Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position
Quote | Reply
I posted on Monday asking for some advice on my tri bike set up. Here is my position (I forgot to have one taken with my outside leg extended), can someone help critique? Could I be stretched out another 10mm upfront? Does this helmet work well for me? What about new cycling shoes? I've looked into the Giro Inciter shoes and Giro Aerohead MIPS helmet. My next race is Challenge Daytona in 31 days. Can I make any changes that will help me? Thanks!

Instagram: @taggart_vanetten
Full Send Triathlon
Race Blog: https://taggartvanettentriathlon.wordpress.com/
Last edited by: Taggart_95: Nov 7, 18 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [Taggart_95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have a very good Kitchen Table or bike shop fit.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [Taggart_95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you really mean 10cm (which is 4") but in my view you should lower your pads by about that much. If I understand correctly you are 23 years old? Your current position would not be "agressive" even for someome twice your age.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant to put 10mm. The pads are slammed

Full Send Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to under mount the extensions and bolt the pads directly to the bar. You need more reach, less stack, and work on turtling. You look like you're on the wrong size bike/brand/model, but others may say differently. Also, that helmet is more than likely slower than pretty much anything else out there.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Nov 7, 18 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taggart_95 wrote:
I meant to put 10mm. The pads are slammed

you are on the wrong bike

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would I determine if a different type of bike would fit me better? I've looked into Valdora, that's about it. I heard they are great on positioning? Suggestions?

Full Send Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your current bike is "slammed", but you're more upright than my grandma eating dinner, hence the Kitchen Table Fit moniker.

a better bike would be one with a stem that's not at a positive incline and with a basebar extension system that's not super high stack like the one your Felt comes with.

The best thing to do would be to get a fit from someone knowledgeable and go from there.

Taggart_95 wrote:
How would I determine if a different type of bike would fit me better? I've looked into Valdora, that's about it. I heard they are great on positioning? Suggestions?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about the P2 hanging on the wall?
you really can't go lower on the Felt and you need to.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the P2 is my friend's bike

Full Send Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for fun you should put the p2in the trainer and take some photos of you in aero position on it. Post them here. This website has a complete database of bike fitters and you have one of them commenting and trying to help you maybe you could start with him.
Last edited by: Gonefishin5555: Nov 7, 18 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if I got a different stem and aerobar system? Would the Alpha X help?

Full Send Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 5'-11", you probably need a size 54 IA to get as low as you want. My guess you are on a 56 (or worse, a 58).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your #1 problem is lack of reach. Your second biggest problem is posture. The two are interconnected.

To address #1, I'd put the arm pads in the forward position (not the back position like you have in the picture). I'd also mount the arm pads in front of the clamp that attaches the aerobars to the base bar (this will give you even more reach). You might need longer extensions to hit the desired length and keep the shifters in your hand)

I don't think you need to go lower. By increasing reach and slightly angling the bars up, you'll be able to streamline your body, drop your head and shrug your shoulders naturally, improving your posture dramatically (problem #2).

As others said, your helmet sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it!

Full Send Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ElliotOP wrote:
Your #1 problem is lack of reach. Your second biggest problem is posture. The two are interconnected.

To address #1, I'd put the arm pads in the forward position (not the back position like you have in the picture). I'd also mount the arm pads in front of the clamp that attaches the aerobars to the base bar (this will give you even more reach). You might need longer extensions to hit the desired length and keep the shifters in your hand)

I don't think you need to go lower. By increasing reach and slightly angling the bars up, you'll be able to streamline your body, drop your head and shrug your shoulders naturally, improving your posture dramatically (problem #2).

I dunno. Note that his photo is rotated head down by about 3 degrees. In reality his head is even higher, and his torso even more upright, than that picture looks...unless you rotate it so the bike is level. When you do that, the highest point of his back is entirely below the ear covers of his helmet. Basically everything from his just above his eyebrows is up in the wind.

His seat looks very far rear-ward. The whole fit looks like he's on a road bike. That frame looks too short and tall, instead of long and low for you.

I don't know anything about the Felt and what adjustments can be made (shorter cranks, allowing a higher seat, more reach, undermount, etc). But, I agree with Eric...go see a GOOD fitter, and see what can be done in the short term...and what options you have longer term (smaller felt, or a cervelo).
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last thing I would recommend him is to get a smaller Felt...

I really think length is the key to this equation (and he can get at least 2 inches more without changing his bike). He’s got a good drop but as you noticed, he does not sit on the saddle right (like a road bike a little curled up...) the added length will allow him to rotate forward, relax, and drop his head, hence improving his positioning on the bike. I hate it when people just say you’re on the wrong bike (sometimes they really are, but he has options).
Last edited by: ElliotOP: Nov 7, 18 15:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ElliotOP wrote:

^^^^This!!! You can achieve a good position with very little change to your bike.

Shrug and turtle. If you don't know what that means, ask. Hold your head so you can just peer up the road with your eyes as high as possible.
Instead of pulling your shoulders down in front of your chest, pull them up and forward, towards your ears. With a little more reach and tilt it should feel more natural and easier to hold.

Try other helmets...

Another thing... IF you end up wanting more drop to the pads, and that bike has a normal stem (I think it does), you can spend $30 to get one that is angled down a bit. You definitely don't need a smaller frame.
Last edited by: rruff: Nov 7, 18 22:27
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
ElliotOP wrote:

^^^^This!!! You can achieve a good position with very little change to your bike.

Shrug and turtle. If you don't know what that means, ask. Hold your head so you can just peer up the road with your eyes as high as possible.
Instead of pulling your shoulders down in front of your chest, pull them up and forward, towards your ears. With a little more reach and tilt it should feel more natural and easier to hold.

Try other helmets...

Another thing... IF you end up wanting more drop to the pads, and that bike has a normal stem (I think it does), you can spend $30 to get one that is angled down a bit. You definitely don't need a smaller frame.

I straightened the photo out so the tires are level at their highest point.

There is reach to be had by stretching him out with placing the pads in front of the extension clamps, but he also needs to move forward on the saddle by as much if not more. Therefore, he is looking at a net loss in making the pad move not to mention he'll need longer extensions. The IA is just a short bike and I had mistaken the bar for the Devox Bayo3 which makes things worse in that the great low stack bike now becomes a high stack deal. It's not that he needs to be on a smaller frame, he just needs something longer and lower. But he can make this bike work with a longer negative stem and the pad move, but is that ideal?

Agree on the shrug and turtle, but I don't think the reach is there to be had when one considers how he is sitting on the saddle.

ETA: Moving forward on the saddle will make this position look better since saddle will be coming up as well.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Nov 8, 18 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
It's not that he needs to be on a smaller frame, he just needs something longer and lower. But he can make this bike work with a longer negative stem and the pad move, but is that ideal?

Always best to get the position dialed on the bike you have, and then see if it's lacking something. I think it will be fine, though.

I wouldn't move his saddle forward or higher.

Isn't it a Bayonet 3 bar? Whatever it is it's highly adjustable, and there is at least 10cm of forward adjustment in the extensions as it sits. But I'd get a 120mm -17 stem and start there, as I'd prefer to keep the pads behind the clamps if possible.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Always best to get the position dialed on the bike you have, and then see if it's lacking something. I think it will be fine, though.

Maybe, but I'm thinking he can get good money for the bike how it is without having to invest in parts/changes that he likely won't need on his next bike and that someone else shouldn't need on that bike. Seeing a good fitter on a fit bike might be more efficient too.

rruff wrote:
I wouldn't move his saddle forward or higher.

You're okay with how far back he is sitting on that ISM or the bike for that matter?

rruff wrote:
Isn't it a Bayonet 3 bar? Whatever it is it's highly adjustable, and there is at least 10cm of forward adjustment in the extensions as it sits. But I'd get a 120mm -17 stem and start there, as I'd prefer to keep the pads behind the clamps if possible.

It is a Bayonet 3 but it's not the carbon version known as the Devox. The latter is far more adjustable than the aluminum version in terms of stack and has the same range on reach, but it is lacking in the ability to tilt where the aluminum version gives you infinite adjustment there.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: What should I do with my bike set up?- Follow up. My position [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:

You're okay with how far back he is sitting on that ISM or the bike for that matter?

Since he and I are the same size I overlaid his fit to mine (recently fit by TrentNix). I'm on a 55cm P3-SL. My saddle is in the same location relative to the BB, but I sit 10cm more forward on it. So, I think he can get there with the saddle. Btw, I'm also on shorter cranks. He looks to be on 175mm, while I'm using 150mm. That would raise the saddle and help some with his drop.

That's not too expensive to change out...and money doesn't seem to be a problem for Taggart (he was going to spend $1200 on the Alpha/Omega combo in the previous thread).

Interestingly, my entire position is basically rotated 10cm forward/down from his. Our body dimensions are identical to what I can measure with Visio. With my shorter cranks, my saddle is 4cm higher, and my pads are about 3cm lower. I can trace his knee-hip-shoulder angle and move it forward by 10cm and rotate it down by 15deg and it overlays my position (except that my hip-angle is about 3-degrees more open).

You guys know his bar better than me, but the hardest part seems like it will be pushing the extensions out 10cm, and down by whatever he can get. His wheelbase is the same as mine, so I'm guessing the 10cm of forward weight shift won't make the bike too twitchy.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 8, 18 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The part needed (a stem) is very cheap and easy to change. It's a very adjustable bike with the best adjustable bars you can get, so a good one to start with. The bars come with spacers for increasing stack 55mm. That's a lot IMO. But he probably doesn't need more stack anyway...

If he needs to be on the saddle nose, it can be moved back. There may be reason to come forward a little with his rear end position, I just wouldn't suggest that move to start. His leg extension is fine, and he doesn't look pinched at the top either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The part needed (a stem) is very cheap and easy to change.

no, it's not. Felt IAs come with pre-cut steerers and an OEM stem that is very low profile. Many stems will not fit on an IA aftermarket AFAIK

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The part needed (a stem) is very cheap and easy to change. It's a very adjustable bike with the best adjustable bars you can get, so a good one to start with. The bars come with spacers for increasing stack 55mm. That's a lot IMO. But he probably doesn't need more stack anyway...

Agreed that stems are cheap. He can go that way for sure. Also, I was not referring to increasing stack but decreasing it. I apologize for not being clear on that. The Devox version lets you under-mount the extensions and bolt the pads to the bar, which roughly should give you about 3CM less stack than the clamp on version allows. That's where I was going with my original suggestion for dropping pad stack.

rruff wrote:
If he needs to be on the saddle nose, it can be moved back. There may be reason to come forward a little with his rear end position, I just wouldn't suggest that move to start. His leg extension is fine, and he doesn't look pinched at the top either.

Man, I'm just worried about it from a comfort stand point. Not sure how sitting on it like that can be tolerated.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Nov 8, 18 10:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next