Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What training wheels to pair with FLO?
Quote | Reply
I currently have a pair of FLO 60s that have a 24.7mm rim width. My training wheels are more like 20mm rim width. It is becoming a pain to readjust the brakes every time I switch between wheelsets.

I am looking for a fairly cheap but reliable wheelset with a similar rim width to the FLOs. Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: What training wheels to pair with FLO? [Tower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLO 30s?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another set of Flo's. Or just use the same set.

That's the thing about Flo wheels. They're nice enough to be both a race wheel and inexpensive enough to be a training wheel.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jun 4, 18 5:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Flo are so durable, there isn't a reason to not use them to train as well. But, if you wanted, the Flo 30's are perfect for that.
Quote Reply
Re: What training wheels to pair with FLO? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Just use the same set.
iamuwere wrote:
The Flo are so durable, there isn't a reason to not use them to train as well.
+3. I used my FLO 60/90 CC set full-time for training and racing on my TT bike. No real reason to use anything else-- they are great everyday wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo 30 or Profile Design 30/24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for training on the Flo 60’s. You’ll get better at handling them in windy conditions which will make things easier come race day

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What others have said. I use my HED Jet 6+ wheels as my do it all wheels. Maybe if I had full carbon, $2k wheels I'd not ride them all the time. But even so, I've had one instance where I hit a pot hole hard enough to affect the rim, and that just put it slightly out of true. Didn't actually permanently damage the rim. At that price and material, I'd just ride them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My training wheels are Flo30s, but I would recommend the HED Ardennes as well. My Flos are a very nice rim, but I have managed to a ruin couple of the aluminum Flo rims, with bent brake tracks and cracking around the nipple seats. The quality of the alloy seems to be generally better on HED wheels, but of course a Flo 30 is only 80$. I just reuse the spokes and toss in a new rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do mos tof my training on Flo 45s and they have been subjected to dramatic abuse and held up fine.

My "winter wheels" are the stock Bontrager TLR aluminum wheels that came on my Madone that are very close in width to the the Flos (3mm difference I believe, a couple twists on the barrel adjusters). You can often find a used or take off set of those pretty cheap. They have also held up very well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the good advice. It had never occurred to me to just use the FLOs full-time. I might try that out, but don't want to look too flashy. Maybe I will get a set of 30s or peel off the stickers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trained on my 60/90 wheels for 1.5 years. At first, I did not want to be that guy. Now I am training on my 90/Disc as everyday wheels. I am all in as that guy, and I freakin' love it. The major plus is that I get no wind surprises in races, because riding on deep wheels is my norm. That is a huge confidence builder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get stealth black or see if they will ship without stickers

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 30s aren't flashy at all. You love them :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought Flo 30s for this very reason, but find myself just training on the Flo 60s most of the time. The only thing I don't like about the 30s is that it's extremely hard to get tires on and off them, at least Conti GP4000s. I got a Kool Stop tire bead jack that helps, but damn it can be a fight.
Quote Reply
Re: What training wheels to pair with FLO? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
My training wheels are Flo30s, but I would recommend the HED Ardennes as well. My Flos are a very nice rim, but I have managed to a ruin couple of the aluminum Flo rims, with bent brake tracks and cracking around the nipple seats. The quality of the alloy seems to be generally better on HED wheels, but of course a Flo 30 is only 80$. I just reuse the spokes and toss in a new rim.

I appear to be cracking my rear flo30 at the nipples every 10,000 miles. how many rims have you been through so far?
Quote Reply
Re: What training wheels to pair with FLO? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

I appear to be cracking my rear flo30 at the nipples every 10,000 miles. how many rims have you been through so far?
I had rear 24-spoke wheel crack after 28 months. It was replaced under warranty and I went up to 28 spokes. It's been just about 2 yrs and no cracks yet. I weigh about 165 and also use if for commuting with another 5-15lbs on my back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easily adjustable brakes, such as the Tri Rig ones would be a good solution....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo themselves say that their wheels can be used for both training and racing. I don't think there's a need to baby them!
Quote Reply
Re: What training wheels to pair with FLO? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
I had rear 24-spoke wheel crack after 28 months. It was replaced under warranty and I went up to 28 spokes. It's been just about 2 yrs and no cracks yet. I weigh about 165 and also use if for commuting with another 5-15lbs on my back.

Similar situation here. My first 24 spoke wheel was replaced just out of warranty. Initially Flo was going to send a rim but they were out and sent me a whole wheel. I regret not asking to go up to 28 spokes, at the time, there was one crack and I figured it was just a defect. Fast forward about 2 years and 10,000 miles, and the replacement is cracked at 4 different nipples.

I've loved these wheels, and outside of this they've been great. No need to true them or think about anything other than greasing the freehub. So I'm not too upset about lacing in a new rim, but am I going to be repairing these every 2 years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a nice set of custom FLO 30s with white industries hubs I’ll sell you! Perfect training set!
Quote Reply