Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What makes Daniela Ryf so good?
Quote | Reply
Really impressed not only by today's performance but also last few races. Only Lucy Charles could hold the bike section today with Daniela. Although over the full 180km Lucy is not there yet I think.
She has definitely figured out the secrets of tri including nutrician and mental.
So what makes Daniela so good?
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long till this thread gets locked?
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
How long till this thread gets locked?

Well the Froome one's reached posts into there hundreds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read the article I posted from Jodie Cunnama. It's her mental game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
Only Lucy Charles could hold the bike section today with Daniela. Although over the full 180km Lucy is not there yet I think.

Lucy Charles was about 30 seconds behind Ryf off the bike last year in Kona.

Ryf is a front pack swimmer, the best cyclist by far, and one of the top runners. That's why she's the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably some designer PED's that aren't tested for right now. I don't trust anyone that is that head and shoulders above the rest of the field.
Last edited by: MBaier: Sep 1, 18 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
Probably some designer PED's that aren't tested for right now. I don't trust anyone that is that head and shoulders above the rest of the field.

That didn't take long, and not at al subtle!
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:

Well watching sport must be fun for you then.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Read the article I posted from Jodie Cunnama. It's her mental game.

“What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?”

Ha! Good one.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
MBaier wrote:

That didn't take long, and not at al subtle!

that person's life on slowtwitch lasted 4 posts. i'm leaving this up as an indication of where we draw lines here. do you have credible proof for your accusation? then fine. post your post, along with your proof. otherwise? take it to your own facebook or twitter account.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She’s got Lionel Sanders’ natural talent plus a good coach whose plan she trusts. Not pink

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
She’s got Lionel Sanders’ natural talent plus a good coach whose plan she trusts. Not pink

I think that's probably about right.

Particularly for a sport of triathlon (not so many people in the world have access to swimming and cycling), the idea that the individuals on the planet with the best potential for a given sport are definitely doing it, and well coached, is not guaranteed by a long shot. So I believe the is plenty of room for standout and dominant performance.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have said Chrissie Wellington's talent and the same drive. Not to take away anything from Sanders. I wonder how long Danielle can stay with her coach?
She truly seems unbeatable right now. But like Frodeno at Kona last year, even the great ones are beatable on any given day.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen brother!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett Sutton.

He took her out of ITU when he recognised that she would never be a player at ITU but could dominate long distance. He sees talent and knows how to nurture it into crushing winners.

Looks like he has also learned his lesson about burning athletes careers out, and is resting this one from time to time to turn her into a legend. Failing injury - you cannot see that pairing doing anything other than dominating for the next few years.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Keeping the discussion politically correct! :-)

Great overall back-ground in triathlon. Recognized early on, perhaps with some direction and help from Sutton, that ITU racing would never be her thing - in terms of BIG wins (WTS, World Championships, Olympic Games)

A great long course horse - Swims/cycles/runs - with great balance. No weakness really, Used to be a bit vulnerable on the run, but that's been corrected and worked on.

Has been at the game for a while now, so a HUGE base of fitness and experience = a great deal of confidence.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 1, 18 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Brett Sutton.

He took her out of ITU when he recognised that she would never be a player at ITU but could dominate long distance. He sees talent and knows how to nurture it into crushing winners.

Looks like he has also learned his lesson about burning athletes careers out, and is resting this one from time to time to turn her into a legend. Failing injury - you cannot see that pairing doing anything other than dominating for the next few years.

Is the right answer! Apart from the last bit, I reckon Lucy Charles will be pushing her very close next year.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. My coach spent three days with Sutton watching Ryf in action a few weeks ago. He trained under Sutton when Wellington was there and he was blown away by Ryf. His message to me was something along the lines of she has the strength of a man, the body fat of a man and Brett has to hold her back or she would kill herself training... Last year she spent all year injured or not at 100% but I'm looking forward to Kona and seeing what she can really do.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the sense she simply only cares about triathlon and being her best. Chrissie wanted more, Rinny wanted a family, Daniella seems almost robotic in her dedication. That coupled with her gifted talent is hard to overcome.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good. Innocent until proven guilty. I am glad you have this policy.

There is a certain arrogance that comes with the belief that anybody with more impressive results than my own must be doing something illicit. My assumption is that they are more talented or work harder (likely both).

Happier in my naivety.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [fisherman76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fisherman76 wrote:
I get the sense she simply only cares about triathlon and being her best. Chrissie wanted more, Rinny wanted a family, Daniella seems almost robotic in her dedication. That coupled with her gifted talent is hard to overcome.
I was thinking along the same lines - incredible talent and work ethic but it also seems like that is what her entire life is about (for now). Which is obviously not at all wrong as long as she doesn't get burned out - it's indeed like other top women have goals and hobbies and a more visible/public life outside triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Keeping the discussion politically correct! :-)

Great overall back-ground in triathlon. Recognized early on, perhaps with some direction and help from Sutton, that ITU racing would never be her thing - in terms of BIG wins (WTS, World Championships, Olympic Games)

A great long course horse - Swims/cycles/runs - with great balance. No weakness really, Used to be a bit vulnerable on the run, but that's been corrected and worked on.

Has been at the game for a while now, so a HUGE base of fitness and experience = a great deal of confidence.

As usual, you are all over it. Daniela has been at this forever. She's been amazing last year and spent most of the year injured. She's been training her butt off on the bike with James Cuunama - 5th in Kona last year - and holding her own for forever. She came to Sutton with far superior skills to Chrissie (like...the girl can ride a bike technically) and she's a physical specimen to boot.

I hate to think that she's done anything wrong - and I truly don't think she has. I don't see her as the power seeking type - more just wanting to find her boundaries and realizing she can push women's sport to another level.

Her performances to the men are similar to PNF with her 11th place 9:01:01 or Chrissie being 4th overall. Incredible performances.

In relation to Sutton...if his athletes were 1-5 at every major championship every time - fine...let's get him. But Spirig - LONG term development - Chrissie seemed to be an outlier - Ryf has been at this forever. We always say consistency is key - well this is consistency in methods and development and in my world at least - this is fun to watch. She's absolutely incredible at what she has accomplished.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: What makes Daniela Ryf so good? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking along the same lines - incredible talent and work ethic but it also seems like that is what her entire life is about (for now). Which is obviously not at all wrong as long as she doesn't get burned out - it's indeed like other top women have goals and hobbies and a more visible/public life outside triathlon. //

Its funny to see you all speculate about her triathlon only life. I can guarantee you that she doesnt spend any more time at training than any of the other 100 pros that she races, men and women. Not to say she has other interests, I really dont know her, or know anyone that hangs with her. But she certainly has time to do other stuff, she just doesnt flaunt much in any regard, I like that about her.

And she just didn't drop off the turnip truck and get to where she is, I remember her swimming 3/2rd pack and having to work very hard to move up to where she is now comfortable in the lead group. And she didn't have as far to go on the run, but once she saw what Rinny and Chrissie could do at the end of an Ironman, she spent a couple years and not only closed that gap, but now could go head to head with anyone and still probably win with an even start in T-2.

But that is the real weapon for her now, it is very hard to even come to T-2 with her, and if you do, you are probably not in the running class of the ladies I just mentioned. And keep in mind she won today by a good margin, I have a feeling there were another couple/few minutes there in the tank, being hoarded for an all out assault on Kona this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talent, work ethic and a fringe women’s sport that has a limited number of athletes who want to compete in it.

There was a 30 min gap between first and 10th at Kona last year for the women. That doesn’t happen if it’s a popular sport. She may still be dominate but it’s significantly less likely if you had the talent base of say swimming.
Quote Reply

Prev Next