Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What seat to try next....
Quote | Reply
So apparently my ass is picky so I've been on the hunt for a good saddle for a while now. I started with the stock saddle on my fuji roubaix and it just wasn't getting the job done, my ass hurt, my feet went numb etc. I switched to a forte striker saddle and the same thing kept happening so I went to a local bike shop and they recommended the bontrager arvada comp saddle. The arvada was a bit better but still facing a lot of the same issues. I decided to suck it up and go get a professional bike fit and see what they had to say. The fitter said my position was good and we initially tried a cobb max but that didn't feel right within five minutes so he threw on a cobb randee. The randee has been the best of the saddles so far, but after about 30 minutes on the trainer all the issues start to come back, numbness, etc. I'm wondering what direction I should go next? The fitter has test cobb saddles so is there another one in the line that I should try? Should I try an ism saddle? For reference this is for a road bike, not super aggressive position, just looking to be comfortable. I do about 80% of my riding indoors currently(hurry up warm weather).
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Fizik tritone 5.5 u could try.
9/10 condition.

If not that maybe a PN.3.0
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I have a Fizik tritone 5.5 u could try.
9/10 condition.

If not that maybe a PN.3.0
What do you mean try?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pm sent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobb JOF 55 and Ranger have both worked well for me outdoors. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to go much longer than an hour on the trainer. I demoed 10 or so saddles this winter and finally decided to order an Infinity Saddle. I figured my manly bits couldn’t hurt if they weren’t touching anything... and I was right. I had a 4.5 hour trainer ride last month and only minimal discomfort. They have a money back guarantee so it might be worth looking into. If you wanted a JOF 55 I think I have one floating around I’ve been meaning to toss up on the classifieds.
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Cobb JOF 55 and Ranger have both worked well for me outdoors. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to go much longer than an hour on the trainer. I demoed 10 or so saddles this winter and finally decided to order an Infinity Saddle. I figured my manly bits couldn’t hurt if they weren’t touching anything... and I was right. I had a 4.5 hour trainer ride last month and only minimal discomfort. They have a money back guarantee so it might be worth looking into. If you wanted a JOF 55 I think I have one floating around I’ve been meaning to toss up on the classifieds.

Are you using that Inifinity saddle on a roadie or tri bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just buy a Selle SMP. Use the charts, go with a minimal or standard padding at most.

If your feet are going numb, move your cleats towards the heel.
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it in my gravel bike but I know a lot of people use it for Ride Across America so I would think it would work for a Tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am literally going through the exact same process as you are right now, cleats slammed back helped. So far have tried Adamo Attack (idk what the new name is...Meh), Brontrager Montrose 138mm (Meh), Bontrager Arvada 148mm (ok...).

Did you have a measurement done during your bike fit to recommend a saddle width?

I have a Brooks Cambium C17 on another bike and like it, so I am going to try a Brooks Cambium C13 (158mm) and see where that gets me.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/c13-carved-158-1.html
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [MrPinochio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fizik Mistica Large or ISM PN 3.0 or Bi-Saddle

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try an SMP. If you can post a little about your personal profile (shape, weight, pants size, riding experience) I might be able to narrow down which one to try first.

For people who have challenges like yours in a road position I always give an SMP as shot and it often works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
The randee has been the best of the saddles so far, but after about 30 minutes on the trainer all the issues start to come back, numbness, etc. I'm wondering what direction I should go next?

Down.

Try lowering the Randee about a centimeter and see what that does, for better or worse. That will help inform us as to the next step.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
duganator99 wrote:
The randee has been the best of the saddles so far, but after about 30 minutes on the trainer all the issues start to come back, numbness, etc. I'm wondering what direction I should go next?

Down.

Try lowering the Randee about a centimeter and see what that does, for better or worse. That will help inform us as to the next step.
I'll try that tonight and see how it goes. I'll report back
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [Chris B.O.B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris B.O.B. wrote:
Try an SMP. If you can post a little about your personal profile (shape, weight, pants size, riding experience) I might be able to narrow down which one to try first.

For people who have challenges like yours in a road position I always give an SMP as shot and it often works.

5'10, 220(I'm in the process of losing weight, I know I'm fat. Down 45 pounds so far), 34" pants, been riding on and off for 10 years, longest ride is 126 miles. FTP of 300~, I currently bike about 60-100 miles per week.
Last edited by: duganator99: Mar 15, 19 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
So apparently my ass is picky so I've been on the hunt for a good saddle for a while now. I started with the stock saddle on my fuji roubaix and it just wasn't getting the job done, my ass hurt, my feet went numb etc. I switched to a forte striker saddle and the same thing kept happening so I went to a local bike shop and they recommended the bontrager arvada comp saddle. The arvada was a bit better but still facing a lot of the same issues. I decided to suck it up and go get a professional bike fit and see what they had to say. The fitter said my position was good and we initially tried a cobb max but that didn't feel right within five minutes so he threw on a cobb randee. The randee has been the best of the saddles so far, but after about 30 minutes on the trainer all the issues start to come back, numbness, etc. I'm wondering what direction I should go next? The fitter has test cobb saddles so is there another one in the line that I should try? Should I try an ism saddle? For reference this is for a road bike, not super aggressive position, just looking to be comfortable. I do about 80% of my riding indoors currently(hurry up warm weather).

I'll open and close with it could be you. Possibly nerve pain that won't be solved with a change of saddles.

The pudendal nerve originates from the lumbo-sacral plexus (L4-S4). It consists of both sensory fibers (80%) and motor fibers (20%). The pudendal nerve branches into 3 smaller nerves: Inferior rectal nerve: supplies the anal canal, peri-anal skin, rectum, and external anal sphincter.

For reference, I ride Fuji (roubaix and transonic) too.

I bought a Cobb Plus 2 and was a happy camper for a few years. Then I started to go numb during rides and would have pain down there after rides. Going numb felt better than the pain.

Had a Retul bike fit done. That helped in other ways; yet, did not relieve the pain.

Though I had a good saddle, I tried changing saddles with mixed results. Overall the problem got worse.

Finally figured out it was me. Worked out the nerve problem. Put the Cobb Plus 2 back on and I have been fine for several months.

In closing, it could be you and not the saddle. Or it could be you AND the saddle. Good luck.

Bought a Cobb

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
duganator99 wrote:

Down.

I rode for an hour on the trainer with it a cm lower and it didn't seem to help much :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installed my Brooks Cambium C13 Carved last night and immediately did a warm-up/ramp test/cool down for about an 1.5 hr total ride. Never even thought about my saddle or even adjusting it. No discomfort or pain and most importantly no 'hot spots' after the ride.

This would be my recommendation. I went through two widths before settling on the 158 width and used Amazon for hassle free returns.

Do you know what your saddle width range is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An outside the box idea... you might want to try putting your bike on a rocker plate (or at lease the trainer on really thick matts)

A bike fixed on a trainer is very rigid and doesn't move in the same way that a bike does on the road.

There is a pretty robust facebook group that discusses building these. (You can make a basic plate with a couple of pieces of plywood and a couple tennis balls ... or you can get into pillow blocks and linear rails)

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a bunch of different saddles and I have been able to do 4 hour indoor rides on my Cobb 55 JOF. I sure hope you get to the bottom of it...that just sucks!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: What seat to try next.... [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I tried a bunch of different saddles and I have been able to do 4 hour indoor rides on my Cobb 55 JOF. I sure hope you get to the bottom of it...that just sucks!
Funny you mention that, the fitter gave me a 55 jof to try today so we'll see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crossing my fingers for you.....

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply