Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What would you do - tire failure?
Quote | Reply
Tire failure. Scenario: You are out in the wilderness ( fairly new tire, on a regular paved road) on a 75 mile bike ride, little traveled road, no stores, few bikers (if you did see a biker, they would not have an extra tire), you are out of cell phone service ( and you don't want to call you wife for a rescue ride anyhow) . In the middle of your ride, you run over a pot hole/sharp road edge (or something) causing part of the bead of the tire to separate from the edge of the tire. The more you ride and change/pop tubes the bead rips out more and more. You (and passing riders) are out of extra tubes. You try the "old , stick a dollar bill in the tire" trick, but the tubes are not held back enough and the tire "unseats" more and more, not wanting to stay on the rim. You have no duck tape.
How do you get back to home/civilization? What trick would you use? The old , stuff it with pine needles trick (even though there are no pine needles around). ? ideas? sorry the pic is out of focus, tire is turned inside out for the pic. I hope you get the idea.

Quote Reply
Re: What would you do - tire failure? [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bead has blown off. Packing it with something solid like leaves might get you down the road & protect your rim but I would say you are SOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of mountain bikers carry zip ties. They have lots of uses in an emergency. In this case you might be able to zip tie the tire to the rim and get enough rim protection to ride slowly for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was zble to ride 10 miles slowly on a sliced rear tire (blew 2 tubes, tried the dollar, etc) just going very slowly so the wheel was crushing the flat. Made it to a bike shop where I bought a tube and tire and then continued another ~16 miles home. But I didn't lose the bead, thus no wheel damage. Maybe put the front tube/tire on the rear where most of your weight sits??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep a race number folded up in a zip lock with my phone. Like stated by huffnstuff move the tire to the front for less pressure. Then fold the race number in half. Then wrap it around the tube. And go.
Quote Reply