Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What shoes do you run sockless in and for what distance?
Quote | Reply
I currently wear Zoots and can still find what I need but am looking for alternatives. Plus just yesterday did a 12 mile run in them and the cushion didn’t seem to be adequate. I think they will work for sprints and Olympic distance but not sure about anything longer. Looking for other options. I will probably wear socks for 1/2 IM’s (unless I can find a shoe I’m completely comfortable in.)

What does everyone wear when they run sockless?

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: What shoes do you run sockless in and for what distance? [jeepguy2358] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoka Tracer

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: What shoes do you run sockless in and for what distance? [jeepguy2358] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saucony kinvara.
Any distance. Ironman Maryland most recently. No socks and no blisters or hot spots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Balance 1500T2, up to marathon distance but also sockless in most all running shoes i have like saucony, brooks, newton, 361’s, up to marathon distances. But not only in races, always train sockless as well, i don’t like socks with either running or biking.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: TRIPRO: Jan 1, 19 1:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sockless in the Newton Distance or Newton Kismet, at Sprint or Olympic distances.
For 70.3 or Ironman distance, I wear Hokas (Cliftons or Machs) and I slip on socks. On average, that takes all of 9 seconds longer. I think it's worth the trade off to learn how to don socks quickly, as that opens up a lot more shoe choices for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike frees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Launch 5. Before that I ran Newton.
Bad experience: ON. The heel was hard, not padded like the two mentioned above. Didn't even blister, just rubbed the skin off till it was bleeding, in less than 3 miles.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have found my limit without socks (in any runner) to be around 8km. So I put on socks for Olympic and longer.

The downside to wearing socks (other than the 10 secs it takes to put them on), is when you keep pouring water over your head at aid stations. Your shoes and socks get soaked and wet socks can cause blisters and general discomfort. I get around this by wearing good quality trail running socks that are designed to handle river crossings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used:

Zoot Ultra Kane
Zoot Ultra Kalani
Zoot ultra Kiawe
Zoot Trail TT (Xterra)

All sock less up to & including IM distance.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka Clifton. Sockless all the way up to 1/2 IM. Full IM always toe socks. Or I end up with terrible blisters between toes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 361 Kgm2.2 is seamless inside so should be good to run sockless in.

I reviewed it about a year ago.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zoom Makai. Max distance is 10K - Olympic. I start to:get chafing on my ankles at around the 6th mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn’t you choose your running shoes for relevant reasons, and not something that isn’t actually very important?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new balance fresh foam zante. I only go sockless for sprint and olympic. after that the few seconds to put on socks is not a dealbreaker for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run very long (up to 41mi) in a Topo shoe. There's something about their perfect toe-box width that allows me to go sans socks in total comfort. I prefer the 3-5mm drop shoes but you can see the line here: https://www.topoathletic.com/

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for New Balance 1500 T2, I run up to 1/2 marathons sockless never an issue. I do all my spring and summer training sockless as well, this may help condition my feet.
Quote Reply
Re: What shoes do you run sockless in and for what distance? [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobInOz wrote:
The downside to wearing socks (other than the 10 secs it takes to put them on), is when you keep pouring water over your head at aid stations. Your shoes and socks get soaked and wet socks can cause blisters and general discomfort. I get around this by wearing good quality trail running socks that are designed to handle river crossings.

So true, and a good suggestion. I only go sockless on sprints, and I'll wear Asics Gel Nimbus, which is far from an ideal sockless shoe. Otherwise Hoka Bondi's with slip on ankle socks for Olys and 70.3.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka Claytons for anything Oly or less.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skechers gorun line up to half. Very comfy
Quote Reply
Re: What shoes do you run sockless in and for what distance? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re Topo. I'm just looking at these. They've got a 6ish mm drop. But, you like them? Do they compare to any 'normal' shoe?

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: What shoes do you run sockless in and for what distance? [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Ultra early on (they also have a wide toe box) but all their shoes are zero drop and that's okay for me for 5k or even 10k but any longer and my lower legs get beaten up. Topo makes several shoes with both 3 and 5mm drop and all their toe boxes are so comforting. There not all that abnormal - a little more room in the toe area makes so much sense to me.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which among the above answers, if any, have zero drop?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 9, 19 10:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All my shoes, all the time. No jokes. Yes they stink like the strainings from the devils jockstrap, but I just leave outside.

You may find a blister or 2 on the first run or 2, but I have never had any issues with sore feet, my theory is it toughens up the skin up on your feet.
Quote Reply
Re: What shoes do you run sockless in and for what distance? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Which among the above answers, if any, have zero drop?
Not sure but mine will...

I run in Altras and all of their shoes are zero drop. Currently the Escalante for training and the Vanish-R for track/racing with speed laces.
Quote Reply
Re: What shoes do you run sockless in and for what distance? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was asking because I run in Altras (Escalante and Torin) but can’t imagine running sockless in them...is there a zero drop shoe with a comfortable upper that would allow for sockless running?
Quote Reply

Prev Next