Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)?
Quote | Reply
I heard the race got cancelled partway through due to crazy storms. Anybody know around what time that was?
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the IM tracker app there was a message at 12:02 MDT saying the race was suspended and another at 12:56 saying the event was cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately about 3 mins before I crossed the finish line, so my 15 min PR doesn't get officially recorded....
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [Pookspolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pookspolo wrote:
Unfortunately about 3 mins before I crossed the finish line, so my 15 min PR doesn't get officially recorded....

i’m right there with you... i had a mile left.

i shaved 20 minutes of my bike from last year and was on pace to shave around 7 off my run.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they pulled me off course right at 1pm around mile 9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got some IT band issues back in December and then work kicked up big time severely limiting my training time to come back from it. Made the decision about 6 weeks ago to drop out of this race. Kind of down about it all morning. Certainly feel bad for everyone who raced, but sounds like this was a good race to back out of. I know the weather in The Woodlands was insane for a while, so can imagine what it was like on the coast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The announcement said cancelled as of 1:45pm
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [Sikedsyko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered what happens to the athletes who are out in the middle of the course when a race is "cancelled" mid race?

Did they give you support back to finishing area? Make you find shelter and/or get back to finishing area on your own?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the area I was at, they started pulling everyone off course and shuffled us over to a loading bay inside the hotel across the street. We stood in there for about 45 minutes till the weather passed and then they called the race.
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [Sikedsyko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were in the tent until it started to sound like it was about to collapse, then shuffled to the hotel next to it.

I know why they stopped the race but was very disappointed at the lack of communication from anyone running the race. If someone on a PA or megaphone had have just updated everyone while we were standing around if would have alieviated everyone wandering around asking wtf was going on.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lack of communication and seeming lack of any emergency plan was pretty piss poor. ESPECIALLY given the forecast and resulting knowledge of possibilities.
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
The lack of communication and seeming lack of any emergency plan was pretty piss poor. ESPECIALLY given the forecast and resulting knowledge of possibilities.

i’d be willing to bet they had a really good plan in place, as this hasn’t been the first time a race was cancelled or threatened due to weather and it was well known weather was going to be a potential issue, but the complete lack of communication while the suspension was ongoing did suck and could have been avoided.

i was just coming up to the hotel loading / parking bay on my way to finish the 3rd lap where an official was playing traffic cop shuffling everyone in. it was raining so hard and the wind was blowing so hard the rain physically hurt.

i honestly considered “not seeing him” and trying to finish but my conscience got me.

my wife was over at the finish line area and she immediately went to one of the host resorts attractions. she said they opened it up to everyone and the staff was showing people where outlets were for cellphone charging and such. she was impressed.

moody gardens (host resort) is set up really well for a shelter in place situation, at least for the swim and run area. LOTS of places to go hide from the weather.

i really want to know how they handled any of the potential slow goers that were still out on the bike course.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished the race just after noon. I was the first wave after the pro women (but sadly only 22 of 112 of us got to finish). I would say it was about 45ish minutes later that the storm started. I was eating food in the big white tent with my husband who wasn't able to race this one with me. It was terrifying as we thought the tent was going to blow away the wind was pelting it so hard. We were scared and ran over to the Aquarium which let athletes into the area. I sat by the turtles and warmed up (going to go back to see them again). Our friend Charlie was on the on the course and found shelter in a parking garage. He said it was crazy out there.

Everyone was safe (asked an official when we came back looking for the awards ceremony which was canceled). We drove back for the awards ceremony for 4pm because I didn't realize most people didn't finish. I was told by an Ironman employee cleaning up the finish area that the awards will be mailed and world slot allocations will be emailed to people. When I looked at my tracker later in the evening it showed 386 finishers. And I think over 2,300 athletes started. Very unfortunate about the weather. I feel sad for everyone who couldn't finish.

I was thinking the bikes were wrecked from the winds and glad my bike was insured but it was a miracle most bikes were OK. Just a few knocked over. Several porto pots were knocked over. The finish area was a mess too. It was a bad storm. I haven't seen thunderstorms this bad in VT.

I do love this race and would still highly recommend it. Loved the courses and venue. Volunteers were awesome. But the weather is a crapshoot!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the garage after they stopped the race. I think communication was good and they made a right call for the situation. It was a typical Galveston t-storm, so I was kinda expecting it. I met several people who got 1 mile, 2 mile and 0.8 mile more to go to finish it. It's just a part of the game, so I was perfectly fine with it and had a blast while it lasted. This has been my experience with 70.3 in Texas.

2016 Austin 70.3 - Swim cancelled due to fog. TT start.
2017 Galveston 70.3 - Overcast when started and got hot and humid during the run (This is the best 70.3 experience I've had so far.)
2017 Austin 70.3 - Freezing 30ish temp when started
2018 Galveston 70.3 - Freezing temp and rained.
2018 Waco 70.3 - Swim cancelled due to strong current. TT start.
2019 Galveston 70.3 - Cancelled in the middle of the race due to storm

I'm curious about my next two.

2019 Waco 70.3 - ???
2019 Augusta 70.3 - ???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Officially shut down at 12:53pm. I crossed the finish line at 12:55pm. Crappy year to have a late starting wave!
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RE Rolldown

Any idea how this will work for the folks that DNF'd due to weather? In other words, if no one in your AG (i.e. 60+) finished prior to the suspension, will those slots fall to other AGs?

Not sure what Ironman's precedent is here...
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [hince57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know but Ironman promised a more detailed announcement later today.
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they have an awards ceremony at all? I assume not; I had to jet home right after to relieve the babysitter

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Apr 8, 19 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. At about 2pm when the race was officially canceled, they starting asking everybody to leave the venue before the next wave of storms. They said they'd mail awards. Not sure how they'll handle WC spots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope...awards and rolldown cancelled. (i think the fact that they cancelled was communicated rather poorly)
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [hince57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RE Rolldown

Any idea how this will work for the folks that DNF'd due to weather? In other words, if no one in your AG (i.e. 60+) finished prior to the suspension, will those slots fall to other AGs?

Not sure what Ironman's precedent is here...

Well if they are willing to do a little work, they could appease a few more of the DNF racers. I assume there were timing mats on the run, they could go to the last one where a whole bunch of people crossed, after the 1/2 point, and use average mile split times to calculate a probable finish. So if you passed the 10 mile mark at 9 minute miles, you add 28+ minutes to get your probable finish time. Now of course you all can poke a ton of holes in this, what if they would have blown up, what if they are negative splitters, whatever. This is just a basic solution to get maybe get 1/2 of those DNF's an actual finish time, and in the roll down arena. If anyone has a better idea that can actually be implemented easily without a lot of trigonometry, I'm all ears..
Last edited by: monty: Apr 8, 19 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did an independent half (Pumpkinman in Maine) a few years ago that got canceled while I was midway through the run. I was in the elite wave and they ended up doing final results for most based on bike times, but for the dozen or so in the elite wave they did it on placing on the run course at the time of cancellation. Maybe go to a point in each AG where everyone finished - point on the run or maybe the end of the bike to give awards and slots??

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: What time was the race called off at Galveston 70.3 (due to storms)? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awards were already settled for M50-54 and below, but the IM tracker shows no official finishers for M55-59 and above. On the women's side, F45-49 and below are settled, but no finishers F50-54 and above.

Congrats to ST's CPT Chaos for winning M45-49 with a smoking time of 4:14.
Last edited by: mbwallis: Apr 8, 19 11:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next