Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
How did Motobecane go from being a good French bike company to a Bikes Direct exclusive?

That is Bikes Direct's business model. It buys defunct brands, slaps the names on stuff made in China, portrays the brands as still in business, and offers a phony discount for buying through Bikes Direct.
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a few more:

Lynskey
Airstream
Devinci
Cucuma
Vitus
Jamis
Parlee
Dolan
Voss

Again, not saying they are out of business, just not seeing them much anymore. Am I wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my second Lynskey (seen here outside Eugene, OR). Based on the Lynskey Owners' group on Facebook they are doing well all over the world.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vitus has become Chain Reaction's in house brand. A few guys in my club ride (and like) them, but they're essentially open mold frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
Here's a few more:

Lynskey
Airstream
Devinci
Cucuma
Vitus
Jamis
Parlee
Dolan
Voss

Again, not saying they are out of business, just not seeing them much anymore. Am I wrong?

Lynskey, Jamis and Vitus seem to be going strong. Jamis is big in the road and mountain world. Looks like a lack of distribution channels or they are just open molds.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going back to my freestyle days.

Kuwahara! //

Believe it or not, I was sponsored by these guys for a couple years, and they only built BNX bikes! I had a very good friend named Steve Potts and he was a huge dealer for them, and his brother was I believe the first trick rider for them too. He talked them into making some road/tri bikes for me back in the mid 80's, and then they decked me out with a ton of padded clothing. Got a nice little bonus schedule too from them. Wasn't until later on that he told me that they had to stop production to make my few bikes, and they probably lots 100's of their regular bikes because of it. I think I still have one of those old long sleeve jerseys hanging up somewhere, the one with all the pads sewn in. I guess those BMX guys like to crash a lot…(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offense to anyone riding one currently, but I would add Kestrel to this list.

From the Nitro, to the 4000, to 200EMS, to the 500SCi (later EMS), Kestrel was the gold standard for carbon bikes in the early 90's.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aegis was a USA made early aero carbon frame (made in Maine). Went away in 2007 - hard to compete with Chinese wages. My first aero bike. A touch heavy by today's standards, but a very slick and comfortable bike. Here's a picture from 1999 Kona.[/img]
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
How did Motobecane go from being a good French bike company to a Bikes Direct exclusive?

They went bankrupt and the name was sold off, probably for pittance. The bikesdirect bikes have literally nothing at all to do with the former company other than the sticker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I get any credit for having a Yaqui? Circa 2001, love it still, use it mostly for training rides and on the trainer though. Ves Mandaric was more of a pioneer than many people realize.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
Here's a few more:

Lynskey
Airstream
Devinci
Cucuma
Vitus
Jamis
Parlee
Dolan
Voss

Why is Devinci on this list? They're doing fine - they don't do much on the tri side, but they are doing very well on the hybrid, MTB and road side of things...
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:
Here's a few more:

Lynskey
Airstream
Devinci
Cucuma
Vitus
Jamis
Parlee
Dolan
Voss

Why is Devinci on this list? They're doing fine - they don't do much on the tri side, but they are doing very well on the hybrid, MTB and road side of things...

Ok, I'm not perfect. You are right, they seem to be ok, just not on the Tri side. I stand corrected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
Do I get any credit for having a Yaqui? Circa 2001, love it still, use it mostly for training rides and on the trainer though. Ves Mandaric was more of a pioneer than many people realize.

I still race in my 2005 Yaqui. Custom built and fits like a glove!
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of Kestrel, here's my 1991-ish 200SC. It has Ultegra 600 components, Campy Omega clinchers, a suede Selle Italia Turbo saddle and TTT stem and bars. The only thing not original are the chain, the Continental Gatorskin tires, and the somewhat recent Cinelli cork ribbon on the bars. It still rides great. I don't race it or anything, but I take it for a spin now and then.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuota actually has a really nice looking new KT05 check it out
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still riding a post Trek, Chiallis Wa. Klein as my road bike. Sorry that Trek killed them off. Trek continued to sell Kleins in Japan until about 2012. (Don't know why they were popular in Japan). Other flashbacks, Motobecane, Ross, Dawes, Gitane and Windsor were all bought (in name only) by Bikes Direct and are used as "brands" on their budget priced Chinese imports. Wife rides a "Motobecane" 29er I got her last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The front page features an article about a new Lynskey tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

And don't forget Hooker, who made the most aero bikes around in the mid-90's.
Last edited by: nightfend: Oct 6, 15 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Front disk wheel outdoors? Yikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll throw Centurion onto that list. My first "tri" bike was the Lemans RS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Softride had huge sales in the early 90s? But when double diamond frames were mandated at uci races, their sales went way south. Seems like their business was sized and run for those huge numbers, they said they would sell their business but I guess no one could come to a good price on it. Shame, I'd like to see where they would be with 10 years of development on their designs. Hell, even still having the same designs, or at the very least somebody making spare beams in their garage!

Titanflex still seems to be doing OK, I ride one and like it. I think the company us just a few people, they seem like good folks, very easy to work with.
Quote Reply

Prev Next