Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Advice Needed
Quote | Reply
I want to upgrade my stock Shimano A500 wheels on my QR Kilo. Am looking for something lightweight, aero, and use for training and racing, so no swapping out, so they need to be fairly durable. $1K or less for the set. The choices are dizzying. HED Jet 5 Plus? Zipps? Help please.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Advice Needed [FedeleTemperini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels

Quality products and great backup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you would be interested, but I just picked up a set of these. The price was pretty nice, and reviews also seem nice. Havent received the wheels yet, so I personally don't have experience.
https://www.tokyowheel.com/...on-clincher-wheelset

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FedeleTemperini wrote:
I want to upgrade my stock Shimano A500 wheels on my QR Kilo. Am looking for something lightweight, aero, and use for training and racing, so no swapping out, so they need to be fairly durable. $1K or less for the set. The choices are dizzying. HED Jet 5 Plus? Zipps? Help please.

Used HED Jet 6+.

p.s. I happen to know where you can get a set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As my first big wheel purchase I got Hed jet 6+ about 2 years ago. I love them and have nothing bad to say about them. They're on trend with increased widths, are tubeless ready, fast, good quality, and hed is a great company. They can usually be found for sub 1k, esp at this time of year. https://mybikeshop.com has them for 936 now. The only thing to know with Jets is that the deep carbon part is not structural, it's just a fairing. The spokes go through holes in the fairing and connect to the rim underneath. Only thing this means is you have to be perhaps a touch more careful with the fairings, i.e., not clamping them to a roof rack or something like that. They're not Rock solid to the touch. It's purely a fairing. But it's a brilliant design and a way to keep costs down. I should add I use them as a daily wheel, training and racing. I've put a solid 8000 miles on them and they're still rolling smooth and perfectly with zero maintenance to this point.

Love Hed, but if I was gunna drop a grand-ish on wheels now, I'd probably get a set from Hunt.
Last edited by: PBT_2009: Nov 26, 19 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED Jet Plus is pretty much the no-brainer. They are bomb-proof, and likely the fastest too. Your only decision is how deep. I have a set of 9/disc Black wheels on my TT bike that are my everyday wheels. I have no other. I love training on them. HED runs pretty good Black Friday sales, so you will likely see them for well under $1K USD. The Jet 5 are $800. The Jet 6 is $940. The Jet 6/9 combo is $1,100. My hunch is that the deeper wheels will go cheaper by the end of the week.

Look at mybikeshop.com. They usually have the best prices and stellar customer service.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Advice Needed [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels

Quality products and great backup

i agree, as long as you're cool with your freehub being heard in the next state!
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Nov 26, 19 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Advice Needed [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
HED Jet Plus is pretty much the no-brainer. They are bomb-proof, and likely the fastest too. Your only decision is how deep. I have a set of 9/disc Black wheels on my TT bike that are my everyday wheels. I have no other. I love training on them. HED runs pretty good Black Friday sales, so you will likely see them for well under $1K USD. The Jet 5 are $800. The Jet 6 is $940. The Jet 6/9 combo is $1,100. My hunch is that the deeper wheels will go cheaper by the end of the week.

Look at mybikeshop.com. They usually have the best prices and stellar customer service.

This.
I have HED Jet Plus as my all-the-time wheelset. Love them.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Advice Needed [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that HED Jet Plus' are too wide for that frame: rear tire rub is likely to happen. I wouldn't use nothing wider than 21mm at the brake track (HED's are 25mm)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Advice Needed [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that HED Jet Plus' are too wide for that frame: rear tire rub is likely to happen. I wouldn't use nothing wider than 21mm at the brake track (HED's are 25mm)

If that’s the case, I would sell the frame and start over 😄

Won’t run a wheel narrower than 20mm internal width anymore
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The MBS pop-up ad on my page has Jet 5+ for $799 and $1099 for Jet 6/9 combos. Nearly impossible to do better than either one of those wheel sets.
Quote Reply