Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, you really are looking at the angle between the torso and the femur. but even so, my hip angle isn't super tight and i never experienced impingements in that area. i was too low, overall, for IM (without significant practice) and induced lower back issues. I think ultimately I did not have quite enough reach on that bike (54 P5). After some wind tunnel time I did switch to 165s which I think I have in that race pic.

Just a counter example:

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geezus. That pic says it all!
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I've probably tested like 20 different helmets on myself (in the wind tunnel), and that is the second fastest I've ever tested. I only switched to my current helmet when it came out and I tested it to be a watt or three faster.

I enjoyed the irony of your equipment choice.

They are definitely a classic and for a lot of people there are only marginal gains over that helmet. I was just suggesting that someone get one as a great budget helmet (60$ on clearance at Excel Sports as a shameless sponsor plug).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why -1 for a Dimond?

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [luarca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, should have been -2.

are you familiar with the term "tongue in cheek?"

but your bike is too small for you.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Oct 30, 17 15:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not used to coloquial terms in other language than mine :-)

Agree with the size, but Dimond stack is to high for me.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There. Triathlon and long distance.

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re bump for 2018 positions!
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated position for 2018: Still need to move pads back about 1/2in. Changes for 2018: New frame (smaller) switch cranks to 165, lowered seat 18mm. Possible have gone to low? Power is still fine so hesitated to come back up. I did run a PR off this position, but it was a good running day and many had PR's that day.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Apr 20, 18 4:36
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question: Do you have the tilt kit on the TriRig bar? If so, consider swapping out the 110 extensions for the 70 extensions, then tilt the bar to hit the same shifter rise as you currently have.
This should give you more pad contact and overall better elbow/forearm support.

Just a thought. Otherwise, position looks super aggressive and fast!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I moved back to the stock felt base bar. I don't like how you can't mount the garmin well to the Evo 110, but since i can't get a hold of the 51Speed Shop extensions best i can do. Had thought I was going to need the TR for the additional drop and reach. I still have 5mm spacer I could take out so drop ended up not being a issue. I have TR cups with Zipp pads currently, will switch over to Zipp cups this weekend will also put some washers under them like Josh Amberger does to get the pad tilt, but i get what your saying and it would save you from having to do the washer thing. I don't like the lack of pad with only just your elbows sitting on top of pads, its manageable but could be better.

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you mount your Garmin? I just got my 110s and have mine mounted with PVC pipe about and inch down from the shifters. That works really well for me and gives me good clearance for my BTA mount. But I also haven't ridden outside with it yet to make sure everything works.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on first glance that certainly looks...low. through some stalking it appears as though you biked a 2:19:xx and ran a 1:28:xx. 220ish watts for the bike and you described the bike - according to strava - as ''meh.''

you may be able to hold similar power as your previous position but i doubt it will ever feel as good. i just don't see the point in being as low as you are in that picture. your problem is definitely not your watts:mph ratio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You definitely don't look as long as you did on you Trek. What was the reason for the smaller bike / tighter position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
on first glance that certainly looks...low. through some stalking it appears as though you biked a 2:19:xx and ran a 1:28:xx. 220ish watts for the bike and you described the bike - according to strava - as ''meh.''

you may be able to hold similar power as your previous position but i doubt it will ever feel as good. i just don't see the point in being as low as you are in that picture. your problem is definitely not your watts:mph ratio.

I had typed up a response saying he might actually be too low. But the more I looked at it I think if he held his back flatter rather than hunched it would look a lot better. Might need slightly more reach.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now i have it mounted with the the zipp bottle mount. I have a alden mount to but I don't like how i can see it well when my hands are crossed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

Yea will keep playing with it.

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's too low IMO. His hip angle is quite closed off.

I already told him this but he won't listen. :) Maybe some public shaming will do it.

I've already struggled enough getting him to lower his seat.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well he's still in my AG so maybe pad height is juuuust right

let's see if that works lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got ya. I like the PVC pipe bc I can move the computer around to make sure I can see it. And it cost all of $.50!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just use electrical tape to tape the garmin to the extensions. It works but I guess a little bit of a hassle. Maybe I'll have to stop being so lazy and figure out the pvc pipe option.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I did was cut a piece out the width of the bars, drilled two holes to attach to extensions then good to go! Easy peasy. I need to spray paint it black but right now have it wrapped with electrical tape.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea the more I look at it the more I just don't understand being that low. You're not gaining anything.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
jaretj wrote:
There needs to be more criteria than that, I have nearly the lowest drag of anyone here only because I'm smaller but I'm certainly not the fastest .

Perhaps watts/drag?

Well, since he is merely looking to emulate the best positions I'm not sure adding power into the equation matters much. Also, when you say small what does that mean? and nearly the lowest drag? What did you test out at?

I know this is several months late:

When I say I'm small that means I'm physically small compared to most people.
I haven't aero tested on the bike but I'm able to do a 40K in an hour at a little over 200 watts, perhaps someone can help with that.
I'm also able to put out nearly the same power in my aero position vs my road position, I can ride it comfortably for hours.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I know this is several months late:

When I say I'm small that means I'm physically small compared to most people.
I haven't aero tested on the bike but I'm able to do a 40K in an hour at a little over 200 watts, perhaps someone can help with that.
I'm also able to put out nearly the same power in my aero position vs my road position, I can ride it comfortably for hours.

That is late. ;) I had to scroll up and read the original comment you replied to (pasted below) to remember what you were referencing.

I think what I was saying above was that watts don't really matter in this context because lower drag is all the guy is after. That is, if you lower your drag you will go faster off the same watts. Therefore, throwing up "I did XX:XX on XXX watts" doesn't really paint a good picture of how slippery one is, as the course is unknown (elevation, profile, technical aspect) and the weather is also unknown (temperature, wind speed, wind direction). Also, is the course really 40K? On the same 40K course I have put out 227, 232, 212, 232 and 215 watts which produced 56:07, 57:06, 57:10, 57:31, and 58:33, respectively. As you can see wattage and time on a 40K course really doesn't tell the whole story.

What I was looking for in regards to what small meant was height, weight, shoulder width, etc. Also, what does "in an hour mean"? 59:50 or 1:01:00? I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, it's just there is a big difference between the two. Your "little over" also is vague enough to not really be of much help. Maybe 1 or 2 watts is "a little" to you or maybe 5 or 10 is. Even with that info you'd have a hard time figuring out your CdA(m^2); however, I think it is safe to say you're far from being the guy/gal on ST with the lowest CdA (m^2). Not sure if I threw mine up in this thread, but when I went to the tunnel last I was .198 at 0º and I am no where near to being as slippery as some of the folks on here.

Anyhow, CdA and the ability too run well afterwards really is about all the criteria a ST'er would need to adhere to when looking to emulate a position. Although, I think I would just get with DesertDude and hit one of his aerocamps.

grumpier.mike wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Define best?

Easy
1. Lowest CdA for the bike leg
2. Can still run after the bike leg

There are some goofy positions that are still really fast. On the U.K. Timetrialing site there was a guy with a pretty high position with a CdA of 0.18. Given that very few people seem capable of a 0.22 CdA just image how fresh you would be after putting in a smoking fast bike leg.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply

Prev Next