Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019?
Quote | Reply
other than ironman or anything that's been going on for awhile. unless it's a new ironman that's distinctive in some special way.

what is going on out there in multisportland that's NEW, and that you think is really cool? and that your friends (and slowtwitchers) need to know about? by NEW i mean either brand new, a new race, or a race that's a year or two or three old that is really catching on. and tell me why it's SPECIAL. why it's DIFFERENT. why i should be as excited as you are.

might i also say that if you don't have this race on your calendar - whatever it is - then one point of this exercise is to let you know about it (because you don't know this race exists) or to get you off your petootie to enter this race that you know this wave is sitting out there waiting to be surfed by you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge Daytona, Dec 15th

Something pretty slick about your first bike lap on a NASCAR track and the bike course (admittedly axed because of weather this year) is among the best riding in Florida (in my opinion). 2nd year of the race; I believe they signed for a 3 year guarantee. Makes for a longer season but ymmv.
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
American Triple T!

First time doing this event and very excited/scared!

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM 70.3 Traverse City - first year event in a fantastic location. I love going to first year IM and IM 70.3 events around the USA. It's always interesting to see how each community comes out and supports these new events. Having grown up in Michigan and spending a few summer weekends up in TC, I'm looking forward to a GREAT first year event. Z
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
IM 70.3 Traverse City - first year event in a fantastic location. I love going to first year IM and IM 70.3 events around the USA. It's always interesting to see how each community comes out and supports these new events. Having grown up in Michigan and spending a few summer weekends up in TC, I'm looking forward to a GREAT first year event. Z

you are RACING this race, big man? ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFluid wrote:

Something pretty slick about your first bike lap on a NASCAR track and the bike course (admittedly axed because of weather this year) is among the best riding in Florida (in my opinion). 2nd year of the race; I believe they signed for a 3 year guarantee. Makes for a longer season but ymmv.

If they would move the entire bike course on the track, I'd be there in a heart beat. Fly-by-night at Watkins Glen on May 4'th has the entire bike on the track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching the upcoming season of Super League Triathlon

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
TriFluid wrote:

If they would move the entire bike course on the track, I'd be there in a heart beat. Fly-by-night at Watkins Glen on May 4'th has the entire bike on the track.

we have some tracks by us. willow springs raceway. (i have some contacts there.) and private tracks. massive ovals. like 5 miles around. honda proving center. hyundai proving grounds. it didn't occur to me that the US might do something like they do at nurburgring. i wonder if that would be something to investigate.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoping to get into Dirty Kanza 50 in June. And a new gravel race in MidTN in September (from what I hear).

Actually, I'm just looking forward to racing. Only 1 race in 2018.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Dec 31, 18 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
TriFluid wrote:

we have some tracks by us. willow springs raceway. (i have some contacts there.) and private tracks. massive ovals. like 5 miles around. honda proving center. hyundai proving grounds. it didn't occur to me that the US might do something like they do at nurburgring. i wonder if that would be something to investigate.

Imagine some triathletes going down the corkscrew at Laguna Seca!

Yes, ToC has raced there two years, and you can bike there every year, but they don't have the bike "handling" skills of triathletes :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super League, ITU, and the unfolding of this Olympic cycle.

Roth and Kona.

The growth and leveling up of SwimRun

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

I would love to do the Fly-by-Night race. It's a 6+ hour drive from Boston. I haven't totally ruled it out, yet, but the limiter will be a healthy right knee.

If my knee heals, I'd love to do ITU Bermuda again.

burned out on multisport this year (15+ races) so I'm cutting back in 2019. I fell in love with cyclocross this past Autumn. I'm looking forward to a lot of those next year.
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Roth and Kona.

that's good. thanks. and, not just to you, eric, but to a lot of you answering - because i see the tack this thread is taking - what i'm interested in is what SPECIFIC race you're looking at competing in YOURSELF that probably didn't exist 5 years ago, and probably didn't exist 2 years ago. that is unique, or that has a unique element to it.

i'm very bullish on multisport right now. more than i have been in a long time. but, i'm bullish for the multisport events i don't see yet. i think we're on the cusp of a renewal in the sport; i think i see an eagerness in the end-user i haven't see in the last 5 years; but i also think the enthusiast is looking for the next expression of the sport. what i want is to crowdsource some insight into the next expression, with you being the crowd from which i'm sourcing.

so. tell me what i don't know. tell me what's cool that's going on that is too small for my radar to have picked it up.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM70.3 Sables D'Olonnes
New for 2019
First IM in west of France, in Atlantic Ocean (Aix, Nice, Vichy in East / South East).
Fully booked in less than 2 month, clearly showing some expectations in this area...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that "new" but I'm signed up for the Breck Epic this year. Personally I'd love to see a triathlon "stage race". There are a few out there now but I think with a bit of creativity... especially with gravel/mtb... you could create something truly memorable. Think Swim Run NC but spread out over a few days with gravel or mtb thrown in.
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
It's not that "new" but I'm signed up for the Breck Epic this year. Personally I'd love to see a triathlon "stage race". There are a few out there now but I think with a bit of creativity... especially with gravel/mtb... you could create something truly memorable. Think Swim Run NC but spread out over a few days with gravel or mtb thrown in.

i think that sounds great. bear in mind that life time bought DK, and ironman tried to buy breck epic. it may say something about where the momentum is.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not new, but the wife and I are doing Wildflower, should be a blast. Pray for rain!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [J.Thompson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J.Thompson wrote:
Not new, but the wife and I are doing Wildflower, should be a blast. Pray for rain!!!!

monty and i will be there. it's been at 685' above sea level for the last few months. it's 20 feet higher than necessary to hold the swim in hits historic spot, with most of the rainy season in front of us. so i'm cautiously optimistic.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really new, but out of the cookie cutter mold of typical multisport races... I have signed up for:

American Zofingen middle distance: (5 legs in total)
SOS triathlon (err SwimRun with a bike ride first!)

Am also fantasizing of the idea of doing the Rim to Rim to Rim run with a friend (an experienced ultra runner)

Would also do a gravel triathlon if there was one in my vicinity...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwimRun Fogo Island. Ok so it doesn’t exist but I’d love to see it someday.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triple T and Traverse City 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am gonna try to get into DK200 this year, I'll also do Eagleman

Would like to see more offroad tri being offered. Would much rather train on fire roads and trails then getting buzzed by cars at 60 mph.

logistically i just dont see most tri people dropping money on another bike for it though.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just registered for the inaugural SOS Cape Cod, really looking forward to the format and location.

Also stoked for my second crack at Xterra French River this summer. I really want to do a couple more Xterra's this season but it seems like the east coast races are disappearing quickly.

Thinking about a couple pure MTB races - maybe the MTB division of the Black Fly Challenge in the Adirondacks and/or the Landmine Classic here in MA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Roth and Kona.

that's good. thanks. and, not just to you, eric, but to a lot of you answering - because i see the tack this thread is taking - what i'm interested in is what SPECIFIC race you're looking at competing in YOURSELF that probably didn't exist 5 years ago, and probably didn't exist 2 years ago. that is unique, or that has a unique element to it.

i'm very bullish on multisport right now. more than i have been in a long time. but, i'm bullish for the multisport events i don't see yet. i think we're on the cusp of a renewal in the sport; i think i see an eagerness in the end-user i haven't see in the last 5 years; but i also think the enthusiast is looking for the next expression of the sport. what i want is to crowdsource some insight into the next expression, with you being the crowd from which i'm sourcing.

so. tell me what i don't know. tell me what's cool that's going on that is too small for my radar to have picked it up.

Playing off the Super League format:

I'm looking forward to how this race goes in NC "Time Trial @ River Lights"
https://www.setupevents.com/nc-tri

The Time Trial @ RiverLights will consist off three race segments; a swim, a bike, and a run.
There will be no transitions.
Participants will have between 30 - 45 minutes rest between each segment.
The starting procedure for each segment will be an individual time trial (rolling) start.
Participants will begin each segment in the same order (based on race bib number)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 31, 18 14:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not new but going back to Roth again.
Assault on Mt Mitchell (road) & Off road assault on Mt .Mitchell.
Quote Reply

Prev Next