers is the way to go but if you pre-setup your tubies properly (taped, have some selant inside, 6" gap,never glued, pre-stretch lightweight tubie as spare) you can change it faster than a clincher.

Tubie:
-Remove wheel
-Rip it off
-Place the new one
-Pump, and don't push too hard on corners ;-)

Clincher:
-Remove wheel
-Get lever to remove.
-Lift clincher
-Remove tube
-Install tube
-Re-sit clincher.
-Pump

One advantage to clinchers is you can have multiple punctures whereas with tubies, it is harder to carry more than one tubie.

I have both type of racing wheels by the way. Hopefully I didn't start an endless argument about this..;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taped?

6 inch gap?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel depth selection for lightweight rider [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubular tape instead of glue, 6" was a typo, it is more like 2" section that it is not taped to have a "weak spot" to remove the tire easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Clincher:
-Remove wheel
-Get lever to remove.
-Lift clincher
-Remove tube
-Inspect for debris got stuck on the tire
-Install tube
-Re-sit clincher.
-Pump

I've added another step which is '-Inspect for debris got stuck inside of the tire.'
I didn't do this two times, so I ended up running out of spare tube.
It's a very critical step.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubular glue tape is much slower than a proper glue job.

Leaving an unglued gap also makes the tire slower. You should glue all the way around. If you get a flat, cut the tire off with a razor blade.
Quote Reply

Prev Next