Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable?
Quote | Reply
What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? The following are three I've encountered.

1. Tilted Head
I always used to breath on the right during my swims, then I started having the sensation during the day that my head was tilted to one side. I now alternate between laps to breath on the right, on the left, and bilaterally.

2. Poor Posture
Several people have commented to me that I seem stooped over. This is possibly due to spending hours on the bike in the aero position. It also might be due to exercising the abdominal muscles more than the back muscles. I attended a training class in which the coach advised that I start doing strength training to strengthen my back muscles to help correct my posture.

3. Loss of Sex Drive
I've heard several athletes comment about this, and I've experienced myself. Tim Reed has a blog post about it < http://timreed.com.au/...ive-guided-training/ >.
Last edited by: 2old&2slow: Mar 4, 20 1:43
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [2old&2slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes, I feel the need to get a mustache and wear aviators
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [2old&2slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enormous quads with huge anaerobic power that's next to useless in a TT!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my hamstrings are so tight you could play a tune on them. running is great for lots of things, but flexibility ain't one of them.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I wake up to pee 3 times every night, I no longer struggle with a boner during the process.
Silver linings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting link for number 3. Really interesting
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
my hamstrings are so tight you could play a tune on them. running is great for lots of things, but flexibility ain't one of them.
truth.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It makes my butt too small
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go from skinny to "Are you ok?" skinny.

See your bike fit. https://bikefitr.appspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need way more sleep to function, like 10hrs/night. Which is just inconvenient.

Toenails look like they've been hit with hammers,
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Need way more sleep to function, like 10hrs/night. Which is just inconvenient.

Ever gotten a pedicure? I'm considering it but it would be like polishing a turd

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [Stubob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stubob wrote:
I go from skinny to "Are you ok?" skinny.

The following is now required, since you brought it up

Quote:
the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
It makes my butt too small

D'Wife has said this, so I've incorporated squats, deadlifts & lunges into my routine and I think it's helped both aesthetically and with ...

iron_mike wrote:

When I was actively doing triathlon, I was looking pretty fit ... from the neck down: nice shoulders, full chest, flat tummy, quadzillas, softball-sized calves

But my face was so drawn & ghoulsih. Plus, I looked tired all the time

In other words, I was right at "race weight"

Last edited by: RandMart: Mar 4, 20 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Far and away for me is the battling postworkout fatigue during the busy workday. I'm a high energy person to begin with, but I'm not gonna lie - serious triathlon training, definitely takes a big chunk of my daily energy away. But that's no surprise for anyone pushing their boundaries.
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you wake up before Dawn to run, you have to wait 12-14 hours for that post-workout beer

Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:

Ever gotten a pedicure? I'm considering it but it would be like polishing a turd

I've heard of ultramarathoners who simply had them removed completely

Last edited by: RandMart: Mar 4, 20 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hamstrings and calves so tight I’m doing the penguin walk for a few minutes each morning until they loosen up.

Comical tan lines.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, guilty minus the aviators.

when i need to get focused or motivated the mustache comes out. I dont think its undesirable, but everyone else likes to pretend it is (even though i secretly think all girls love the stache).

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hair is glossy white blond, and pretty much destroyed by chlorine. Not complaining, it would otherwise be grey. Also not complaining about the mega hold properties of it... with no hair spray or gel required.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

This. Dear God, this.

I've started stretching most nights because of running. Nothing crazy, but 15-20 minutes focusing mainly on hamstrings, hips, glutes and pecs. Wife does it too, and it has actually turned in to a nice part of our evening routine. It's really relaxing.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
My hair is glossy white blond, and pretty much destroyed by chlorine. Not complaining, it would otherwise be grey. Also not complaining about the mega hold properties of it... with no hair spray or gel required.

Mine has gone yellow. It seems to be a reaction between the chlorine and the Rogaine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
increased susceptibility to upper respiratory infections

Some years, I get lucky, and I get only three colds from October to the following May. Other years, it exceeded five.

And that's with attention to hand washing, eating sufficient fruits and veggies, etc etc.

The two years when I couldn't train as hard (due to injury), I got a total of three bouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low resting HR and low resting blood pressure = dizzy spells whenever I stand up too fast.
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marlonius wrote:
Low resting HR and low resting blood pressure = dizzy spells whenever I stand up too fast.

I get this too omg

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: What physiological changes due to training do you notice that are not necessarily desirable? [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marlonius wrote:

Amen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next