Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What other hobbies do you have beside tri?
Quote | Reply
Was just wondering what everyone else does on this boar when they are not swimming, biking or running.

Though its hard to do anything else during race season I also surf and race enduro and hare scrambles.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Last edited by: surfNJmatt: Aug 25, 15 16:40
Quote Reply
Re: What other hobbies do you have beside tri? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I have time to jerk it once or twice a week, I'm pretty stoked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drinking beer, taking photos.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading, but I don't have as much time as I'd like so I'll go with listening to audiobooks...while I train.

And beer. I live in Beer City, USA, it would be unpatriotic for me to not drink beer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I attempt extensive repair work to my family life and marriage... with varying degrees of success....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand the question....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before my daughter arrived, I kayaked and hiked/backpacked. I also enjoyed hitting antique shows/shops and seeing what I could find. Nowadays, with childcare, I spend most of my free time (mainly evenings) trying to squeeze in workouts. We took a few days vacation in Lake Placid this week and I got a chance to try SUP out on Mirror lake. That was kind of fun. Of course, they still had the swim course set-up out in the lake, so I just HAD to go out one morning and swim the entire 2.4 mile Ironman swim. I mean I was staying on a hotel right there on the lake. Why not? It was one of the highlights of the vacation. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Was just wondering what everyone else does on this boar when they are not swimming, biking or running.

Though its hard to do anything else during race season I also surf and race enduro and hare scrambles.

Some of us (and this will probably be hard to believe) actually have jobs.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What other hobbies do you have beside tri? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

Some of us (and this will probably be hard to believe) actually have jobs.

Im sure we all have jobs, I know I surely do.

I was speaking about things we do for fun.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mountain biking I guess could be considered a separate hobby? I try and hit the trails at least once a week, but I kind of consider it part of training - just way more fun!! I schedule a mountain bike ride for an easy day, when I just do a couple of hours easy, or sometimes I do a 4 hr ride at the weekend and hit the climbs a bit harder. I'm also pretty lucky in that I have 120km of purpose built technical single track built into 3 hills with 350m of elevation only a 45min drive from home. Before tri I used to kitesurf, snowboard and rock climb, and if I had more time I'd still do all of those things. Sadly work gets in the way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Sleeping :-)

... reading, learning a second language, sewing patchwork quilts, and board/card games

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fly small planes. Hike in Cascades. (Check this out.) Travel whenever I can. Surf badly. Beach bum it in Cali or Hawaii whenever I can. That's probably my favorite thing after tri: beach, sun, surf, women in bikinis, warm sand under my feet. I play video games. Dota 2, Fallout, Elder Scrolls. I'm making a solar powered robot rover thing, from scratch powered by Arduino. Would like to send it to Mars if I could. Radio stuff. Especially SDR lately. Thinking of rescuing someone's ye olde 12 foot TV dish rotting in a back yard and turning it into a radio telescope. I have an optical telescope, a little 6" diameter, but I hardly get to use it. Light pollution here is nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: What other hobbies do you have beside tri? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

If only there was time in the week for that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I play rock 'n roll, but not nearly as much as I used to! Recently most shows have been October-April, which keeps me married.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winning 12-inch home run hitting contests (well up until a couple of years ago). Man do I miss it sometimes!!
Quote Reply
Re: What other hobbies do you have beside tri? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

... reading, learning a second language, sewing patchwork quilts, and board/card games

Don't forget The Lavender Room!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been studying jazz guitar and playing guitar in general since I was 5. I love to play stringed instruments - guitar, bass, mandolin, dobro.

I also enjoy fishing, kayaking, and sports other than tri, ie pickup basketball or football.

I do find it difficult to find energy for other "active" activities when I'm training hard. Whereas music allows me to put my feet up and relax, it's a great mental break for me!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classical guitar, been playing it for over 10 years. Recently studying music theory for the 8th grade exam.
Quote Reply
Re: What other hobbies do you have beside tri? [JohnHK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
polishing the guns, to remind any potential suitors I mean 9 pm sharp (or practicing for said conversation), I occasionally throw myself out of planes - I tell myself I am doing comparison work of wind resistance, trying hard to find the optimum body position. Really hard to do with a 25lb brick on your back.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kayaking, water-skiing, rock-climbing/bouldering. Used to like playing video/computer games as a way to de-stress, but never play them anymore

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
working on my golf game recently. Its very fun and I've found its helped my mental strategy/tactics quite a bit. Golf now is a blessign for deals as well.. so not that expensive for a college student/coach/athlete. Good stuff

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: What other hobbies do you have beside tri? [ddalzell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in school for my PhD so as the semester begins while I'm not racing or on the bike, it'll probably be me reading some book or journal and constantly re-reading the same paper to see if I can make a logical statement so I can pass the class.

Aside from cycling, I like to hike with the wife and play video games. I guess since I don't swim or run anymore *minus some cross training here and there* I can have two extra hobbies unlike you schmucks ;).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Politics. I run campaigns with the regional branch of a political party I'm affiliated. It's a lot like triathlon - doing 20 hours per week on top of work in order to win some race, studying the research for marginal gains, and a bit of physical activity (doors don't knock themselves).

I decided I needed to do something slightly healthier.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shoot things. Before I raced, I shot a lot more things.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

Working. Family. Eating. Sleeping.

In that order of priority.
Quote Reply

Prev Next