Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What wheel - road bike for a change!
Quote | Reply
Hi

I've been using a set of Mavic Krysium Elites on my road bike (Canyon Ultimate SL) for about 4 years. After lots of riding in wet weather on poor roads and not keeping the brake pads clean, the brake tracks are pretty well worn. Besides, I'd like a wider rim!

Got any suggestions for a medium priced (say €400-€700) set of wheels?
I'd love to go for a set of HED Jet4 Black but that's a bit more than I want to spend!

Priorities:
  • 19mm+ inner width
  • Alloy brake tracks
  • Preferably 30-50mm rim depth
  • Easily obtained replacement spokes
  • Black coated brake track would be nice but unlikely at this price?

Quote Reply
Re: What wheel - road bike for a change! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you want an aluminum brake track, something built around the AForce Al33 is a good option. CXray and white industries hubs will be towards the top of your price range. Bitex and lasers towards the lower end. Boyd Altamont is another good choice in the aluminum world, or Flo30 but it's kind of heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a set of used Dura Ace C-50's here in the ST classifieds and I love 'em. Hubs are smooth as butter and they're stiff enough that my fat ass can't flex them laterally when climbing out of the saddle. They do have an Al brake track (silver) and a nice aero profile, round spokes (so, easily replaceable) - not sure about the width, but they do check all of the other boxes. I paid $350 US, so they should be around your range if you can find a used set.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: What wheel - road bike for a change! [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I think C50s are a bit narrow for my liking (17mm internal rim width?) and they are in the same sort of price range as the HED Black Jet 4 which I would probably get in preference if going that route and getting second hand.
Quote Reply
Re: What wheel - road bike for a change! [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobra_kai wrote:
Assuming you want an aluminum brake track, something built around the AForce Al33 is a good option. CXray and white industries hubs will be towards the top of your price range. Bitex and lasers towards the lower end. Boyd Altamont is another good choice in the aluminum world, or Flo30 but it's kind of heavy.
Thanks for the leads! I'd forgotten about the Al33, I remember looking at them last year and thinking they looked like a good rim for future wheels. That also reminded me of the Kinlin XR31T which looks similarly promising and the H Plus Son Archetype rim which would make a good cheaper alternative if I was willing to go with a shallow rim. That gives me something to think about.
I've heard of Boyd but don't know much about them, I'll take a look at the Altamonts.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With aluminum brake track, your options are kind of limited... You might be able to get a set of HED Jet4 used if you're willing to be patient and constantly on the outlook for them.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built a disc wheelset with the off center XR31 rims. I was impressed with the rims and the whole build was only about $350, but I used bitex hubs and sapim race spokes which you might want to upgrade on.

I think the altamonts are supposed to be pretty similar to the Aforce rims, I read somewhere recently that they're made at the same factory.
Last edited by: cobra_kai: Aug 1, 18 9:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my HED Ardennes, think I got mine for $900 USD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the swisside 625 with alu braking was a killer wheel but i dont think they make them anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: What wheel - road bike for a change! [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already have a set of the alloy rim Swiss Side Hadrons on on my tribike. 625 on the front and 800+ on the rear. I agree, they're very nice wheels, although they cost me about €1000 and that was with about €300 off for Black Friday in 2015. It's more than I planned to spend on my road bike. I actually checked the Swiss Side site yesterday to see what they're currently offering as I remember they used to sell a bunch of other shallower wheels besides the Hadron range but it seems they've dropped everything else now and are only selling the full carbon Hadrons in two versions and 3 sizes.

I think I'm leaning towards an AL33 or XR31T based wheel. The're both as aerodynamic as you'll get with a shallow rim, reasonable weight, and can be got in a decent built at the upper end of my budget. The AL33 is a little nicer looking and that tiny bit wider (19.6mm I think) but the XR31T is a bit cheaper, Hmmmmm.
Quote Reply
Re: What wheel - road bike for a change! [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ardennes do look lovely, especially the Blacks but even the normal ones are a bit steep! Plus I don't see an advantage over something with a AL33 or XR31T rim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hunt wheels in the UK get great reviews for their wheels rocking the XR31T rims. CyclingDivisions Cero 30's also get great reviews using the Alexarim Pro30 rims.
Quote Reply