Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What should I use for reading my power meter pedals
Quote | Reply
Recently picked up some P1s. I think I can an use my 920xt to view power, but it's a small cluttered screen.
Would like to leave on the bike.

What do folks use?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: What should I use for reading my power meter pedals [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello

With my P1s, I use both Garmin 935 and Edge 510, in training and racing.
935 is more for storing the data (to upload) and 510 to read them real time, and manage split time average, ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never had bad luck with the 500 series Garmins. They are sort of the Goldilocks of computers in terms of doing everything I need. Garmin also has an open/programmable interface so it supports third party devices, like the Aerpod and Notio CdA measurement devices. This sort of open architecture can be really nice because most devices will be compatible with a Garmin 520 righty out of the box because it is kind of an industry standard (think iPhone apps).

The Wahoo is also recommended, but it does lack the ability to add other devices. It might be a great computer, but it is sort of like Windows phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Garmin Edge 520 plus, but there are many choices that will support L/R power from pedals. Check out DCRainmaker.com for very thorough reviews of head units at various price points. You can't go wrong with Garmin, Wahoo, and many others. It is really about what other features do you want as well.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I use for reading my power meter pedals [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey!
Thank you all for the info.
Consensus sounds like Garmin 500 series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 520 Plus is what the original 520 should have been.

Personally, I would go with Wahoo if I was purchasing a new computer today.

Mapping on the 520 isn't great unless you download custom maps (DC Rainmaker has a tutorial on this). The problem is, the 520 hard drive is so mall that you can't fit much of a map area on the device. So, each time I go to a race where I want a map, I would have to install a new custom map. When I get home, i have to re-install my local map. Kind of a pain.

I replaced it with a 820, but absolutely hate the touch screen. The maps are better on the 820, and the hard drive is bigger. The 520 plus is a bridge between the original 520 and 820. It doesn't have a touch screen.

The wahoo mapping is good. I also like that you control so much of the wahoo setup from your phone. That's a much better user interface than what Garmin offers, in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etip wrote:
Recently picked up some P1s. I think I can an use my 920xt to view power, but it's a small cluttered screen.
Would like to leave on the bike.

What do folks use?
Thanks

Don't let me talk you out of a dedicated cycling computer if that's what you really want. But a 920xt with a quick-release would make a perfectly fine bike computer for most functions other than navigation.

I have a 310XT that I use on the bike to record and display power. With the QR kit, it mounts right up to a Garmin 1/4 turn mount.* I would recommend setting up multiple display "pages" with 3 data fields (one big on top, two small on bottom.) On every screen, I would suggest the top (big) data field be 3- or 10- second power. Use the lower data fields on the other screens to put other info in you'd like to see (for example, average power, distance, elapsed time, HR zone, etc). Then set the watch to auto-scroll through the pages. As the screens scroll, your current power is always the most prominent # on top. The other data essentially scrolls across the bottom. There are 3 speeds of scroll. I think I use medium, can't remember. It will cycle through the 4 pages I use every few seconds.

*FYI, the ears on the 1/4 turn "stud" of the QR kits are oriented 90 degrees from those on a Garmin Edge. Had to be this way to allow the charger to attach to a 310XT. I think the kept it on the 920XT to keep the band base narrower. Some Garmin-style mounts allow you to rotate the base to accommodate this difference, but some don't. Just be sure the mount you buy does have the flexibility.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Dec 5, 18 11:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etip wrote:
Hey!
Thank you all for the info.
Consensus sounds like Garmin 500 series
Garmin 130 will also display power, but not all of the available metrics, if that matters, which it probably doesn't.
Quote Reply