Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman?
Quote | Reply
I think given the field if he can come top 4, it's a success for his first outing.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How exactly would that be a success? The field is hardly stacked...

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
I think given the field if he can come top 4, it's a success for his first outing.

Success from whose perspective? If you think Alistair Brownlee would be satisfied with this outcome, well, I don't think you studied the guy quite enough!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep - ali being the man he is, he's racing for the win every single time.

but from the pundit's point of view, i think how the day goes for him would be more important. how do his splits break down? what's he eating/wearing/etc? are there any clues to be taken from his body language? etc etc.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also possible that he could win, and still not be particularly happy with the performance/execution.

I think he really wants to learn a little about long distance and to work out when his assault on Kona will be.

Best case is the thought that a) he has a shot in Oct 19 and can take the shot without harming Tokyo 20 chances and b) it's feasible in Oct 20 after Tokyo.

Acceptable is the thought that he can win Kona sometime but really needs to commit full time, and that means Oct 21 if he wants to compete in Tokyo.

Worst is finding out that the distance doesn't suit him at all and matching Jan's Olympic Gold/KOna double is very unlikely.

Nightmare is crocking himself for the year.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he could finish in front of Gomez.
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I think there is a very good chance that he will finish in front of Gomez in Cork.
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the Mpro start list (from IM Cork website)

1 Brownlee Alistair GBR (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
2 Del Corral Victor ESP (Spain)
3 Vanhoenacker Marino BEL (Belgium)
4 Graves Philip GBR (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
5 Metzler Justin USA (United States of America)
6 McCrystal Bryan IRL (Ireland)
7 Thomschke Markus DEU (Germany)
8 Bosch Thomas DEU (Germany)
9 Drake Robert GBR (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
10 Feigh Adam USA (United States of America)
11 Fitzner Rasmus DNK (Denmark)
12 Guilloux Arnaud FRA (France)
13 Hovgaard Esben DNK (Denmark)
14 Amorelli Igor BRA (Brazil)
15 Bach Elliot USA (United States of America)
16 Kalashnikov Ivan RUS (Russian Federation)
17 Kerin Lachlan AUS (Australia)
18 Mintern Chris IRL (Ireland)
19 Odeyn Seppe BEL (Belgium)
20 Overmars Steff NLD (Netherlands)
21 Pictor Sam GBR (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
22 Redmond Ger IRL (Ireland)
23 Schramm Till DEU (Germany)
24 Jurkiewicz Jeremy FRA (France)
25 McMahon Brent CAN (Canada)
26 Wiltshire Harry GBR (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I smile every time I see 'Ivan Kalashnikov - Russia' on a start list....
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that was my point.
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:

Nightmare is crocking himself for the year....

sadly, given his history, there's a non-zero chance of this happening too. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alistair only races for one spot in anything he does. You are asking what he would consider a pass mark for his first attempt? Crushing defeat. Nothing else would satisfy his appetite.

If him and Johnny both end up racing long distance after the next Olympic cycle I bet they don't end up racing each other so much, for no other reason than Ali would not accept being beaten by his brother. Guy's as focused as they come. Death before DNF and all that - its the reason he has put himself in so much trouble with injuries over the last few years.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think that Alistair would shy away from competition, you don’t know him at all

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
How exactly would that be a success? The field is hardly stacked...

I assume he means Kona.

If you mean IM Cork - an easy win leading pretty much start to end would be a pass.
Kona - be a contender.
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I think there is a very good chance that he will finish in front of Gomez in Cork.

I think quite the opposite is true.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

Swim on McMahon’s toes, come out of the water 49-52 min easy but where you want.

Ride first 40-60 km in the group, looking around taking stock. Push the last 2/3 so you have 3-4 minutes in the bank to fast runners...maybe only loosing 2 minutes to surf.

Catch wurf by 10-15 km for the lead....stay there until 38 km....no matter how good you feel, little push at 38 km so you have 1-2 minutes Insurance. Win.

I think anything faster would be a failure.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

knighty76 wrote:

flogazo wrote:

I can't even see Javier Gomez on the start list.

mauricemaher wrote:
Catch wurf by 10-15 km for the lead....stay there until 38 km....no matter how good you feel, little push at 38 km so you have 1-2 minutes Insurance. Win. I think anything faster would be a failure. Maurice

I can't even see Wurf on the start list.

The question was What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pass mark would be podium, but finishing very close to anyone in front of him. I expect him to win comfortably.
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

If Gomez can get away with drafting like he's done the last few IM and 70.3s he's done then possibly. But he's well overdue a drafting penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 15 ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little more familiar with ITU pros than the long course guys, but several on that list are folks I've heard of. I assume Cork is cooler than Kona, so you can't write of Marino. And McMahon has gone sub-8, so he isn't chopped liver. Not as sure about strengths with Del Corral and Amorelli,but I've at least seen them places.

I'd pick Ali to win, but it isn't a total list of nobodies.

Not going to make a Wiltshire joke.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at tri Ratings i cant see him finishing outside of the top 3-4
https://www.trirating.com/...-june-23rd-seedings/

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: What would Ali Brownlee consider a pass mark with first attempt at Ironman? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you show any evidence of what you are saying? Or is this just hearsay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Looking at tri Ratings i cant see him finishing outside of the top 3-4
https://www.trirating.com/...-june-23rd-seedings/

AB doesn't like not winning but I'm struggling to understand how you can train for an IM and ITU at the same time. I suspect he will be near the front coming out of T2 then see where the chips fall during the run. What does he has to do to get his ticket for Kona? If he does well at Leeds will he treat this as a long training day and focus on the tokyo test event? Just seen that it 16/19 Aug so I can't see an someone preparing for both? Unless the Kona training starts after Aug?
Quote Reply

Prev Next