Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What purpose does a rear entry drop out serve on a 650c
Quote | Reply

I was looking into the purchase of the QR Typhoon prior to Mr. Empfield's bike review in Triathlete magazine. I was advised by QR that the 700c frame is only for distribution in the UK and I would have to special order a 700c frame if I wanted it in the 51 or 53cm size. I rode a Kestrel 4000 for 15 years having purchased one of Kestrels first bikes. I loved this bike, but it was time to get a new bike. I was told by a good many folks that I should not go with a 650 size bike even though everything I read indicated that is what bike I should get. I considered a KM-40 but I have a short torso and longer legs and was told the top tube was too long for me (even though I was treated very well b Kestrel). I love the ride of carbon and did not fear it breaking as I had owned a carbon bike for many, many years. I then decided on a Typhoon and actually was able to ride a 53 cm 2003 typhoon in the 650 wheel size but did not want to make the final decision on this expensive of a bike until I got the final word. The 650 bike rode well and fit ok but was not nearly as comfortable as my old 4000. In the article Dan mentions only the 700c typhoon. Was this intentional or does your review apply to the 650 as well? The 650 obviously does not have the cut out for the rear wheel as it has smaller wheels and does not need this cut out to attain the 78 degree geometry. This also renders the rear drop outs in my opinion useless as the wheel is still a good distance from the frame even at its closest setting. Please help me in this decision as I am not a rich man and tend to keep my bikes for a long time...I do not mind spending the money if it is worth it. I will order a custom 700 bike if that is the best bike; however, if the 650 is already the right fit then I am set.

Thanks,

Greg

height: 5'7"
Inseam:82cm
thigh:40cm
torso:56.5cm
weight:145
races: short - ironman...mostly flat

Last edited by: Greg Hartman: Feb 20, 03 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: QR Typhoon 700c vs 650c [Greg Hartman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, good for you for having an understanding of the dynamics and principles of wheel size on bike fit- you move to the front of the class for that alone. Second: buy the bike that fits. If you know 700s don't work for you (they don't for me either- I've tried many times going against the measurements) get the 650cs. Don't compromise fit. You'll regret it. I just boght a 650c road bike and tri bike from Yaqui, mostly becasue they were the best fit for me- and becasue Ves makes a killer bike (on time too!).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: QR Typhoon 700c vs 650c [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Thanks for the kind words. My main thought is if the 650 fits ok/good will a custom fit 700c fit better? Chig Martin of QR indicated he did not think he could get the 700 to fit better but that in going with a 700c custom their were a couple things that could be tweeked..but not much.

Greg
Quote Reply
Re: QR Typhoon 700c vs 650c [Greg Hartman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg, no matter how you had your Kestrel 4000 set up, standard or forward seatpost, that bike will feel extremely DIFFERENT than the QR. Your weight distribution will be different, causing different "feel" to the bike. Be very careful that you aren't confusing "feel" with comfort, especially if you haven't been adapted to a position. What may feel weird or awkward today on the QR, may in fact end up being much more comfortable in the long run than even your trusted Kestrel 4000.

I had a similar issue with buying a stock 53cm Saber 650 or custom 53cm 700. My main beef was having to buy new 650 race wheels when I already had 3 different sets in 700. In the end I wound up on the 650. It fits well, and the handling feels completely stable and well balanced. No doubt the 700 would have fit as well, but would have had a very different feel to it, despite my position in the cockpit being the same.
Quote Reply
Re: QR Typhoon 700c vs 650c [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true and I agree with all your coments. I had the seat in a very forward position. I too was not pleased at the concept of getting rid of my 909s and kyseriums; however, I have a number of friends lining up to snatch these from me if I go with the 650 Typhoon. I understand Dan Empfield indicates that if the bike is good and fits right you can not tell the difference between aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber. Inside Triathlons buyers guide lists Titanium and aluminum as being more comfortable then Carbon, which I believe is totally untrue as my experience is that the titanium bikes I have tried are not as comfortable as carbon fiber (my old 4000). I will note that the kestrel Talon isn't as comfortable as the 4000 either though.

Greg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Can you answer a couple of questions?

1. Why have a rear entry drop out like the 700c frame when the 650c wheel is miles away from the frame. It serves no purpose.

2. Why does everyone advertise this bike as being available in the 700c size for 51 and 53 cm when it is only availale in the Uk. Also if they make the size for the brits why can't we get the same thing here?

3. You and many other bike shops are evaluated by others for their customer service; however, no one has ever run a survey on bike manufacturers and other bike companies as to how they deal with customers. I can tell you for a fact that I have been treated very well by Kestrel and QR and very poorly by Zipp. I feel that most companies would welcome a survey to determine if they are lacking in customer service and most customers wouldn't mind shelling out a couple extra bucks to those companies who have good relationships and stand behind their product.

Greg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, could you provide some details regarding the 650 road bike you bought? (650 is definitely the fit for this short guy) I've been looking for such a beast and would appreciate knowing what model, etc. you got from Yaqui.

Thanks,

Brent
Quote Reply