Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes?
Quote | Reply
Trying to convince the wife I'm not totally crazy, just curious what percentage of your income is the total of the bikes in your house.
Last edited by: duganator99: Feb 10, 21 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean the sum of all the current bikes/equipment in the house? Or my yearly spending allowance on bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your wording has changed between the topic and the question in the thread.

If you are asking what is the replacement cost of the stable (ie, all bikes owned, as a % of yearly income), then I would be sitting around 33%

If you are asking how much gets spent on bikes a year in the household, then that works out to be around 5% of my yearly income (A bit more if you include her bikes, but I am not including her income in these calculations)
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JStirfry wrote:
Do you mean the sum of all the current bikes/equipment in the house? Or my yearly spending allowance on bikes?
Sum of all, I realized I worded that second part poorly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha.

Sum of all bikes/wheels sits around 60% to 70%.

Notes:
  • We have 5 people in family and each has multiple bikes (although I am main driver of the obsession)
  • Bikes collected and kept since 2006 (start of addiction)
  • This is based on my salary (gross) only
  • My car is worth less than my bike

*Edit*: You just need to convince your wife to get on the crazy train as I did.
Last edited by: JStirfry: Feb 10, 21 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.3%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replacement cost of bikes I have with me on a months long work trip, 20%.
Replacement cost of all bikes/wheels I own 60%.
N+1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
Trying to convince the wife I'm not totally crazy, just curious what percentage of your income is the total of the bikes in your house.

Net income ? Or gross ?
Ie before or after tax, company pension payments (that are taken at source) etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
replacement cost ~3%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of mine are getting old so wouldn't be worth much now, and even the replacement cost for equivalent new bikes would only be around 2.5 to 4% depending on if my business has a good year or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm being generous about the current value of my 2 circa 2009-10 bikes AND including the prices of 2 Favero Assioma powertap pedals AND my wheels, it works out to 0.6%. And even lower than that in reality as I'm not even including my working wife's income. And I still think my Cervelo P2c was a friggin' expensive bike when I bought it!

And FWIW, i think that's a terrible metric, as bikes cost a lot up front, but if you ride them for a long time the cost of the purchase averages out over time. STill, no denying that bike upkeep and repair can be quite expensive!

When I first bought that Cervelo P2c and was making a LOT less money, it was a good 8% of my annual PREtax income. It really hurt the wallet back then!

Replacement cost if I had to totally replace my bikes with new current-gen TT and road bike, about 2-3% of annual, like Madtri posted above.

To my credit, I've kept my triathlon expenses really stable despite making a lot more money in the intervening years. Sounds good in principle, but even I admit it looks completely stupid in terms of being a needless cheapskate at the current moment. Still, no superbike for me - I'm realistic where the fun is to be had, and the superbike isn't it!

You don't even wanna ask how much my wife's ballroom dance coaching costs....
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 10, 21 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purchase price of 7 bikes (3 mine, 2 wife's, and 1 per kid) divided by gross income = around 0.5%.

She was the last to get a new one.....soooooo sounds like I'm totally due for a $4k gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:
Purchase price of 7 bikes (3 mine, 2 wife's, and 1 per kid) divided by gross income = around 0.5%.

She was the last to get a new one.....soooooo sounds like I'm totally due for a $4k gravel bike.

If you make over 1M a year you should be allowed to buy a 4k gravel bike whenever you feel like it ;)
Last edited by: JStirfry: Feb 10, 21 16:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JStirfry wrote:
DV8R wrote:

If you make over 1M a year you should be allowed to buy a 4k gravel bike whenever you feel like it ;)

I was off by a factor of 10. It comes to about 5%, lol oops
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My comment still stands; get the gravel bike ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere between 40% and 50%, if you're talking about full retail/replacement value. However, I work in the industry, so most of what I have was either free or well below cost...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Original purchase price would be right around 10% but my most expensive bikes are 5+ years old. Current value would be less than 5%

I'm not counting my wife's ebike but I'm not counting her income either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were to put my 2 bikes on Craigslist, 1.5%. If I were to purchase the equivalent brand new version of my old bikes ... 3.5%.

Quote | Reply
about 30,000X

I've been unemployed for the past 14 months and I still have 8 bikes, including an OPEN, three Cervelo's and a custom steel and carbon fiber Serotta. I actually bought the newest Cervelo while I have been unemployed (too good of a deal to pass up, early 2020 before the COVID, when you could actually still get bikes and at a discount).

So tell your wife you are being totally reasonable;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a horrible question

When I added up new purchase price of all my bikes it’s about 13%

TT, road, gravel, mountain ... dont feel thaaaaat unreasonable ;)
Quote Reply
Re: What percentage of your yearly income do you currently own in bikes? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right at 5%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not including family, speaking strictly to my bikes and wheels: 1.4%

I'm a very budget triathlete though. Private school tuition is a mf-er.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MSRP, what I actually paid, or replacement cost? (I'm not one to buy new...)

And do I include honey's bike I bought for her? (THAT was a helluva deal!)

And should wheels and powermeters be added in?

Bikes only: 6.8% [What I paid] 19.67% [MSRP]
+Honey's: 8.8% [What I paid] 31.2% [MSRP]
+wheels & PM: 10.4% [What I paid] 33.2% [MSRP]

...And looking to buy another... You need more bikes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replacement cost of my stable including wheels and trainer would be roughly 20% of my salary or 11% of our household income.

That's price to replace all items in new condition at current market rates. I paid quite a bit less than that by finding a few killer deals, but I've spent quite a bit on consumables over the years.

ETA: At one point I had a spreadsheet of all the money I spent and included how many hours I spent on each bike so I could see cost/hour ridden. Most bikes were around the $7.50-$10 mark.
Last edited by: bearlyfinish: Feb 10, 21 20:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:

7 bikes at 4k each is 0.5% of yearly salary... backdoor brag much!?
Quote Reply

Prev Next