Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara?
Quote | Reply
Burning through Kinvaras way to fast. What's a good substitute for training runs. Tried the freedoms but kept getting horrible calf cramps.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a pair of Hoka Cavu. It replaced the Kinvara for me last year. It’s a pretty normal looking shoe for a Hoka also. Reviews are mixed on it but I think that’s people that expected it to be like most Hokas. It fills all the roles the Kinvara used to for me. I got a lot of miles out of it last year also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics Dynaflite, NB Zante, Nike Pegasus Turbo, Nike Zoom Fly?

Are you wanting to keep the same drop or flexible?
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
Asics Dynaflite, NB Zante, Nike Pegasus Turbo, Nike Zoom Fly?

Are you wanting to keep the same drop or flexible?

Would like to stay as close to the Kinvaras as possible. I still plan to race in the Kinvara I just am tired of going through so many pairs a yr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you say stay as close to Kinvaras as possible, what do you mean? Same brand? or 4m drop? I really like the Saucony Ride. Neutral, super comfy, 8m drop.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [ponderingfox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ponderingfox wrote:
When you say stay as close to Kinvaras as possible, what do you mean? Same brand? or 4m drop? I really like the Saucony Ride. Neutral, super comfy, 8m drop.

All the way around.
Drop
Neutral
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm in sort of the same boat, but have just decided to keep buying kinvaras whenever they're cheap. i've bought several pairs of them for really good prices, particularly since i don't care about model year or colour. i've got a few really hideous pairs waiting for me in the basement, but at $40 i'll happily run in clown shoes.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
Try a pair of Hoka Cavu. It replaced the Kinvara for me last year. It’s a pretty normal looking shoe for a Hoka also. Reviews are mixed on it but I think that’s people that expected it to be like most Hokas. It fills all the roles the Kinvara used to for me. I got a lot of miles out of it last year also.

i agree. i ran in kinvaras for years, decided to mix it up and get the cavu last year. i like it a great deal. i will say, i went to a store and tried on the cavu 2 a few days ago, and i straight up hated it.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do u get ur Kinvaras? Amazon?
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed completely! I want from Kinvara to the original Cavu and love it. When that pair wore out, I got the Cavu 2 which is quite different from the original. I hate them. My questions is: why doesn't Hoka just leave well enough alone and they have to make these changes? Same question for Saucony too, the new Everun stuff is just bad bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am alternating my Kinvara's with some Pegasus 35 Turbos. I have a rather large stockpile of Kinvara's at home which will probably last me through the next 2 seasons at this rate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through the same problem. Used to go through Kinvaras every 2 months. Used to buy them in last year's model, but still not great at $70-80 every 2 months.

A less popular brand, Salming makes very durable shoes. Not going to hide it, I am a brand ambassador, but only because I enjoy their shoes and the durability. The Men's Speed 7's are very similar to the Kinvaras for me. I had to go a half size down and I thats true for more people i talk to. Very durable and light shoe. Will initially feel more "stiff" in the upper that the Kinvaras, but it adds to the durability.

Send me a message for a discount code.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a pair of kinvara for around $50 on active gearup. I also have a pair of freedom iso by saucony. It’s a much better shoe in my opinion. I’ve got around 600 miles on mine and just retired them. I picked them up on active gearup for around $60.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you guys had to pick between the original cavu or the latest generation of the Clifton which way would you go.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Running Warehouse still has the original Cavu for < $70 a pair.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There seem to be enough industry people about here you'd think someone would have an insight. I'd of thought a shoe company could differentiate themselves by having some kind of commitment to a model of shoe. Like maybe release an update alongside the current model and having some process that lets the runners decide if it's an improvement. Or just sell them at the same price and go by the sales figures.

Companies seem to get lost in their own product cycles rather than make common sense, customer lead decisions. To be honest a lot of reviewers don't really help. They have their own criteria that doesn't seem applicable to most runners, for me a trainer is either a racer or a trainer and the latter is more important. The trainer can be heavier if that makes it more comfortable and more durable. But weight is an easy number to compare so some reviewers up the pressure to make them lighter. I think the 2 is a fair bit lighter than the original, no idea if that contributed in some way to why people here don't like it.

My Conquests are going to fall apart eventually but they lasted better than any shoe I can remember. If they still made them I'd still buy lots.

Sorry for the rant. I really logged on to say the original Cavu is at a good price at running warehouse and in all sizes as far as I can see.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the Kinvara...but I use them for fast training and racing, so they don't wear out as fast for me as the OP. Still, I usully buy year old versions in weird colors. Try RunRepeat - they don't sell shoes, but have a tool to find the lowest prices by model, including closeouts. K9 there right now for $60. Shoebacca is similar and often has killer added discounts by email.

As far as a Kinvara replacement - look at Zoot Solana. The Zoots are discontinued and super inexpensive. I got three pairs of Zoots for something like $105 TOTAL at Shoebacca a month ago, and then used a $20 (?) coupon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven’t tried the latest Clifton but as a Kinvara replacement the Cavy would be much more similar. The Clifton is a lot of shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh...

Maybe I miss the signs that my shoes are wearing out? I tend to put 1000 miles on a pair of Kinvaras before I look at them and think "maybe I should get new ones soon?"

They are the only shoe I run in...
Quote Reply
Re: Whats a good substitute for the Kinvara? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Huh...

Maybe I miss the signs that my shoes are wearing out? I tend to put 1000 miles on a pair of Kinvaras before I look at them and think "maybe I should get new ones soon?"

They are the only shoe I run in...

I start to notice a difference by 100 mies. Maybe your feet just hold up better to the pounding
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would vote for Clifton, as they have almost the same drop as the Kinvara but WAY more cushioning. Be careful with the Clifton 5s, as I've had to go up nearly a whole size as the toe box is totally wonky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Purecadence

4mm drop, for slight overpronation runners

Brooks Pureflow

4mm drop, for a more neutral runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony ISO Freedom

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adidas Boston 7. Beautiful, light, fast, boost, durable (Continental rubber outsole). They are also about the same price as the Kinvaras.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from Kinvara to On Cloudflow. Absolutely love the shoe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next