Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation?
Quote | Reply
We have St. George and Coeur d'Alene. What's the next one? Will they stick with that region? If so my guess is Whistler. Maybe Beach-to-Battleship if they want a former venue that still has a 70.3 and is not on the left side of the continent.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason I thought it might be IM Boulder. I just asked about it on another post. I don't want to start rumors :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
We have St. George and Coeur d'Alene. What's the next one? Will they stick with that region? If so my guess is Whistler. Maybe Beach-to-Battleship if they want a former venue that still has a 70.3 and is not on the left side of the continent.

I hope it's not Beach to Battleship. Not a fan.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
For some reason I thought it might be IM Boulder. I just asked about it on another post. I don't want to start rumors :-)
this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I doubt B2B because I understand that it will be a Pacific NW location.

I doubt Whistler because I understand the new contract with Penticton doesn't allow it.

Maybe Lake Tahoe?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Whistler back in July and it seemed very definite that it was the last full IM event there. Would be nice if the 70.3 came back.

I would love for it to be Tahoe. But I'd do Boulder as well. Just have to be ready for the elevation factor.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XXL wildflower?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m guessing it will be somewhere that has already hosted an Ironman race (Boulder, Tahoe, or Santa Rosa or Whistler). But I wouldn’t mind seeing a brand new location. Maybe somewhere in Oregon like Bend?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When this whole thing was announced with St.G, I bet on CdA (bing!) and Boulder. But I am less confident on Boulder, I think it would make sense but I would also rather see a new venue too.

ETA: No B2B, I think it was announced this rotation was relegated to the west coast. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they spread this rotational thing around to the east coast too.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Last edited by: hadukla: Oct 16, 19 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last night at the CDA city council meeting, the third race was not announced but said it would be in the “Pacific North West”. Even though it’s not in the PNW, I think Tahoe will be brought back.

I don’t post enough so my opinions must be considered spam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't the eastern 4/5ths of the continent get a little love at least once every three years?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they are saying it will be in the PNW, I don't think it will be Whistler, it is just too close.
I have heard rumors about a Lake Stevens 140.6 but I dont know how that would work. Have also heard that they made Victoria a 1 loop bike course so they could do a two loop Ironman.
I agree though, Tahoe seems likely (though I don't call that PNW)
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really hope Boulder. Especially since it was canceled with 1 year left in the contract....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
I did Whistler back in July and it seemed very definite that it was the last full IM event there. Would be nice if the 70.3 came back.

I would love for it to be Tahoe. But I'd do Boulder as well. Just have to be ready for the elevation factor.

Add me to the list of those with fingers crossed for Tahoe to come back.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a strong feeling it’s Boulder. Both other places switched to a 70.3 because their participants kept declining. The 2 years 70.3 and 1 full seems to be the format they are after and Lake Tahoe doesn’t fit that as they don’t have a 70.3 the other 2 years. Boulder much like CdA and StG had great courses, strong local support and people loved them. They just lost numbers due to the trend of people favouring the easy courses.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
I have a strong feeling it’s Boulder. Both other places switched to a 70.3 because their participants kept declining. The 2 years 70.3 and 1 full seems to be the format they are after and Lake Tahoe doesn’t fit that as they don’t have a 70.3 the other 2 years. Boulder much like CdA and StG had great courses, strong local support and people loved them. They just lost numbers due to the trend of people favouring the easy courses.

But Lake Tahoe did have 140.6 & 70.3 on the same day at least once.....

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea but Lake Tahoe doesn't already have an established race presently. Its only a sample of 2 so it could be anywhere but the other places are for sure going to have races in 2020, 2021 etc so its simply switching out a 70.3 for a 140.6.

Further Boulder, StG and CdA were cancelled due to not enough athlete participation which one could argue would increase if the option was only around 1 out of every 3 years. IM cancelled Lake Tahoe due to weather being very difficult to deal with as not only could the weather be one extreme or the other but also the race was always going to be threatened by the horrible California wildfires.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
yea but Lake Tahoe doesn't already have an established race presently. Its only a sample of 2 so it could be anywhere but the other places are for sure going to have races in 2020, 2021 etc so its simply switching out a 70.3 for a 140.6.

Further Boulder, StG and CdA were cancelled due to not enough athlete participation which one could argue would increase if the option was only around 1 out of every 3 years. IM cancelled Lake Tahoe due to weather being very difficult to deal with as not only could the weather be one extreme or the other but also the race was always going to be threatened by the horrible California wildfires.

I completely agree with the logic for Boulder but my heart is still saying Tahoe...
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same with me. I entered the sport after Lake Tahoe was already cancelled but I would sign up for the race in a second if it came to fruition. Maybe they could do it by switching the date to late June around the time of CdA...It would solve the wildfire issue and the weather should be pretty consistent around then rather than in September.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Couldn't the eastern 4/5ths of the continent get a little love at least once every three years?

Well Ironman did announce a new yearly race in Tulsa just 6 months ago. Keeping all three venues in the rotating ‘series’ in the Western half of the continent makes sense when you look at the current lineup. Using Lebanon, KS as the spit from east to west...

Western NA 4 races per year
Penticton
Santa Rosa
Arizona
St George/Coeur D Alene/???

Eastern NA 10 races per year
Texas
Tulsa
Louisville
Chattanooga
Maryland
Florida
Lake Placid
Wisconsin
Mont Tremblant
Cozumel

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Oct 16, 19 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder 2022.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love for a third race in PNW!!

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [CDAtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to add to the speculation. The city I live in (PNW - Maple Valley, WA) is currently negotiating a contract with Ironman. Current status has a 70.3 taking place Sept 2020, which would align with it being a 140.6 in 2022 after two 70.3 races (similar to STG and CDA). I know Ironman has looked at our city for a 140.6 race in the past based on city reports from our city manager. Or they have at least scouted the area for a potential race...

I hope it is true...

https://www.maplevalleywa.gov/...ervices/city-manager
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [GeorgeCarlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. That would put a 70.3 at the same time as the Black Diamond tri which has a half distance and is just 20 minutes away. I did that race a few years back. The roads are so smooth in that area, felt like I gained a mph from less rolling resistance

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: What will be the third race venue for the Ironman three-year rotation? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn’t WTC (aka Ironman) have a track record of putting other 70.3 races out of business....?

I think RTB (the company who puts on the Black Diamond 70.3) would be welcoming to an M-Dot branded race especially if it brings a 140.6 race to a region who is desperate for summer time triathlon activities.
Quote Reply

Prev Next