Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What makes latex tubes faster than rubber tubes?
Quote | Reply
I am buying new tubes for my bike. I keep seeing "Latex will save you 5W".

I am curious by this, as the tubes themselves aren't making contact with the road, nor are they a mechanical part. What makes them faster?
Quote Reply
Re: What makes latex tubes faster than rubber tubes? [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What makes latex tubes faster than rubber tubes? [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lifejustice wrote:

I am curious by this, as the tubes themselves aren't making contact with the road, nor are they a mechanical part. What makes them faster?
It's not contact with the road that matters. It's efficiency in energy required to deform and/or energy returned when shape is restored. The tube deforms just as the tyre does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't even need to leave ST:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/What_s_in_a_tube__1034.html

Short answer: hysteresis
Quote Reply
Re: What makes latex tubes faster than rubber tubes? [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 watts per wheel! That’s insane!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What makes latex tubes faster than rubber tubes? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, are latex tubes actually latex? That is, can someone with a latex allergy use them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lifejustice wrote:

More like 1.5 watts each, or 3 watts for the pair. But 3 watts is 3 watts!

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: What makes latex tubes faster than rubber tubes? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
lifejustice wrote:

More like 1.5 watts each, or 3 watts for the pair. But 3 watts is 3 watts!

I typically see ~3W per tire "road equivalent" power between butyl and latex tubes in a low Crr tire. Al Morrison recorded ~the same.

Jarno's (BRR) testing results aren't translated into "flat surface equivalent on typical road roughness" values. They're just the raw values for the particular drum size and surface roughness (relatively smooth diamond plate) used in his fixture.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply