Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster?
Quote | Reply
Ok, so here is the deal:
I am a mid 20 y/o 137 lb female who is racing all distances but looking to get faster (especially at 70.3's and 140.6's). I have a coach and have been training diligently. Last year, I raced IMWI and skirted all of the cutoffs and just barely finished with 16:51:55 finish time. My bike is the part of the race where I lose the most time (my bike was over 8hrs at IMWI). I am looking to see what upgrades I can make to my bike to gain as much speed as possible and I would like some input. Obviously, continuing to train is where I will see the most improvements, although I do have some physical limitations that hinder me (namely scaring in my lungs from chemo). Ok, so here is my setup!

Bike: Cervelo P5
Drivetrain: Shimano ultegra di2 with an 11-32 cassette
Wheels: HED Jet 6 Plus
Helmet: Rudy Project Wing 57
Shoes: Louis Garneau tri-400
Pedals: Garmin Vector 2
Hydration: Xlabs torpedo system 400 (carbon)
Storage: Torhans aero bento

So pretty much I was thinking my two options best options were a Ceramic Speed OSPW system and/or ENVE SES 7.8 wheels. Which do you think would make the biggest difference? I really love racing but hate that I am so close to cuttoffs (it makes the day really stressful for me and knowing that a flat tire could cause me to miss a cut off really sucks). Please don't say just train harder, I promise that I am but there is a lot that I am working against. Racing is just not something that I am willing to give up so I want to try and get as fast as possible. Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [t1dtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of suggestions:

-Continental Grand Prix TT 23c tires front and rear with Vittoria Latex tubes
-Some sort of sleeved aero suit like the Roka Women's Gen 2 Elite Aero
-Donate the Rudy project helmet and switch to a Giro Aerohead or Louis Garneau P-09

Total will be under $500 and you should see an improvement.

Timothy Winslow
Last edited by: timmywins: Jul 31, 18 22:21
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [timmywins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. So I have been running Conti GP 4000's, are the TT's faster?
2. Noted, I will try some aero suits on!
3. I will go try those helmets on! I have a tiny head, hopefully they fit!

Thank you!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [t1dtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not worry about either pulley or enves. Over stock pulleys and your hed wheels your not gaining hardly anytime at all. If your looking equipment then your helmet is probably the low hanging fruit as the Rudy project isn’t that great for most people. Aside from that how is your position? Drag from your body is another thing to pay attention to.
What tires are you running? Latex tubes?

Well done on pursuing this even with the limitations of scarred lungs. Hopefully your fitness improves with more training and those times go down for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should switch from the 4000s to the TT. Because you are averaging around 14mph it is more important for your tire to have lower rolling resistance then it is for it to be more aerodynamic.

The TT tires should work well.

Timothy Winslow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what you listed I think helmet is the first place to look. You didn't mention anything about a bike fit as you could have some low hanging aero gains there, are you able to stay in aero comfortably for your bike split?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Position, position, position. Find a great bike fitter and work on getting more aero and there are huge gains to be made I suspect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course I have no knowledge about your capabilities/talent or your psysical limitations, but given you time (16 hours+) I recon the bike/gear is not the problem. Switching helmets is a good plan, and affordable. Switching tires seems like a bad plan. TT are more likely to flat, especially in training. The GP4000II are perfectly fine and I would not take the hassle of switching out tires between training and racing (although a new tire just before raceday feels nice) :)

A Cervelo P5 is a great bike, but without a photo/video I don't think we can comment on helmet or other gear choices. When looking for low hanging fruit, helmet, shoes, tri-suit come to mind. But bike-fit and training are likely to give better results.
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know 7f the flat worry is due to time or ability. If the latter put in some time to be able to change tires/tubes without even thinking. That is one less th7ng to worry about!

Sure you can change helmet, tires if you want to etc but i dont think it matters much. But of you have all that cash sure go ahead but the gt4000 is a good tire with more puncture protection than the tt.

But as others said, bile fit if you have not, getting more aero is where you could gain the most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike fit. Post a picture/video of your position from the side.

What others have said as well (tires and tubes).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are riding 14 MPH, then aerodynamic drag is not your biggest enemy. However, ditto everyone else, plus a few...
  1. Get a disc wheel or a wheel cover for the back. The Jet 6 + Disc will be faster than the Enve wheels
  2. Dump the Rudy helmet
  3. Ditto a sleeved tri suit
  4. Change to latex tubes (if you are not already there)
  5. Try a 23mm front tire and 25mm rear tire... either GP4K2 or Attack/Force
  6. Can you lower your stack any? That alone will speed you up a ton, if you can get lower with an updated fit.
  7. Do you have bottle cages in the triangle? If so, ditch them.
  8. Do you have a behind-the-seat bottle system? If not, get one and put bottles in the cages, even if you aren't using them.

Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to agree with others.
With the times you have posted the gear you are riding is not really the problem and should not be where you invest in to improve your times. You are riding high quality gear and any gains from upgrades will be incredibly marginal for you.
My thoughts are that the biggest gains for you will come from a quality structured training program. This will not happen overnight. Consistency is key. You can likely shave 90-120 mins from your bike time with a solid 6-9 months of training.
I would never make a good salesperson in a bike shop....!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
With the times you have posted the gear you are riding is not really the problem and should not be where you invest in to improve your times. You are riding high quality gear and any gains from upgrades will be incredibly marginal for you.
My thoughts are that the biggest gains for you will come from a quality structured training program. This will not happen overnight. Consistency is key. You can likely shave 90-120 mins from your bike time with a solid 6-9 months of training.

She has a coach

She asked for help with equipment

As others have said

Bike fit if you have not gotten one
Helmet giro aerohead
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
pbnz wrote:

She has a coach

As others have said

Helmet giro aerohead

To be fair, she asked for upgrades on her bike, so your 'bike fit and helmet change' are not that relevant either.

Most people allready mentioned helmet, bikefit and tires. The truth is that only the bike-fit is able to really make a impact (apart from more training, which might or might not (given her psysical problems) be an option). OSPW and ENVE wheels are only a good advice if she has plenty of money. In that case: go for it, quite sure it doesn't slow her down :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are all very marginal gains compared to bike fitness. The bike fit is a good idea, but I would suggest subscribing to Trainer road and getting on a training plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with others that the most obvious things are the helmet and bike fit. I assume you have discussed these issues with your coach. Just keep at it. Consistency is key as they say. Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even sure if the ENVE wheels will be any faster than the HED 6.

Apart from the helmet, sleeved kit (no mention of the kit) and possibly tyres (at the expense of fragility - the GP4ks are good enough for most), it doesn't sound like there's anything that really leaves significant amounts of time left to "buy".

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
Position, position, position. Find a great bike fitter and work on getting more aero and there are huge gains to be made I suspect.

This. Best money you can spend. You will be faster and more comfortable on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
RBR wrote:
pbnz wrote:

She has a coach

As others have said

Helmet giro aerohead

To be fair, she asked for upgrades on her bike, so your 'bike fit and helmet change' are not that relevant either.

Most people allready mentioned helmet, bikefit and tires. The truth is that only the bike-fit is able to really make a impact (apart from more training, which might or might not (given her psysical problems) be an option). OSPW and ENVE wheels are only a good advice if she has plenty of money. In that case: go for it, quite sure it doesn't slow her down :)

Bike fit and helmet aren't relevant????

You might want to rethink that one.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
pbnz wrote:

She has a coach

As others have said

Helmet giro aerohead

Well, sorry if I am being blunt and to the point.
An 8 hour bike split in an IM is not going to be made much faster with her current set up by opting for more expensive options with likely low marginal gains.
I would suggest that equipment is not her issue. She does not need to buy anything now to make her go faster, she has a level of equipment that would make many envious. She will struggle to buy more speed by upgrading her current setup.
Her money would be better spent in investing in a bike fit if not done already and a structured training program. Yes, she has a coach you say, but that does not mean she is being given good advice or training plans. Heck, that she is asking on here for equipment options to make her go faster suggest that this is not the case.
She has all she needs equipment wise to post a good bike split. Just the engine and how it is fitted to the car need to be sorted (emphasis on the engine).
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Cnasta wrote:
RBR wrote:
pbnz wrote:

She has a coach

As others have said

Helmet giro aerohead

Haha, you should re-read the thread (all my replies) They are relevant, but you stated "She asked for help with equipment " in reaction to others advising her to train harder. Your reply was not fair. While it is true she didn't ask for training-replies, she also did not ask for equipment tips. She asked for upgrades on her bike. In that light, your reply was not that relevant. Of course helmet and bike-fit are (please read my first reply, in which I explicitly gave her that advice) :)
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He means that they aren't upgrades for your bike, which is technically true.
Someone riding 8h on a Di2 Cervelo P5 with a power meter and deep rims and an aerohelmet doesn't have an equipment problem.

I'd suggest getting a road bike and riding that sometimes. I much prefer riding my road bike and although it isn't the same as riding the TT bike, it makes me more likely to ride which improves my fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we all mis-read others replies at times.
What I am trying to get across bluntly to the OP is that whilst she may ask for equipment advice, sometimes the blunt honest truth is the better but harder road to take.
I could think of lots of things she could spend her money on equipment wise, but the honest advice is that these won't make much of a difference and her money would be better spent elsewhere.
Yes, that is not what she asked, hopefully some agree that this is more appropriate advice.....

Cnasta wrote:
stevej wrote:
Cnasta wrote:
RBR wrote:
pbnz wrote:

She has a coach

As others have said

Helmet giro aerohead

Haha, you should re-read the thread (all my replies) They are relevant, but you stated "She asked for help with equipment " in reaction to others advising her to train harder. Your reply was not fair. While it is true she didn't ask for training-replies, she also did not ask for equipment tips. She asked for upgrades on her bike. In that light, your reply was not that relevant. Of course helmet and bike-fit are (please read my first reply, in which I explicitly gave her that advice) :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Cnasta wrote:
RBR wrote:
pbnz wrote:

She has a coach

As others have said

Helmet giro aerohead

Lol
Quote Reply
Re: What upgrades should I make to my bike so it is faster? [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
RBR wrote:
pbnz wrote:

She has a coach

As others have said

Helmet giro aerohead

Well, sorry if I am being blunt and to the point.
An 8 hour bike split in an IM is not going to be made much faster with her current set up by opting for more expensive options with likely low marginal gains.
I would suggest that equipment is not her issue. She does not need to buy anything now to make her go faster, she has a level of equipment that would make many envious. She will struggle to buy more speed by upgrading her current setup.
Her money would be better spent in investing in a bike fit if not done already and a structured training program. Yes, she has a coach you say, but that does not mean she is being given good advice or training plans. Heck, that she is asking on here for equipment options to make her go faster suggest that this is not the case.
She has all she needs equipment wise to post a good bike split. Just the engine and how it is fitted to the car need to be sorted (emphasis on the engine).

Yes we all said bike fit

Did you miss the part about her having had cancer and lung scarring?
Last edited by: RBR: Aug 1, 18 5:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next