Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
There needs to be more criteria than that, I have nearly the lowest drag of anyone here only because I'm smaller but I'm certainly not the fastest .

Perhaps watts/drag?

Well, since he is merely looking to emulate the best positions I'm not sure adding power into the equation matters much. Also, when you say small what does that mean? and nearly the lowest drag? What did you test out at?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Define best?

Easy
1. Lowest CdA for the bike leg
2. Can still run after the bike leg

There are some goofy positions that are still really fast. On the U.K. Timetrialing site there was a guy with a pretty high position with a CdA of 0.18. Given that very few people seem capable of a 0.22 CdA just image how fresh you would be after putting in a smoking fast bike leg.

There needs to be more criteria than that, I have nearly the lowest drag of anyone here only because I'm smaller but I'm certainly not the fastest .

Perhaps watts/drag?

Good point. You would really want the lowest Cd, but you can't measure that. Watts/drag makes it less about position and more about power output. I am sure Cancellara kills it on watts/drag, but there is nothing I can legally do to get close to his power output.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always felt that there was something holding me back... damn water bottle hahaha.

Yes, maybe I should get an aero bottle for the frame, but honestly for me at least it's more about getting more power than tweaking aero.

As for IM's I can pretty much hold the same position although I tend to not be so "low" in the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since it is #TBT, it's only fitting I load up an old image of me on the bike from 1993 at IRONMAN Hawaii. Rode just under 5 hours. What do you think? How could I have been better?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 10, 17 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you could spell "rode" correctly!

Quote:
Road just under 5 hours
Last edited by: jkhayc: Aug 10, 17 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you could spell "rode" correctly!

Thank you.

Corrected.

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [mackito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
his shoulders are too wide, minus points for that.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-1 for bad head position
-1 for tubulars
-1 for external cable routing
-1 for bib placement/attachment
-1 for no powermeter so no way to verify quality of position!
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-4 for non aero apparel
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Grill wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Quote:
Do you mind sharing your CdA? I have seen pictures of your position and the eyeball windtunnel says maybe sub-0.19, but then again the eyeball isn't always right.

Quote:
Can't share, but you're close with last year's position on the Plasma 3. This year is much lower than that.

like it's some big national security secret. you're a hobby time trialist and most of us are hobby triathletes. please.

I signed an NDA and I take my hobby quite seriously thank you very much. ;)

Do you have a picture of the new and old positions? I remember seeing one on the Plasma, but I haven't seen the P5.

I also wondered if you worked with Disley or Smart to come up with that position (I assume you are somewhere in the UK) or do you just pick up ideas from being part of the TT scene over there?

A whole lot of work with Disley to get the position (especially after the bike change an some people being silly about the rules). Position-wise, what is fast on one frame, isn't necessarily as fast on the other, which was a tough pill to swallow and a cautionary tale for anyone looking to change frames when they're already dialled in.

Old position:

New position:

Profile in this gallery: http://www.kimroy-photography.co.uk/...php?g2_itemId=687151
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bjorn's position has been pretty awesome over the years.
He used to be much lower, but this position was faster.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-1 for bad head position
-1 for tubulars
-1 for external cable routing
-1 for bib placement/attachment
-1 for no powermeter so no way to verify quality of position!

For the first - I was just acknowledging the photographer - a friend of mine who was in the Press Truck!

For the rest, it was 1993 - we had no idea what we were doing! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the best, but maybe my brother and I have a shot at familial CdA?

Last edited by: ntc: Aug 10, 17 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know MITRI has a pretty good position. perhaps he'll post a pic if he checks in.

looking at some of these pictures, i'm convinced some people have had their genitalia removed to get in position. even with a stubby split-nose seat, I can't get that low.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which way are you pointing yours? if you place everything correctly, you should never...EVER...experience interaction between "genitalia" and saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [mackito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mackito wrote:

I follow his username but my answer is Anthony costes!

I happen to know what his CDA is. I can't say what it is exactly, but it's sub 0.2 ;)
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you like the Tula?
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to answer for Grill, but I like my Tula's.

I had them on my track bike for a while, moved them over to my TT bike this year. Braking (w/Nokons and OmegaX front/1st Gen SC rear) takes just a bit to get used to, but actual power is on par with other full integrated (Ventus) setups. If you take turns out of aero I actually think the pods have better feel than normal horns.

The caveat to all that is that you can live with the fixed position of the extensions and the pads. The R&R setup is...ok... but that single pinch bolt that holds everything together always makes me slightly nervous.

They tested as good as my Nano's. (although mine are 420cm, you'd expect 380's to be better) in the tunnel.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Aug 10, 17 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone showing up at and Ironman race in this day and age and lay down a sub-5 in that set up would be a legend on ST ... like the bike share guy who did IM France or the dude that went up the hill at Savageman on the big ring. However, since you did it back in the 1993, this can only be classified as, "eh ... cute set up" :)

Fleck wrote:
Since it is #TBT, it's only fitting I load up an old image of me on the bike from 1993 at IRONMAN Hawaii. Rode just under 5 hours. What do you think? How could I have been better?

Quote | Reply
Can't complain. Super strong on the front with the Omega X (even with super tight routing).
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [CMattos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the position and set up, love the color scheme going on here, why the down tube water bottle in a oly and why have it be yellow? Your got such a good black on black on red theme why mess that up with a splash of yellow. Could ding you for not covering the valve hole on the disk, but i do the same thing often. I should also mention the massive strap on those mavic shoes, but then again we are supposed to be talking about position only, sorry I digress.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you have the best bike position but you might have the least body fat. I need to lose about 10 lbs

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at 0?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
head position is probably the thing most left on the table by most athletes. with everything else being the same, i wouldn't be surprised if the delta from a bad head position to a really good one is ~15w.

x1000

This really can't be overstated. When I'm riding 25+ miles per hour, I swear I can feel the drag go down from head popped up to head turtled and tucked. I have been meaning to Chung test this, but I'll bet it's more like 25 watts
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks? lol

I'm right there with you at the moment. Coming out of my off season and I'm at about 8-10 lbs more than I was in that pic. Getting back up to 50-60 mpw running should do the trick in no time at all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next