Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Choice Help
Quote | Reply
I have an opportunity on the two following at basically the same price, Hed H3 rear and Hed Alps front or a set of Zipp 404's. Which would you choose and why. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Choice Help [mb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering the exact same thing. I don't want to see this topic drop off the front page, so I'll give it a bump. Hopefully someone will jump in.

Zeke
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Choice Help [Zeke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have recently purchased a new set of 2003 404 tubulars. I would definitely recommend getting a tubular wheelset vs a clincher. I do not have any experience with the HED's, but I can vouch for the 404's. They are SO light (1275/wheelset), and the hubs are silly smooth. The gluing process takes time, but if you are carefull it will turn out neat and clean. There really is now way of gauging how much faster the wheelset is, but I do feel like they are faster than training clinchers. Also, they seem to be tough, I am 6'3 200 lbs and have been using them for about 250 miles so far (training and racing). Hope this helps - Ernie
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Choice Help [mb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy: Zipps becasue, if they are ever damaged, they can be repaired. Wire spoke wheels can be repaired after a crash. Composite spoke wheels are good, but a severe crash can permanently destroy them when the same crash may only destroy four wire spokes which could be replaced. I think the softer ride characteristics of a wire spoke wheel may also make them (or more correctly, make YOU)faster also. Hed is an excellent, excellent product, but I do like wire spokes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Choice Help [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought the 2003 Zipp 909 wheelset and will second Ernie's remark about lightness and silky smooth bearings. You will NOT be disappointed with the Zipp product. Oh, and definately tubular.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply