Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Yep, nothing that extra money can be proved to increase wages ...

Not true

h2ofun wrote:
Bottom line, some of the best folks I hired either had no college degrees, and had the wrong ones from the wrong schools.

I have no doubt. Plenty of smart,qualified people out there who did not attend college or didn't attend the top colleges.

h2ofun wrote:
I never looked at hiring folks because of the college they went to. I looked at things like did they work while going to school. And if I knew they had lots of debt, well, ...

I won't go as far as to say you are alone in that regard, but as shocking as it may sound to you, the college/university that you attend plays a major factor in the job(s) you are able to obtain after graduating--and for the rest of your life. Since I have experienced that hiring preference first-hand, it is something that I plan to emphasize for my children.

For a lot of folks who are into that ego stuff, I agree. But yep, I was a unique manager, surprised? I found the best folks, and could care less about if they had a degree or what type.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

For a lot of folks who are into that ego stuff, I agree. But yep, I was a unique manager, surprised? I found the best folks, and could care less about if they had a degree or what type.

We are done here. I don't know why I bother, but I did. I'm talking about the hiring managers, not the candidates. So, it has nothing to do with ego. The hiring managers care about the college/university the candidate attended. No, it is surprising one bit that you would go against the grain. And, some others would too. But, my point is that the VAST majority of hiring managers will care.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Dec 18, 17 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
Getting back on topic our race was up last year and trending higher (earlier sell-out) this year. I find Triathlon went to far in the "experience/finisher" sector to try and reel in more participants.
We like to offer a race over an event. It is a race for everyone from front to back. We have low(ish) fees, prize money but more importantly focus on the event itself.

Our racks our reserved. First 20 spots are ranked by ability then remaining spots are by age from youngest to oldest so age groups are clumped together. Transition is fair for everyone. Everyone has a shot at prize money. #7 in ITU this year won our race in 2015. She was racing an IM Pro and some top level age groupers as well as everyone else in the field. All got the same treatment.

Thanks for focusing back on the original question and giving your perspective.....I would appreciate hearing others who pay attention to participation numbers in their areas.....and people can offer their perceptions behind the numbers and why they are up and down and if we are going to level off......I would also appreciate others ignoring the usual actor that derails threads. My personal policy is never to respond to a certain poster.
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Bryan D stated, here in NC some of the race companies have dropped races. Our area (NC) used to be a hot bed for triathlon, but now is down for sure. Hell there is talks that IM 70.3 NC may be cancelled.....why....money. Which is really annoying because the original B2B was affordable and worked "with" the community. So if communities want to play more hardball with an company like WTC and make them walk, I get it.

HS aged athletes have grown a ton in NC, new team out of triad E3 has increased a lot of numbers there.

ETA: I think locally the "classic" events are growing strong, what we are seeing is the races that are only a few years old seem to be struggle. Probaly NC's best race besides 70.3 Raleigh, would be Lake Logan race weekend.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 18, 17 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was interested in this new SwimRun in Minnesota...(ironically I had mentioned this area as a fantastic place for a Swimrun in a thread at one point months ago....)

BUT...it was $400 for a 2 person team at the cheapest rate and was turned off....what are others thoughts about the price for this event??

https://www.igniteswimrun.com/minnesota

....I assume this is one part of causing participation numbers eroding....here is an event I would be interested in but immediately turned off by the price....and I could afford to pay it....no problem....but just couldn't justify it....
Last edited by: Steve-oH!: Dec 18, 17 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miamiamy wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
That's why the millennials are key in all this, but the news on them in this thread, and what they are into, is NOT encouraging.

-------------

Read your long paragraph opening sentence and you'll kinda see why it's more triathlon now is having some egg on it's own face, and scrambling to fix it.

eta: we became a sport for almost exclusively wealthy people.

And those wealthy people are starting to not see the cost/benefit of racing. I could easily pay for racing 10-15 Tris a year. But when you look st the cost of an sprint where I am hovering around $85-100, I start being hard pressed to want to do that.

Went they were 40-50, for an hour issue of racing it seems like a good deal. Double that, not so much for a lot of people.

^^^^^ I think this is the answer. I think free and almost free events are still seeing growth. We have a free run club in town that can get hundreds of people to show up for a mid-week evening run.

If you can figure out how to promote and offer a reasonably priced race people are happy to participate. But at least near me there is a limited number of people willing to pay $100 for a sprint triathlon.

There is a local group here that organizes free outdoor run group training.
It's not sponsored, you don't get marketed to, you just show up and someone explains the workout and everyone goes for it.
It's MASSIVELY popular, and putting all those personal trainers and expensive clinics out of business.

Personal anecdote about race organizing: I organize gravel and road rides.
For me to turn one of those into an event, instantly puts me at starting expenses of a minimum $3000. Insurance, medical, timing, aid stations.
For an event with any frills at all, I'm looking at $5000+
For a big experience event, double that and up.
Putting on a multisport event has similar costs or more.

The complexity of multisport and bureaucracy creates a lot of incentives against putting on events, and leaving only expensive events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as I enjoy what now looks to be the annual ā€œblame millenials for the sportā€™s (assumed) declineā€ thread, I had some thoughts on this.

Perceived Startup Cost:

Swim
Pool Membership $50/mo
Masters Membership $30/mo
Goggles $50/yr
Speedos $100
Wetsuit $500+

Bike
Bike $4,000+
Race wheels $2,000
Shoes $150
Power Meter $1,000
Trainer $1,000+
Training Platform $100-$200
Clothing $500

Run
Training Shoes $500 (1 pair a quarter)
Racing flats $100+
Training clothing $200+

Misc.
USAT License $45
Coach $1,000+
Team $30+
Nutrition $2,000
GPS watch, bike computer, etc $1,000

Thatā€™s before you get to the opportunity cost of 10+hrs a week of training. Then you have to pay for your races.

We all know that entry into the sport costs less than this, and these things are accumulated over time. That said, anyone who counts that cost before beginning the hobby would easily be convinced to try something else. Weā€™re already talking about a small subsection of culture that finds endurance sports interesting. We are the sportā€™s worst enemy. Not millenials.

-a nearly millenialā€™s perspective (born Feb ā€˜84)
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

We are done here. I don't know why I bother, but I did. I'm talking about the hiring managers, not the candidates. So, it has nothing to do with ego. The hiring managers care about the college/university the candidate attended. No, it is surprising one bit that you would go against the grain. And, some others would too. But, my point is that the VAST majority of hiring managers will care.

Yep, I was a hiring manager for 20 years. Had more women engineers than any other manager. Had tons of folks I hired end up in very top positions in various companies.
But I agreed with you, the VAST did care about a title rather than a persons ability. And yep, this allowed me to get some very very top talent with the wrong piece of papers.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Stephensjer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You literally need half of that and almost all of it you can get for 1/2 to 1/4 of that cost you put in.

Can equipment be stupidly expensive, sure, but you donā€™t need it.
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
You literally need half of that and almost all of it you can get for 1/2 to 1/4 of that cost you put in.

I agree....but do you think potential new Triathletes know that?
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:

So very true. I started up with the sport two years ago and my total expenses are significantly less. Still, when I work to draw friends in to participate with me, the cost is hard to overcome.

I just did the math on my year and a half in the sport, and Iā€™m into it for about $5,500, and I already owned a nice road bike. It adds up really fast.

I know half of the active people on this forum have a product to sell, but a sticky of how to get started in the sport without taking out a second mortgage may be helpful?
Last edited by: Stephensjer: Dec 18, 17 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

------------

I'd be curious if they make people sign waivers or not (acknowledging the risk). Or if it truly is just a "show up and run" setup.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 18, 17 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Stephensjer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know half of the active people on this forum have a product to sell, but a sticky of how to get started in the sport without taking out a second mortgage may be helpful?

Ok try this, my comments in red on your "perceived cost"....

Perceived Startup Cost:

Swim
Pool Membership $50/mo ....fair cost
Masters Membership $30/mo....fair cost
Goggles $50/yr...i'd give cost that over 2 years and including backup
Speedos $100.....i'd wager that is a cost over 2 year average)
Wetsuit $500+ .....you can give a full sleeved for under $300
(so i saved you about $275)

Bike
Bike $4,000+ (buy a Cervelo/Felt/BMC for $3k tops)
Race wheels $2,000 (rent them for your A race, ~$200 dollars at most)
Shoes $150 ....fair cost
Power Meter $1,000.....single sided crank based for less than $700-garmin
Trainer $1,000+......you can get a solid trainer for under $400 and wont wear your tire out
Training Platform $100-$200
Clothing $500
(just saved you ~$3000)

Run
Training Shoes $500 (1 pair a quarter)
Racing flats $100+
Training clothing $200+

Misc.
USAT License $45
Coach $1,000+.....you can find free training programs online
Team $30+
Nutrition $2,000
GPS watch, bike computer, etc $1,000

I think some of your figures are slightly "expensive", as you can easily get "quality" name brand equipment much cheaper than quoted. But then it's what do you want out of this sport? Want to go as fast as you can, then sure you'll need some items, but you can certainly race fast and well without a $4k bike and race wheels.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm 30. eSports is absolutely HUGE amongst people my age and younger and I think people older than me vastly underestimate just how big eSports have (has?) become.

eSports = oxymoron

It might not be a sport in that there's no physical exertion but the skill/talent/teamwork level involved is off the charts.

Agreed. I've been building PCs and being a PC gamer since 2003. The skill level and team work required to win those tournaments is crazy. People think it's just a video game. It's not, it's so much more than that.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like Iā€™m derailing the thread now, so sorry to the OP.

Your red numbers are totally valid, but they still add up to to around $10k. Like I said earlier, my real world startup costs are in the $5k range, and Iā€™ve tried to stay pretty cheap (self coached, inexpensive bulk buys for nutrition, eBay purchases etc). My costs DO include races and local travel (fuel/campground).

However, my point is perceived cost. Someone new to the sport is going to look at an Ironman entry fee and immediately balk. If they have a friend who participates, they may find a YMCA try a tri and give it a shot. But then theyā€™ll run into the world of forums and podcasts and potentially decide they had a great one time experience and try something else.
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The runologie run club does this and the Sir Walter group has pop up miles and XC races they will organize that are all free. The only triathlon specific event like this I saw was through that store Trilife. They had a strava group but would put on these throw-down events around Jordan I think. I had messaged one to see if they actually had folks attend, but no response. Also a quick google shows they are no longer in business. . .

I have been looking for tri clubs that may do things like this, but they seem pretty few and far between compared to the running scene in Raleigh.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

------------

I'd be curious if they make people sign waivers or not (acknowledging the risk). Or if it truly is just a "show up and run" setup.

Yup. One time waiver.
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago tri life (now out of business) had free tri and duathlons like Once a quarter. You had to sign waivers for those events and they even gave away top 3 prizes. For them it was a way to try and grow customer base for their tri store.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stephensjer wrote:

Your red numbers are totally valid, but they still add up to to around $10k. Like I said earlier, my real world startup costs are in the $5k range, and Iā€™ve tried to stay pretty cheap (self coached, inexpensive bulk buys for nutrition, eBay purchases etc). My costs DO include races and local travel (fuel/campground).

However, my point is perceived cost. Someone new to the sport is going to look at an Ironman entry fee and immediately balk. If they have a friend who participates, they may find a YMCA try a tri and give it a shot. But then theyā€™ll run into the world of forums and podcasts and potentially decide they had a great one time experience and try something else.

One would hope that someone new to the sport would start off with sprint triathlons and take a few years climbing the ladder to get to an Ironman. I know there are some that go straight to the big event; but that reminds me of folks whose first running race is a marathon. Stupid is as stupid does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotcha, they must have been out of business once I discovered them. I will ask Pat if they require waivers for the pop-up miles and XC stuff. The Runologie training may be the same way then. I know they offer a coached 1/2 marathon group program for pretty cheap, but they also offer a free program that just says to show up on wednesdays.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the decline will continue. I think triathlon participation in the U.S. has peaked, but I think triathlon as we've known it in the U.S. since the mid 1980s will continue for least another 15 years. Who will be the Dan Empfield of U.S. triathlon in 20 years? (Sorry Slowman if I'm putting you out to pasture too soon).

As we all know, competing in triathlons isn't the only way to enjoy SBR. I work at a university and I still see a lot of young people running around campus and working out in the rec center.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 18, 17 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Stephensjer wrote:

One would hope that someone new to the sport would start off with sprint triathlons and take a few years climbing the ladder to get to an Ironman. I know there are some that go straight to the big event; but that reminds me of folks whose first running race is a marathon. Stupid is as stupid does.

Yes, we would hope people would know that. I also know that when I tell someone I did a triathlon over the weekend, their eyes bug out and they say, ā€œthat thing in Hawaii?ā€™

Itā€™s a niche sport in an already small niche.
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm 30. eSports is absolutely HUGE amongst people my age and younger and I think people older than me vastly underestimate just how big eSports have (has?) become.

eSports = oxymoron

It might not be a sport in that there's no physical exertion but the skill/talent/teamwork level involved is off the charts.

Agreed. I've been building PCs and being a PC gamer since 2003. The skill level and team work required to win those tournaments is crazy. People think it's just a video game. It's not, it's so much more than that.

You really do have to be a gamer to understand just how unworldly the pros are.... similarly, you'd have to be a triathlete to appreciate how insane the S/B/R times are of some of the pros. If you told someone random on the streets that Patrick Lange ran a 2:39 at Kona last year they'd say "so what?"
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I think the decline will continue. I think triathlon participation in the U.S. has peaked, but I think triathlon as we've known it in the U.S. since the mid 1980s will continue for least another 15 years. Who will be the Dan Empfield of U.S. triathlon in 20 years?

What happens after 15 years? No more Ironman? ITU disbands? Marathon participation falls so low that Boston and NYC close their doors? And we end up with only a choice between color runs and eSport?
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I think the decline will continue. I think triathlon participation in the U.S. has peaked, but I think triathlon as we've known it in the U.S. since the mid 1980s will continue for least another 15 years. Who will be the Dan Empfield of U.S. triathlon in 20 years?

What happens after 15 years? No more Ironman? ITU disbands? Marathon participation falls so low that Boston and NYC close their doors? And we end up with only a choice between color runs and eSport?

I wrote "triathlon as we've known it in the U.S. since the mid 1980s" so I wasn't writing about marathons. If the average U.S. triathlete (not the common Joe on the street) in 15 or 20 years simply says he or she is doing an IM whenever he or she is doing a triathlon of any distance it won't be triathlon as we've known it since the 1980s. ITU can be dominant in other parts of the world in 15 or 20 years, but even less of a factor in the U.S. than it is now. I realize this sort of reads like a doomsday scenario, so maybe there is little reason to be concerned about the current fade in U.S. triathlon participation.:)
Quote Reply

Prev Next