Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
head position is probably the thing most left on the table by most athletes. with everything else being the same, i wouldn't be surprised if the delta from a bad head position to a really good one is ~15w.

x1000

This really can't be overstated. When I'm riding 25+ miles per hour, I swear I can feel the drag go down from head popped up to head turtled and tucked. I have been meaning to Chung test this, but I'll bet it's more like 25 watts

More like <5w depending on helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
kileyay wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
head position is probably the thing most left on the table by most athletes. with everything else being the same, i wouldn't be surprised if the delta from a bad head position to a really good one is ~15w.

x1000

This really can't be overstated. When I'm riding 25+ miles per hour, I swear I can feel the drag go down from head popped up to head turtled and tucked. I have been meaning to Chung test this, but I'll bet it's more like 25 watts

That may be true for you. But I would make a serious bet that my head popped up in the air vs. my best turtle is a much more meaningful difference.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, it's likely more, but 25w wouldn't happen unless you have a Drop Dead Fred smashed in the fridge dome.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Sure, it's likely more, but 25w wouldn't happen unless you have a Drop Dead Fred smashed in the fridge dome.

Until one of us has some data, I'm going to leave this here:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Grill wrote:

Until one of us has some data, I'm going to leave this here:

I no I asked about your stem but what's the rest of your fit info. Bike size, stack and reach,. Crank length exc.?????
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has Dan not chimed in yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
kileyay wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

x1000

what??

you've seen the head positions that populate ST fit critiques and race pics, right? i mean, just look as this thread.. 15w is conservative. 25w is generous. the delta between terrible (most head positions) and excellent (your head position, for example), is pretty damn big.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Aug 10, 17 15:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha omg I can't stop laughing

Sorry Grill but head position can make or break a position

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 10, 17 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
at 0?

On the track so whatever average observed yaw you want to assign to that.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well the track can't measure anything other than 0, so yea...0.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about this Michigan guy:

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
How about this Michigan guy:

Uhg!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was going to see if I had a current pic to play along but in the process came across this picture from Kona 1989, again before a lot of aero goodies had been mainstreamed.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top age group finisher at the Nationals in the past couple of years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

It's not zero. http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/...cycling-a-velodrome/
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd prefer someone more informed than either of us chime in on this subject, because trusting that one single experiment (self described as a "fast first try") is like trusting people on ST: debatable.
Either way, .2 is impressive if it's at 0. Out to 8-10 degrees of yaw it's not as impressive.

furthermore, that guy isn't a slowtwitcher that i'm aware of so doesn't count.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Aug 10, 17 17:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's below 0.2.

You can search around for other people's work on yaw distributions on velodromes. Others have done more thorough research. I just posted the first available link from my phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not saying I'm the best and this picture isn't great but I'd love the feed back[/img]
Last edited by: abetances15: Aug 10, 17 19:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I no I asked about your stem but what's the rest of your fit info. Bike size, stack and reach,. Crank length exc.?????

Right now I am running a reach/stack of 505/565 on my Felt (51 cm)/ 165mm crank
Last edited by: kileyay: Aug 11, 17 2:00
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha omg I can't stop laughing

Sorry Grill but head position can make or break a position

I have a massive amount of head position data as when I tested helmets I did them both head up and shrugged. Like I said, less than 5w for me, but others could see more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

No. Between 2-5 degrees on the track. I take it you've never ridden in a velodrome as you can feel it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
i'd prefer someone more informed than either of us chime in on this subject, because trusting that one single experiment (self described as a "fast first try") is like trusting people on ST: debatable.
Either way, .2 is impressive if it's at 0. Out to 8-10 degrees of yaw it's not as impressive.

furthermore, that guy isn't a slowtwitcher that i'm aware of so doesn't count.

It took me some time but I did the mathematics. I wanted someone to check it, but under these circumstances I will upload the vector calculations tonight to the time trial forum.

Anyway, if my calculations are correct yaw on in a velodrome is always below 5°!

CdA below 0.2 m2 at 0° ist possible, I would even say if you have an appropriate talent it can be much below 0.2. However the triatlets I tested usually didn't reach such values.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for swapping forums briefly. good to know re: velodrome testing. one of the variables i don't like very much about track testing vs. wind tunnel testing is the lack of options in terms of testing at various yaw angles...

i've tested as low as .21 or thereabouts for long course tri position in the tunnel (at 0) and 10 deg is usually .19 -.195ish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not there yet, by I hope to get there soon.

Can't post pictures, so here is a link.

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

I will be doing on road video sessions, and VE testing soon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next